Help › Forums

Pinehurst Observations

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 25 2014 9:53 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JasonNumber100
    2,906 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 1:34 AM

It's a tough course. Just when you think you have it mastered, it bites you on the backside. I started birdie, birdie. I couldn't believe it, but a few holes later I was on the bogey train. I had three bogeys in a row. Then later I got a double bogey. Never let your guard down on this course.

1) Stats - don't lie. I looked at mine afterwards. Driving and GIR was poor. Putting wasn't good.

2) Domed greens. If your approach is slightly off your ball will roll off the green. On a par 5, landed on the green not far from the hole, looked good. Then it rolled off the green and landed in a bunker.

3) Green Speed - can be so fast downhill that you can roll off the green. Reminds me of Augusta. Some of the breaks are unbelievable.

4) Length - some of the Par 4s are so long, for me I just have to do a good flop onto the green.

It's a tough course but a challenge.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 7:06 AM

On the Golf Channel I saw Bubba Watson doing his press conference. He said some things that caught my attention right away. As usual he said the course setup is the hardest they play all year and if it was this way every week he'd be doing something else for a living. Despite his ability to crush drives and hit very high approach shots he'd take +2 every day and be done with it. The mental cruelty of playing in an Open is what gets to the players the most knowing they have to accept bogies as being normal. For the most part he just wants to get to the end and move on. Again, this is a player with all the natural abilities to play very well on Pinehurst. Took me by surprise how negative he sounded about the upcoming week like it was a torture he just had to get through.

I also saw some course set up information and the "Pro talking heads" all said the greens are going to be unreal/unfair if it doesn't rain at some point. Our Champ Speed Greens run fast but what they're going to be facing is nuts.

All perspective I suppose. :)

• TarheelsRule
    5,492 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 7:46 AM

I generally keep my course notes in my head because with a few exceptions they don't make that much difference.

However at Pinehurst you really need course notes, either the WGT version or your own version.   There are just places you can't attempt to hit the ball and expect a good result and places where a miss 15 feet right is better than 4 feet left.

I saw the interview with Bubba Watson and more impressively the interview with Crenshaw and the other designer on the Golf Channel.  They spoke of why they make specific changes to the course over the 2005 and 1999 version.   I have played this course in real golf since starting back in the 60's through the 90's.  The course had really changed over the years and I'm glad to see it taken back to the way it was.

The pros, if the weather stays hot and dry are going to have to play really well to shoot anything under par.   The equipment helps with the 7500 yard par 70 length but the precision is what will win the day.  Look for Phil to do well if his putter is working.   The short game will be the key to the winner, much more than in the past 2 opens there.

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Wed, Jun 11 2014 7:47 AM

Wow rly?

Comparing that assessment to WGT's abomination is like asking Sabine Schmitz if she sets up and drives Nurburgring the same way she drives Mario Kart.

WGT isn't golf, not in any sense.. hahahaha

• TomFetner
    34 Posts
    Thu, Jun 12 2014 5:55 PM

The one thing that we don't have to deal with playing the "virtual" open that the players do is the choking dust clouds from all the spectators walking through the sand.  When I got home from the tournament this afternoon, I immediately got in the shower.  On number 6 green it looked like a fog bank had rolled in because so many spectators were crammed into a  very confined area.  They really need some rain there.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 2:52 AM

TomFetner:

The one thing that we don't have to deal with playing the "virtual" open that the players do is the choking dust clouds from all the spectators walking through the sand.  When I got home from the tournament this afternoon, I immediately got in the shower.  On number 6 green it looked like a fog bank had rolled in because so many spectators were crammed into a  very confined area.  They really need some rain there.

Nice reply :)  Something different we usually don't hear about

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Jun 13 2014 3:52 PM

Just adding to my previous post.  Watching the comp on the telly, the course looks really dry. Maybe a good soaking of rain will do it good,

I might be spoilt looking at the wgt graphics of the course....lol

-Roger

• TopShelf2010
    10,881 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 4:45 AM

• devonnnnn
    1,085 Posts
    Sat, Jun 14 2014 8:30 AM

Watched Thursdays coverage, was very impressed with how WGT really remade Pinehurst. Definitely the best recreation yet.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 1:52 AM

devonnnnn:

Watched Thursdays coverage, was very impressed with how WGT really remade Pinehurst. Definitely the best recreation yet.

I agree.  Well done Wgt!

I just caught a glimpse of this in some highlights and not paying too much attention at the time, but did  Adam Scott drive the 3rd hole?

-Roger

• PAGES
RSS