Forums

Help › Forums

World Stroke Play Rankings 23 June 09

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 2 2009 10:58 PM (36 replies)
  • badaboom
    238 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 3:06 PM

I just wish people would quit bringing up what they golf in real life and try to compare it to this game.  While this online game is closest to real golf out there it is still just a computer game will always be just a computer game.  Until  I can get out on the course and use my finger to hit the ball then I can compare the two.

• SteveOhh
    33 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 6:26 PM

I like the idea Tallacepaul, however, I do think some kinks need to be worked out. I don't know what they are yet but its a step in the right direction.  I think with the introduction of BPB and the changes made to the tiers did get rid of the relevance of the average based ranking system (good thing) and something needs to replace it. 

I do have to disagree with you tibbets about the value of the International Opens.  Although no prize is involved it is a free "single" play.  These single play tournaments just like the Championship round of the US Open I think need to hold the most relevance because they are a one shot deal.  Its not who can sit on the computer the longest in these unlimited play tournaments quit and restart rounds until they post a number in the tournament and better their average.  I know with no prizes involved there is not as much incentive, but let's face it I don't think anyone is making a living off playing WGT. Yes, I would like the win the prizes if I can but I basically play for the competition and enjoyment.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 6:50 PM

I like it Paul. And all tournaments should count, just like in the PGA. Although something has to be wrong with the current standings. Git is way worse than me ;p

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 7:03 PM

Steveohh...Single play tournaments do show a lot...If I didn't have to go to work & could spend so much time restarting one until I had the course memorized I would have great scores too.  People that actually play it out  until they finish on a single play tournament get my respect. I see you Nasagolfer ,Nivlac, Ncviz,, Lee, Tibbets on the US Open & finishing well -  in order of appearance this time around & being the usual top scorers (at least the ones I can remember right now). They have skills & the guts to finish it.  And trying not to leave anyone out...Keith35, MrBoo,Mwb5010 & Hightower 3!  also usual toppers. .. & good job Bart6961 =)

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:05 AM

Viz is right Paul.  Back to the drawing board :).

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 9:56 AM

all players have a level some reach greatness and some fall short, i've played golf for over 30 years and the lowest i got to was 8. how ever hard i tryed that was the best i could get too thats my level. some never get to single figures some give up.

but at least i can compete with everybody at my club and know i still have the chance of glory.

theres room on this site for scratch and handicap comps just don't dismiss the concept out of hand tibbets.

• SkipMan20
    29 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 2:17 PM

I am a little long winded, Sorry! While I do not completely disagree with Tib, the tiers are in some way a handicap; however I have to agree we need a handicap system.  The handicap system levels the field for those like me that can only play a limited amount of time. One thing we must remember, all pro golfers play and practice for hours each day because that is their job. They have the time!  It is not Rocket Science to know you have to play hours daily to compete in this great, great game.  I have been a member since March 2008 and when I could play for hours each day I could at least place in the tourneys.  I have no time to play others with the little time I have is used trying to play unlimited tourneys to post a good score or closest to the pins test. We are not Pros and our lifestyles and work life dictates the amount of time one can play. Some are lucky I guess. The handicap system evens this aspect of time playing out to a level playing field. Everyone needs to have a chance to win.  I have not entered many tourneys because winning is difficult. My time is limited.  The only consolation I have is to keep my ranking low even if players say it is not real, and I do not disagree with that statement completely; the average is real because someone shot the scores at one time or another and can win anytime and beat anyone on a given day.  Give us some credit!  I see some players not posting for weeks and months with less than 100 rounds ranked on the front page and this is not right in my eyes.  I spent every moment I had playing BP, and I am good.  I broke 70 three ties and did not post because I thought I could do better and I did not.  I got burned by not posting a 67 or 68 because the big guns were low, but it shows; one never knows what happens on game day, so my hat is off to you players that did compete. The course was a brutal test that I loved.  I take nothing from the best but it was good to see the wealth spread around to NASA golf.  I personally believe the ranking is out of whack, but give us credit for getting low; however there are over 50 players that could be in that top ten.  I wish we could re-set to 150, devise a true ranking system, (deduct points or remove a player from the ranking; (me included )that for whatever reason(s) do not post a score in 7-10 days), and please, please handicap the field.  I worked hard to be a 60.00, but in today’s WGT, I would be about a 67/69 if I posted every time I could play.  One thing everyone is forgetting is WGT is a game and we want to have as much fun as possible, which means we all want a chance to at least compete, place and maybe win.  The best can be beat, but the odds are high without a HANDICAP SYSTEM. So yes; I like being ranked number one, I like being in the top ten with a true ranking system. I have been in the top ten for 7 months!  I would rather have a chance at winning over ranking or I have to just keep cherry picking my score postings as a top ten ranking is my only consolation prize; because sooner or later I will shoot that low one and that 60.00 will be a 59.00 and you all know this will occur sooner than later.  That is called game management, collecting some credits, picking up some hardware for the trophy case, and maybe, just maybe winning a tourney for the big prize; while keeping a respectful number of posted rounds and a good average.  A lot can happen; it is a long year, Talk to me at the end of the year. 

• SkipMan20
    29 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 2:34 PM

One last thing I want to clear up so no one thinks I played with two accounts.  My profile states member since October 2008, actually I was a part of the first Beta in March/April of 2008.  I used SkipMan as my account.  Once WGT made upgrades and put us live, I could not get on my SkipMan account and just opened a new one with all the new players coming in and started anew at a 150 average like all players at that time. (No cheating).  I consulted with WGT about this and they said no big deal.  It was clear the SkipMan account was true Beta and was canceled in October 2008 and SkipMan 20 was my new and only account once we left the first true Beta Test.

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:06 PM

I think there should be two rankings that reset every year.  So we would have a "season" like the PGA.    1.  Money List  2. Point system based on play in Single play tourneys.  The only way to earn points is to compete in and complete the single play tourneys.  Here's an interesting link of how the world golf rankings are established. http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/about_us/default.sps?iType=425

You'll see here that different pros have competed in different number of tourneys.  Tiger is #1 and has competed in 50 tourneys while #39 Jeev Singh has competed in 71.  Tiger is still higher ranked because he has done better in the tourneys that he has competed in.

I agree with Tibbets that there should not be a handicap system.  Maybe we have multiple "Tours" instead of "Tiers."  Like the PGA and Nationwide tours.  Maybe the tours are similar to the real tours: PGA, Nationwide, Gateway, and NGA Hooters Tours.  This is in a sense what people are asking for. 

Nationwide players don't want to have to make their living competing against PGA players every week.  I don't like getting beat every week by the top players, but I keep practicing and crossing my fingers that I will play a great round and win a tourney here and there.  I think they should create "Tours" based on the revised ranking system.  Maybe only the top 20, 30, 50?  money list and/or ranked players are in the top tour and are able to win the top prizes.  Better yet, maybe people have to elect to try and get into certain tours.  But again, there has to be incentive for top prizes.  

Maybe we have a Q-School to see who makes it into the PGA tour.  There could be some real drama like the US Open to try and make the PGA tour (if the top prizes are enough of a draw for people to want to get into the highest tier). For example, the fact that both Pro and Master tiers can win the People vs. the Pros competition is wrong in my opinion.  Why would you reward people for not making it to the highest tier and punish the people who squeaked into the Master tier?  You can have good prizes for the lower tours, but not equal to the top tour.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2009 3:25 PM

One would hope that in the future, the larger tournaments are multiple round ones (*NOTE, not unlimited play).  With the way the game is set up. single play tournaments are very much like lottery golf.  The deviation factors and the unbalanced wind sets make it so you're really just hoping for a good spin of the wheel with how your shots go and how your holes play.  When the wheel is kind and the shot goes somewhere near where you aimed it, you score well.  When it's not kind,  you don't score well.   I've played 18 hole sets where the winds were favorable, the deviations were low, and scored 62 in heavy winds.  I've had other patterns where the winds were going the opposite way, couldn't reach the green in 2 on some holes, and had large deviations, and scored 68.  The difference in score is represented not by my difference in playing ability or not knowing how to play the holes and winds, but in the roll of the dice I was given.

Until the luck factor is lessened , single play tournaments will always largely be about what roll of the dice you get.  We might as well not even bother having rankings for awhile until this whole "lottery golf" thing goes away, or until they institute multiple round tournaments.  The system was set up for it in the US Open...I'm not sure why they didn't have us play multiple rounds.  *scratches head*

If you don't believe what I am saying here, ask any of the other "top players" what they think.  If you've been around awhile and play at a high level, you'll know exactly what I mean by "lottery golf".

*edit*  A final note on handicapping:

If you think the multiple accounts/sandbagging issue is bad now, multiply the problem by a factor of 10 if there were a handicapping system in place where people were actually  giving or getting strokes against/for  in moneyed tournaments.

RSS