Help › Forums

Looking for timing tip...

rated by 0 users
Sat, Sep 5 2009 4:47 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • NateDiggy
    36 Posts
    Thu, Jun 4 2009 1:21 AM

I splurged and bought the R9 driver...love the extra distance, only now i'm a bit off due to the meter speed differences between the driver and every other club.

I know I need to practice hard, and that there's is no simple way around this, but does anyone have any tips on dealing with the timing difference?

UPDATE - Nevermind, gang...after a few rounds, I've learned that it's not exactly rocket science.  Sorry for the post.

• JCarrier
    9 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:40 PM

It is rocket science to me, any suggestions would be appreciated

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:45 PM

The answer is GI-D balls (they slow down your meter).  

• JCarrier
    9 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 12:48 PM

Thank you....Oh yea, I am insane.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 1:03 PM

Better late than never. (I'm referring to the purchase of golf balls.)   

(By the way, I would not recommend the R9 driver as the preferable upgrade option for Pro players, but rather the Rapture driver for $9 instead. The difference in yardage is negligible, only 10 yd, but the Rapture's swing meter is a lot slower & forgiveness a lot higher.)

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 1:39 PM

I count off a 3 "second" rhythm in my head.  Draw back, let go, 1...2....CLICK!  Rarely will you not hit a full shot with your driver, so having a steady and consistent rhythm will go a long way to tighten up the timing.

Also, do you have any other timing or rhythm based games in which to improve that skill?  Giggle all you want, but I'm willing to bet as a general rule that players who excel at timing and rhythm based games like Amplitude, Rock Band and Guitar Hero having a better timing instinct than those who don't.  It's a practiced skill just like anything else.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 2:11 PM

So Niv... are you saying that with your rhythm method you can actually close your eyes and hit your driver?  Or do you need the visual clues, as well?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 2:28 PM

For me it's a combination of timing and visual.  I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but there will be times I'm staring so hard at the screen while the meter is running that my eyes lose their place and reset my focus.   This is nearly impossible to explain, but there are split seconds where my eyes "go googly" and I lose the visual on the meter.  I dunno if anyone else can relate to that, but I'm often still able to make perfect or near perfect contact because I guess my timing instinct takes over when my eyes fail.  I play a lot of rhythm video games and I'm also a drummer, so I believe that's something helps me a lot.

I'd be willing to give it a go with no eyes one time for fun though. :)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 3:03 PM

Hey Niv... we got a t-time for 10:30 tomorrow.. come and play with your eyes closed.. for fun, yea.  =)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 22 2009 3:18 PM

Perhaps we'll see (I mean won't see) a September Blind-Folded Open    to follow up on this month's August All Ladies Open tournament? Every month a refreshing new absurdity... And it would certainly help some players return their scores to more realistic levels, even AvatarLee. 

• PAGES
RSS