Forums

Help › Forums

New Algorithm for Average?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 18 2010 9:23 PM (2 replies)
  • racoondad
    322 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:03 PM

Today I noticed a couple of good rounds dropped my average by 2 strokes, while a couple of bad rounds only increased it by a tiny fraction. Could be coincidence, or could this be the new algorithm in place as wgt metioned for the upcoming changes?

The numbers on my friends list seem lower across the board, too. Could also be my illusion. LOL.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 8:15 PM

racoondad:
    Today I noticed a couple of good rounds dropped my average by 2 strokes, while a couple of bad rounds only increased it by a tiny fraction.

That's always been the case.

I haven't checked it, but I've heard that it takes your last 14 rounds, minus your 4 worst rounds, and then it averages the 10 that are left.

One thing that can make it rather confusing is that it depends on which round is getting kicked out, too.  For example, I can shoot a 29, which one might think would lower my average, but if my old 14th round was a 28, then the rounds that make up my average are going to stay the same, except for the 28 now being replaced by a 29, and my average will actually go up for shooting a round that is actually lower than my average.

The opposite can also happen.  I can shoot a 32, but if a 34 was my 14th round, then the 32, which is above my average, will either not affect my average at all or even lower it.

Maybe they've changed the average algorithm, I don't know, but averages have always been a little confusing for these reasons.

• racoondad
    322 Posts
    Mon, Oct 18 2010 9:23 PM

Charle, I think you're quite right. They use the average of 10 lowest rounds out of last14, with more recent round taking more weight or something like that.

But this was just my gut feeling, or rather a wish. Make the average much easier to go down than go up, hopefully to curb sandbagging.

RSS