Forums

Help › Forums

WGT lies about the new level system

Fri, Feb 18 2011 7:02 PM (26 replies)
  • TerrySpina
    30 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:16 AM
    I played my butt off to make master, I used Starter clubs till Pro with 10 cent balls, at pro I bought the 7$ tour burner and more 10 cent balls.. I'm a disabled vet, I don't have alot of cash, just alot of time... I played here, sometimes 18 streight hours, for 3-4 months till I made master.. When I made Mater I'm sure WGT heard the scream of joy(10 min later there was an earthquake here in Cal. Not my fault honest).. so I played fer a month with the equipment I had, saving money, and when I finaly had an extra 20$, I loaded my internet card.. I rented a few clubbs and gave them a day to see how they felt.. I rented and then bought my clubbz based on the FEEL, Accuracy, and Forgiveness, and the game became even more fun than I thought it could be.... Then the big change... suddenly all my balls get wet, greenz don't respond anywhere near what they should, and my clubb speed lol.. even when I click the swing meter it continues to move sometimes....sooo I am using the starter irons, lol and WGT range ballz....even with the the starter clubbz the swing meter is hyper speed and up to 40 feet off ...now I get enjoyment sorta outta splashing ballz it was WGT that lost the $$ ...I don't care about the ranking system.. I want what I paid for, or I want WGT to buy back my clubbz at the price I paid ... and yes I read their dissclaimer...lol.. any lawyer will tell ya thatz just a piece of paper that they THINK they can hide behind.... Be Safe
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:27 AM

To the OP, you get bonus level points for finishing multi-player rounds. The bonus points are much more than all the per stroke points accumulated during game play. Members can move-up levels considerably quicker if they would complete their multi-player rounds.

• aceydeucey
    504 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 10:46 AM

Just finished a Multi-Play round with a foursome at Oakmont.  We all finished...(very rare).  

The level points I received for this round was 301 points.  Bonus points are there, you just need to fine a group that will finish the round.

I do feel No Points should be awarded if you don't finish your round.  This will help with the Quitting Issue.

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 1:43 PM

Richard4168:

To the OP, you get bonus level points for finishing multi-player rounds. The bonus points are much more than all the per stroke points accumulated during game play. Members can move-up levels considerably quicker if they would complete their multi-player rounds.

Agreed but they don't have to finish to get points. So it hardly discourages quitting compared to before when an unfinished round was just a waste of time (and balls). The difference in points between finishing and not is not that great. But this was not my main gripe:

The horrendous cynicism of WGT claiming the points system was to make the game more fun and to reward unskilled players and then they go and make the only clubs available to low levels (irrespective of tier) the most difficult ones to use. The only possible reason for that (apart from gross stupidity) is they are trying to force people into buying second-rate goods and then they have to buy the best balls to be able to use them.

• hatch62
    57 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:06 PM

Has anyone heard from WGT since the level change?  Can anyone tell me what the cutoff for Legend is?  Thats so i can stop before i get there.  My equipment can't handle the  champion tee boxes.  WGT is silent and not addressing any of the issues of the people that are buying the balls and clubs.  The only  issues that have been addressed are the ones for the big money winners, and ill never be one of those.

• swannyxx
    303 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:17 PM

VilaRestal:

In the news article about levels, WGT said the following:

"WGT Levels are new and are based on completing rounds and interacting with other players. At new Levels, players will be able to unlock new virtual items previously unavailable to them. Levels will make WGT more fun for everyone regardless of their skill, and also encourage players to finish more multi-player games and matches.

• Players have been pre-assigned to a Level based on their Tier and history with WGT.

The WGT Pro Shop will start unlocking all our virtual golf equipment based on Level rather than Tier. As in real life, you may never play as well as a real pro, but that doesn't mean you can't buy the same equipment they're using. However, also in real life, some golf equipment will continue to be designed for beginners and other for experts, in terms of factors like swing meter speed and forgiveness."

I have a few problems with that:

• "Levels will make WGT more fun for everyone regardless of their skill,"

Except when they get moved up a tier and find they can't buy equipment for it.

• "and also encourage players to finish more multi-player games and matches."

Not really considering you get points whether you finish or not. It does encourage more multiplayer games but doesn't encourage finishing them.

• "As in real life, you may never play as well as a real pro, but that doesn't mean you can't buy the same equipment they're using. However, also in real life, some golf equipment will continue to be designed for beginners and other for experts, in terms of factors like swing meter speed and forgiveness."

Whereas in WGT at the moment you can't buy pro equipment even if you're skilled enough if your level isn't high enough AND the low-level equipment tends to be harder to use than the high-level equipment. Some examples:

•  
      • Ping G10 Driver - meter speed 3, forgiveness 2 (very hard to use) - level 0+ (lol).
      • Ping 2010 rapture V2 Driver - meter speed 1, forgiveness 4 (much easier to use) - level 57+!! (lmao).
      • Ping G10 Pro Iron Set - meter speed 2.5, forgiveness 2 (hard to use) - level 0+ (running out of lol's - getting quite annoyed now)
      • Ping Rapture V2 Iron Set - meter speed 1, forgiveness 4 (easy to use) - level 29+
      • Ping Redwood ZB putter - meter speed 1.5 - level 0.
      • Taylor Made Rossa Daytona putter - meter speed 1 (otherwise identical to the ZB) - level 71+!!!!
      • Taylor Made Spider putter - meter speed 0.5 - level 20+

Such nonsense! The low-level equipment is universally harder to use without exception. Designed for beginners my ****.

WGT you owe us all an apology for treating us like idiots. You should change the system to (if you insist on restricting purchases):

• High tiers needed for long distance, high meter speed, low forgiveness, high precision clubs (for skilled players).
    • Low tiers needed for shorter distance, slow meter speed, high forgiveness, less precision clubs (for less skilled players).

Levels should (if anything) give access to slightly better versions of those clubs. Remember, level is not a measure of skill and lack of level certainly isn't. Why should the low levels be restricted to the harder to use equipment?

Outstanding post.But i must caution you on using common sense with these so called brain trust's at WGT .....It is a sure recipe for disaster

• Waltermydoinhere
    10 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 2:31 PM

Thank god I purchased Master clubs BEFORE all this crap happened...

I"m not sure I understand the benefit of making all clubs available to all people, not base on Tier, but LEVEL...  <-- THEN, making it HARDER TO LEVEL than to achieve what was previously the Master tier?

Looking at points 'gains'....

I played a twosome and averaged about 3 or 4 under doing so.  For this I get approx. ~150pnts.  (Give or take a few) 

A foursome takes roughtly twice as long and you gain (as someone mentioned above) about 300pts. 

Levels are about 1 thousand points or so.  This means about THREE 18hole rounds just to achieve ONE LEVEL up.  This is assuming the amount of points to level up stays @~1k.  As I've seen in a lot of games, the 'cost' to level up get's exponentially higher as you get higher.   

Let's look at when some of these clubs become available.

Level 72?  (153 18 hole games)

Level 87?  (261 18 hole games)

Sure they're on sale now but if/when they come out with the 'new' clubs I'm sure they'll have similar requrements.

I guess a way to look at it is, it gives you something to work for.  A 'reward' so-to-speak for putting in all that time....and time....and time....and time....

• VilaRestal
    95 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 4:09 PM

Waltermydoinhere:
    I guess a way to look at it is, it gives you something to work for.  A 'reward' so-to-speak for putting in all that time....and time....and time....

LOL, yeah. (I trust I detected a note of sarcasm there. So hard to be sure in text.)

And in the mean-time don't go up a tier, or all that time....and time...and time...and time.... will become very arduous indeed.

What you may get now is, instead of people quitting rounds because they hit a double-bogey, people may start quitting rounds because they hit an eagle or one too many birdies (or deliberately hitting a few bogies to cancel them out).

And before anyone says it: That would not be sandbagging: Sandbagging is to gain an unfair advantage. This would be to avoid an unfair disadvantage.

I expect a lot of people are looking at their score and worrying whether it's getting too good.

And when, eventually, we all do reach these massive levels (which many people will at about the same rate because everyone got started on such low levels), what's the bet WGT change the system again?

Anyway, thanks for replying everyone (even the apologists and the 'I'm alright jack'ists). Hopefully WGT are reading this and feeling just a little bit stupid or guilty or both and will change the system (again) to something vaguely sensible.

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Sep 8 2010 4:32 PM

Waltermydoinhere:

Levels are about 1 thousand points or so.  This means about THREE 18hole rounds just to achieve ONE LEVEL up.  This is assuming the amount of points to level up stays @~1k.  As I've seen in a lot of games, the 'cost' to level up get's exponentially higher as you get higher.   

I'm at LVL 33 now and it is about 1600 points to advance.

So it takes longer and longer. Doesn't really bother me though.......I find myself saying "Just one more round tonight and I get a level".....so I play one more round.......and then another.....and another..........damn.....I think I have a problem......

• RussPitney
    27 Posts
    Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:09 PM

I played for a while and took a few months off after coming back I realized that the system had changed. I was shifted from pro to master, but I didn't have enough level points to buy the clubs I already had, let alone keep up with the current pro's with the tee difference. I appreciate the elevation to master, but in doing so you should have leveled people up so they could buy the clubs to match their status. I enjoy this game and have a lot of time and money invested in it, I just wish someone had put a little thought into it while changing the system. As it currently works I can only drive the ball about 270 on average and playing that is using the caloway balls. I still enjoy the game but being out driven by 30 yards on every hole by people that are 2 tiers below you is just a little maddening.

RSS