Forums

Help › Forums

I need a FoolProof technique against cross winds

Mon, Jul 28 2014 9:42 AM (85 replies)
  • opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 5:46 PM

Sorry , But I can not help myself here .

Pissing Into the wind does not work .

Bad OPY 

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 7:14 PM

The chart below originally posted in this thread

A few points before using this off-ding approach:

1 if cross wind is not exactly 90 degree to aim point, you'l need to estimate what part of total wind displayed is 'crosswind' - rule of thumb is: if wind is at 45 degrees, crosswind component is about 70% of displayed wind.

2 Hitting 'off-ding' does not come without penalty -  mis-hits will cost yardage and the bigger the mishit the larger the loss. rule of thumb: hitting at outer limits of light blue 'near-ding' region will cost about 5% of normal yardage; hitting halfway into lite blue (at the 10mph points) will only cost 2 or 3 % of normal distance.

3 It is 'accurate' ONLY for FULL shot type and reasonable spin. 

4 Displayed wind is NOT a constant value! it is an average wind and varies randomly - actual wind at ime u hit can vary up to +/= 30 - 50%!

Using the chart, if u have 20 mph crosswind, and hit early (or late) as indicated the ball will land on a line close to your aiming point, after that of course terrain determines final lie.

As you can see I developed the chart originally as a 'shot-shaping' guide, but over time realized that that lite blue region is pretty linear for wind compensation.

In actual game play I use a combination of off-ding and small aim adjustments

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 7:35 PM

opyeuclid:

Sorry , But I can not help myself here .

Pissing Into the wind does not work .

Bad OPY 

Ya effing nutz!

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 7:37 PM

gr8flbob:
    In actual game play I use a combination of off-ding and small aim adjustments

I'm the opposite in med-high winds-sans the R and A courses, I aim, then try to hit a bit late/early into the wind to hold my line.

What ever works I suppose is the best approach!

• jsweetcr
    1,209 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 8:12 PM

move yardage decimal over 2 spots(left) and multiply by 1.35-1.45(can't tell you how that works), then multiply by wind to get feet of movement then use pitch view and grid to determine how  much to move based on feet of movement, one grid is 30 feet by 30 feet, each small box is 2 by 2.

Last step, swing and pray!

Hope that clears things up

No i don't use this on EVERY shot. I do something else some of the time, but not all of time, but its neither here nor there or in the air, whats good for a some, won't work for all

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 8:24 PM

I mathematically and scientifically calculate how to hit the shot perfectly and exactly where I want to, then do something totally different....what this does is eliminate the worst possible result and gives me a 50% chance of hitting a good shot, and a 50% chance of hitting a great shot....

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 8:30 PM

fatdan:

I mathematically and scientifically calculate how to hit the shot perfectly and exactly where I want to, then do something totally different....what this does is eliminate the worst possible result and gives me a 50% chance of hitting a good shot, and a 50% chance of hitting a great shot....

And a 50% chance of...

Sorry, thought I'd toss a little Yogi Berra in there;)

• rollone
    772 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 8:49 PM

I too want yellow Callys please and ty

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 9:08 PM

alexk345:
    Any expert method  to hit straight in cross winds?

I would recommend playing TL's in match play. Maybe make a post asking if any TL's want to play match play.

• alexk345
    1,148 Posts
    Fri, May 23 2014 9:15 PM

so no one have clue. ok

RSS