Forums

Help › Forums

Most awards attained?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 13 2010 2:03 PM (6 replies)
  • Milltycoon
    4 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 5:08 AM

I was wondering which WGT golfer has attained the most awards (out of the 309 available).  There doesn't seem to be a search function for this, so I wondered if anyone knew anecdotally.

I tend to look at opponents' award count in the lulls as I am playing them.  I don't think I have even seen anyone reach 200.  As pointed out in other places on this forum, some of the awards seem impossible.  Even though the award is cumulative, hitting the flagstick on every hole of a course is insanity, and I have never looked through an opponent's award list who has done this on any course.  The "ace award" seems a tiny bit more plausible, since on St. Andrews there are only 2 par-3's, etc., but I have also never seen anyone achieve any of these.  Others are impossible because of longevity (who is going to win 10,000 match play games?), or skill involved (18 birdies in a round?!  100 double eagles?), and at least one requires the best possible equipment and perfect conditions (the 400 yard drive).

And a lot of awards are for "undesirables"--a choked tee shot, balls in the sand or water, missing 1-foot putts, or having extraordinarily long putts throughout a round (necessary for attaining the high Long Distance Putter awards).  If there weren't awards for these, no one would ever want them as part of their golf rounds.  And some of these have incredibly high requirements for the highest awards (5,000 yips, 10,000 chokes).  So these should probably also be deemed essentially "impossible".

The person who has the most awards, then, probably has to be of a high tier (you have no chance for long drives or water saves or Boom Booms with anything lower than Pro clubs), yet have a ton of mistakes on their record (yips, chokes, bunkers, water, long putts), even though they also have a mastery of their short game (consistently perfect Greens in Regulation, long holed Approach shots).  And they have to be utterly obsessive about playing (to get anywhere close to any of the longevity awards), but probably not move too quickly up the tiers (because it is too hard to birdie every shot when the tees are so far back), not to mention that most obsessive WGT elites are interested in tournaments, not in building up their award count.

So who has the most?

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:35 AM

I have over 200 but will not be anywhere near the top guys tally;

• jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 9:55 AM

I know Iconian has 239.  NcViz 231.  Bollox has 226.  Pricehcs 219.  I have 218.  Probably some folks out there with more but these were the leaders that I know of.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 12:02 PM

I have a lowly 187, but I am interested only in the awards that indicate fine play. We have several awards that reward poor play, and I avoid attainment of them unless it should happen naturally. Many are easy to gain, but defy any logic to do so beyond bragging right.

• DougBieker
    333 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 12:24 PM

206 here.....but only if they had an award for most putts to lip out......

• Pangaea
    242 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 12:59 PM

Saving par 10,000 times after hitting it in the water would be something. Anybody want to go for it? :D

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Mon, Sep 13 2010 2:03 PM

Awards!? What sort of loser does those ;)

RSS