Forums

Help › Forums

~ 2014 WORLD CUP PREDICTOR ~

Thu, Jul 17 2014 2:49 PM (1,123 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 1:04 PM

Congratulations MM for your remarkable knack for predicting the results - I too could have done just as well but I heard that VEM will be stepped up for the winner :)

But also to everyone who stayed with it throughout the tournament, well done.

To Johnny, huge thanks from me - it was immensely enjoyable, especially after Australia unexpectedly did not win the tournament and crashed and burned early! It kept my interest up all the way through. The organisation was superb and appreciated by everyone.

I would be in for a season long Premiership, but this would be a lot to ask of you updating the results for such an extended period and with so many games. I also wonder how many would see it through a whole season.

Champions League could work, but the split time frames of games could be an issue (bearing in mind football does not get the same following and press coverage here).

The format, points etc. for predictions I think was spot on - it was difficult searching back to find results - probably more so for you, so wondered if there was a better way to collate all the predictions.

• SPINO1
    5,394 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 1:40 PM

Perhaps if it was limited to 64 entrants, you could divide the league into 4 quarters.The bottom 16 miss the cut as it were every quarter.

final 16.

This would mean your work would lessen as the season goes on, and keep it competitive through out.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 2:39 PM

I give you our 2014 WORLD CUP PREDICTOR CHAMPION........

Germany MAINZMAN

CHAMPION:  3,000 WGT credits + Trophy (Wowee!) ; MainzMan

*Runner(s) Up: 1,125 WGT credits each ; Foresight0311 + Gdog8

4th place: 500 credits ; 8buster8

*2nd & 3rd prize (1500cr + 750cr) was split between both entrants.

Huge thanks to all our sponsors for their kind donations both during and at the conclusion of the event.

• Stevereilly
    • Onekeano
    • Adeypa
    • Stormdance
    • LucBD
    • Stobsbee
    • AlbertoBQ
    • Mantis0014
    • Twominusone
    • WT2010

All the winners are on my bud list - please either post here or pm me with your requested items from the pro shop.

FAO sponsors : I'll get in touch to let you know what to send who asap. Thanks for your cooperation gents.

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 3:06 PM

It would be remiss of myself not to give a big shout out to a long time friend on here that perhaps doesn't play just as much nowadays.

This was the first time I've ever used Google docs/sheets to create/display a spreadsheet of my own that I'd created from scratch. I was very wary of making a right baws up of it - especially over the weekend periods when one or two beers may have been  downed.

I need not have worried though as looking over my shoulder was an old CC bud that kindly offered to keep me right throughout. The guys from Bridgstone CC will already know to whom I refer. 

Cheers DAVE. I won't mention his aka on here as I know he's never been one that craves the limelight. The man has probably forgotten more than I'll ever know regarding Excel etc .

Thanks again D - yer a star.

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 3:28 PM

Congrats to all the winners and sponsors,been a fun comp.Roll on the next one :)

Russell

• Foresight0311
    1,212 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 5:08 PM

russellfahey:

... Roll on the next one :)

Russell

+1

Johnny - to answer your question about the next one, I am happy with any format, any league.  Count me in.

However, we need to make the logging of predictions an easier process to manage.  Imagine having to identify and key-in 320 predictions (assuming 32 players and 10 matches) every week, for 38 weeks.  It can be a delight only if one loves nightmares.

A suggested approach to direct entry in the spreadsheet by players is as follows ("D" can guide us and institute suitable controls in the spreadsheet):

a) the spreadsheet is locked at all times, with access only available to you.  The exception will be a short period (say 2 days), when the spreadsheet is made open for direct entry of predictions by the players, for matches relating to the following week.

b) let players enter their predictions directly into the spreadsheet during this two-day period.  Players must ensure that they enter their predictions during this period should they wish to participate.  You can accept or reject a late entry - made in the forum or as a private message - in your capacity as the Tournament Director.

c) every player should also post the predictions in the forum as a means to cross-check in the event of any issue - a possibility is that the prediction made by "X" is erroneously/inadvertently changed by "Y" while entering his/her prediction.

d) once the final results are entered by you, the scores will auto-populate, similar to how it must have been designed for the world cup predictor spreadsheet.

e) the suggested process will have to be refined, for it to be in sync with spreadsheet controls that can, or cannot, be possible.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Mon, Jul 14 2014 10:59 PM

I dont know Jackshat about setting up spreadsheets John, but heres an idea that might work, if its possible to do. 

Set up the spreadsheet so that everyone can enter predictions on it. But once they hit that return key for logging the scores, it gets locked in, and can only be altered by the head honcho (You). 

A simple post on here by whoever makes a mistake when entering predictions can be solved easily by your good self then. 

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 2:58 AM

Thanks for the input regarding future ventures folks.

I've read through the replies thus far and I'll hopefully cover all points made with the following.

@ Spino

Given that this particular event ran right to the last game before the final placings were known I'd be inclined to keep the points awarded the same

I would however look to incorporate bonus points as you suggested regarding 1st goal scorer or goal time etc.

As for your later post regarding splitting league - I think that's a good idea - provided all commit to 'staying the course' and that will never happen. What tends to happen is folk that aren't doing well tend to give it a miss. 

I will say though that if it were to be a season long event I like the idea of a 'Killer League' whereby last place drops out automatically after a given timespan, be it weekly, fortnightly, or whatever.

@Stobsbee

I tend to disagree with the thought that UK based players would gain any advantage if the comp' was focused on the English Premier League. It's a worldwide brand and probably the most watched league in the world thanks to Sky TV and the internet.

I reckon anyone that follows football anywhere around the globe will have their own team that they support  but will also have a favourite that they follow from the Premiership too. 

One look at the top placings in this particular event confirms the above in my opinion.

@ Alanti

Understand completely your points regarding the Champions League and tbh it's really something I threw in there to see the response. It would also cover the points made by Stobsbee regarding a mix of different leagues.

As far as the difficulty regarding tracking previous results/predictions. I thought the link to the spreadsheet helped cover that, no?  You're correct in that it was difficult at times this end to ensure I was catching all predictions made. Ideally I'd have loved to have included a 'drop down' menu inserted on the actual thread whereby folk would just click  it open, click a name, et voila their own, or others predictions, would instantly pop up.

I did try that myself but found that my knowledge of the required code to ensure it worked on this site was limited.... anyone? I'm thinking  a 'container' is required to allow that to work?

@ Foresight

All you've suggested was considered prior to starting this event, the problem being; leaving the Spreadsheet open to others to fill in  also opens the door for those naughty folk out there to wreak havoc too.

Within the confines of a CC, where all are usually long term friends on here, it works perfectly as I'm sure you know having participated in numerous previous comps in my old home. There is a way around it and I'll address that in the next reply.

@ Twominusone

Again sound ideas with regards folk entering own predictions the drawback being the same as I referred to replying to Foresight above.

In order for entrants to have access to the spreadsheet to enter their own scores etc I'd need an e-mail address from all concerned.  If that did not happen and I post the link on an open thread then I fear it would eventually be disrupted by someone that happens to have a personal grievance with any of those taking part.... though I'm prettty sure I have no enemies out there............. pfft

Again if others know a simple way to get around any stumbling points regarding allowing folk to enter data without others tampering with it I'm all ears.

Hope I've covered all responses. 

One last point - please bear in mind that all I'm trying to do is set something up that allows all to participate and that my own self interests are secondary. Fully aware of the old adage 'Can't please all etc'  - What I can do is to try and please most .

Jees my finger tips are blistered noooo!

I await the slingshots chaps.

Off to hit some baws!

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 3:23 AM

Huge Congrats to all the winners!

It's been a great, fun comp and thoroughly enjoyed.  Thanks Jonny ...Fantastic Job!!

I'm still shocked I came in 10th place as I hardly know anything about The World Game.  I'm a one eyed Aussie Rules Football man....lol

-Roger

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Tue, Jul 15 2014 4:16 AM

mantis0014:

Huge Congrats to all the winners!

It's been a great, fun comp and thoroughly enjoyed.  Thanks Jonny ...Fantastic Job!!

I'm still shocked I came in 10th place as I hardly know anything about The World Game.  I'm a one eyed Aussie Rules Football man....lol

-Roger

Cheers roger - thanks for beating me , here on the predictor and also on the course in the game earlier............... revenge will be mine!!!!!

Sod it..forget predictor...any wgt experts wanna give me some lessons? forgotten how to play this darn game lately.

:)

RSS