Forums

Help › Forums

Make it realistic, please.

Mon, Sep 27 2010 10:52 PM (33 replies)
  • mekongmarcus
    152 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 6:26 AM

MJS74:
    The answer therefore, bigger variance for missed dings.  Rewards the true legends.

I would vote for that.

• Warof1812
    44 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:01 AM

I'm thinking that the playing field would be leveled considerably if we all had the play with the same ball.

Or perhaps had only two balls from which to choose.

• OwenCrew
    52 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 7:20 AM

mekongmarcus:

MJS74:
    The answer therefore, bigger variance for missed dings.  Rewards the true legends.

I would vote for that.

I actually disagree on this, at least until fades and draws are worked into the system. Right now, I rarely try to "ding" it off the tee. I often play for the much safer intentional "fade" (click late) or the occasional "draw" (click early). I typically try to "ding" irons, wedges, and putter, but there are a number of exceptions to this as well.

The way I see it, a "legend" should not be defined by an ability to play the same shot ("ding") every single time. A legend is someone who can manage each course well and use all of the various shots (including draws and fades) at his/her disposal.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Sep 21 2010 8:30 AM

Faterson:

I think once WGT adds stance control to the game, different ball lies (side/up/down), as well as draw/fade for our shots... this could help make the game more difficult, and to push the best players' averages higher, to more realistic levels.

(The way not to make the game more difficult is, of course, the one employed most recently: forcing the best players to hit all approaches to greens with 3-woods or 3-irons, making all par 3 holes 220+ yards, etc. etc... That's not realistic either, is it?)

We've been talking about this sort of change for over a year...just not in the "model" for now...WGT makes no money on such an enhancement...unless they start selling balls that compensate for the lie...hehe...Harve

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 7:21 AM

Lets also not forget 2 other very real reasons we are different then real Touring Pro's on this game.

1)  We play 4 courses, over and over and over and over and over.  They play 30 plus different courses just on the regular calendar. 

2)  We can start a round and stop a round, then start over, with many people only playing a single course and not posting anything over 60 for 18.  They are playing single play tournaments for big money and dont have the luxury of walking back after the first green to start over until they birdie it

• gobbog
    150 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 9:16 AM

Let a top touring pro play the same course, same pin locations, 2 times a day for 3 months. What do you think he'd be shooting? I think anything over 60 would be a poor round.

• Stryder1261
    931 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 9:40 AM

I think if WGT moved pins alot more often to different locations on the green, putting would automatically become more realistic as well and you would have to keep re-learning greens and approach shots. Throw in some rain every now then to change putts and club distances. arrange the clubs in the pro shop by tiers instead of levels and this game might actually start being more realistic and fun again for all. Just my thoughts on it

• TarheelsRule
    5,486 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 9:52 AM
    The above is a good comment. I realize that we have two sets of tees on some of the courses but I would suggest that the more we mix things up, green speed, tees, pins, etc. the more the scoring would stabilize. I know that if I get on one of the courses and the tees are up from where I play it takes me a while to adjust, same with speed of greens and pin placements.
  • icecap
    4 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 9:25 PM

I wasn't sandbagging and used to be a Pro. I had all starters except for a driver. I got bumped two categories to Master and I can't compete.

OK, so I bought a set a clubs, pardon me for being so WGT illiterate but why can't I get a driver with more distance? I play other folks that are Masters that are hitting 270+

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Mon, Sep 27 2010 10:05 PM

Before we all get to far ahead of ourselves..whats gonna happen when they finally add the long promised lie stance controls and the ability to draw or fade..then lets worry about the rest.

RSS