Forums

Help › Forums

Be critical, but fair.

Thu, Sep 30 2010 8:31 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bryan24
    68 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 2:57 PM
    See the thing is most of us legends don't disagree that WGT needs to make it a little tougher for us. However with that said we do need a fighting chance to compete with the players hitting off the ladies tees. The new ball isn't the answer in fact I will probably use a cheaper ball now than I was using before this mess. The ball I switched to recently has not reduced my scores much if at all. I support Wgt'S effort to make it more difficult for the legends (still have a hard time saying that without laughing) . But, 50- 60 yards on each hole is a bit overboard. Give me a legends only driver that makes up half the distance and I will shut it..... bryan (legend) lol
  • VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 3:38 PM

GL57:
    WGT has introduced the new level system to discourage sandbagging and quitting, which are two real problems

GL57,

I agree with your plea for all of us to take a deep breath and let things play out. There are a lot of very legitimate complaints about the changes made, and needed changes. You are absolutely correct that the way they are addressed is the important thing to consider. 

That said, I would like to point out the quote above, from your original post. After the new tier system was in place, WGT was very specific in the updates threads to point out that these changes were in no way designed to address quitters and/or sandbaggers. It was released as something new and exciting, designed to keep players challenged. I totally agree with your points about this new system not addressing these issues, but in fact, they were not intended to. There is, unfortunately, nothing in place at all to address these issues.

• GL57
    83 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 3:41 PM

To Bryan.

In the context of tournaments, especially Ready-Go's, I will concede the point, albeit with some hesitation. Consider the best legends among us, and you will see that despite the current situation, these pesky wizards are still pulling some unreal scores and averages. Give them a new beastly driver, and we're right back in fantasy land. Mind you, some virtual golfers enjoy the escape, as they indulge in an orgy of birdies and eagles.  

I. myself (who have been with WGT since 2008 and have after the recent change closed my previous legend account to make a fresh start with a new one), have had my share of fantasy golf and relish in the challenge that is so reminiscent of the real thing. I even bought the most demanding and risky equipment to keep things real. And if I can measure up to typical PGA scorecards, I'm content.

Now, to Halenlover.

I beg to differ. The whole level.system rightfully rewards players who complete rounds and leaves the quitters behind. And that was clearly premeditated. As for discouraging sandbagging, the argument is more subtle and convoluted, and greatly controversial.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:18 PM

GL57:
    Give them a new beastly driver, and we're right back in fantasy land.

There are roughly 800 Legends, a small percentage of the total, and most are unhappy playing the championship tees with the old equipment.  The new ball doesn't cut it.

WGT needs to put this behind them and get it sorted out so they can work on bigger problems, sandbagging, multiple accounts, and The Meter.  And work on new pins, new features and new courses.  Things that affect every member.

Quick solution, just add 15 yards to the pro shop G10, R9, i15 and R9 Super Tri and make them new clubs specific to the Legend tier. The old models still available via levels.

The new clubs would have yardages thus:

g10=285yds, R9=290yds, i15=287yds, and R9 SuperTri=293.

That increase plus what ever increase we get from balls (5 - 10 yds?) ought to do it IMO.

I wouldn't consider those numbers as beastly GL57.

Oh yeah, and leave the levels for the new drivers where they're currently set.  We'll have an incentive to work towards them.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:35 PM

GL57:
    The whole level.system rightfully rewards players who complete rounds and leaves the quitters behind. And that was clearly premeditated

GL57,

I'm not disagreeing with the fact that it at least begins to address these issues, I was merely stating the fact that WGT has been very clear that this was not the intent of the changes. Based on their unwillingness to respond to related topic threads, I'm guessing this was the design of those statements!

VHL

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:35 PM

Andyson:

Im not a legend, probably never will be. Never could keep my avg below 64 because I do rotate thru the courses. And frankly my hand eye coordination has always lets me down. IM one of the few with a good meter.

I pretty much agree with everything in your above post. Perhaps if they haven't been so aggressive about using the big boy tips, some of the problems would have been solved.

What GL57 has stated about the need to make it harder to cherry pick, was I feel pretty spot on.

And Im actually seeing the new experience point adjustment to be much better. And I think they will continue to fine tune it.

What surprises me the most? I wonder why stance lie adjustments and draw or fade have not been implemented Yet. I would have made that available to the legends only first too see how that effected there scoring avg as a whole. That and a combination of slightly faster greens and a modest moving back of the tees, would have been a better solution.

For now, make legend tournaments..ready goes MPC etc. be tier specific.

• GL57
    83 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 4:36 PM

In a democratic spirit, may the majority rule and have WGT feel like TWO, on medium easy! 

And for those who -- like me -- insist on keeping it real, they have ways of making the game more challenging.

All the best!

• rehill
    431 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:01 PM

I love everything about the legends tier. I don't play the game to make money, I play for enjoyment. I get a lot more of that after the update. Maybe I'm alone, but that's just how I feel.

• GL57
    83 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 5:19 PM

If you had read my posts, you would know you are not alone.

Mind you, at times when I am tired and particularly unwell, I must confess I start pining after less harsh conditions. But for me, the most daunting part of these conditions is not the extra distance or the tournament greens, which are fine by me, it's the dizzying meter speed. 

I'm just old, I guess.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Thu, Sep 30 2010 8:31 PM

My very 1st practice round using heavy winds, champion tees.  The score is irrevelant because it was the distance on first and second shots that I was most concerned with (although the score was good). 

I had no real problems reaching any hole in regulation.

I do use R9 SuperTri, Ping i15 fairway wood 3, i15 Master iron set and the ball was GI3-D.  Some of the winds I do remember are:

#10..15 at 7...#13...20 at 5...#17...17 at 10...and #18...16 at 4

I wanted to be critical but by the end of the round it felt fair and realistic.

• PAGES
RSS