Help › Forums

To Distance Complaints

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 20 2009 6:56 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MElli22631
    32 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 7:52 AM

I understand the complaints with club distances, but I think you have to undestand the trade offs that WGT have to make the scores have some realism. I for one don't want this to be Tiger Woods and have the scores be 49's.

So if WGT were to increase club distances to more realistic values, then the trade off would be less accuracy. I would assume that to accomplish this the meter speed would be increased drastically. We have enough people complain about that now.....

The outcome would be 275 off the tee and hit maybe 60-65% of the fairways. The other change would be around the green. Currently, you can miss the green just about anywhere and make an up and down. WGT would have to make the rough extremely penal - and have scrambling be a 50/50 chance at best.

Either way you'd get scores around where they are today and probably just complaints about something different.  On a positive note - I think WGT made some good improvements in the last update. We can actually chip the ball now - a welcome update.

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:01 AM

i don't think its about shooting low scores or driving it close to 300. all we want is a fair chance to reach the fairways and greens in regulation. perfect golf is fairway green hole. not rough fairway fairway bunker green hole. if you hit a perfect drive you should have a chance of reaching the green. of course make it hard but please keep it real WGT

• SneezyLynx
    1 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:11 AM

I agree 110% with plim. You can have distance with realism. Simply move the tees back, or better yet have skill points people can use or something. Give it the players choice. Not being able to hit the fairway is gonna turn alot of players off of this game really fast. And if your worried about low scores its to late, people are already posting 28's on 9 holes lol. Just my 2 cents.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:14 AM

I posted this a couple of weeks back.  You want to hit it 280 no problem, just know that you will be in the deep rough 50% of the time.  The net gain would be 0.

I keep seeing posts regarding driving distance so I thought I would throw in my $.02.

Let's look at this logically, currently most people on WGT are averaging between 225 and 235 off the tee, the PGA tour average is 280.  Although this may seem unrealistic, take a look at what you are averaging for driving accuracy.  Currently I am at about 94% as are many others, the PGA  average driving accuracy is 60% and I think David Toms has the highest driving accuracy so far at 74%. 

So currently we are sacrificing distance for accuracy.  As new drivers (with the abitlity to hit greater distances) are released, I think WGT will need to insure that accuracy does not remain at 90+%.  Can you imagine hitting 300 yards drives and being in the center of the fairway 95% of the time? I can, and it is called Tiger Woods.

I know this is a game and that WGT can't expect to have the exact same stats as real life, but I think being in the fairway eveytime is unrealistsic.  As the Driver distances increase into the realm of what is hit on the tour, they also need to insure the accuracy numbers decrease.  Let's say WGT releases a driver that can hit in the 275 - 295 range, with that kind of distance I don't think anyone should average better than 80% off the tee.  As I said, just my $.02

1,644 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:55 AM

To add some food for thought...

Something I think that a lot of people on here have lost sight of is that this site is a digital representation of a completely analog system.  There is absolutely no way that the programmers of this game can cover every scenario under the sun. So yes, the video game version of golf is and always be more accurate than the real thing, because there are only a finite amount of outcomes for any given shot. Real world, it's infinite!  A butterfly flaps its wings 10 miles away and your ball ends up fading into the drink instead of drawing into the fairway.  Look at it like a music CD, to a pure audiophile it will never ever live up to vinyl as far as sound quality and depth.  But it's a lot easier to install a CD player in your car to listen when your on your way to work!  Sure the quality isn't there, but do you really notice it that much?  I don't... then again my hearing isn't all that great anyways!  =P

So what has to happen? Something HAS to be sacrificed.  Whether it's distance, accuracy or deviations, something has to give!  Until there are more options for the player to choose his or her own fate, one or more of these sacrifices needs to be artificially added (or subtracted) from the game.  But one thing holds true... We are all on the same playing field!  We all have to deal with the same issues, we all have the option to upgrade clubs and we all have the option to practice, learn and become better.  So you ask, is this real golf that we are playing? Answer: No, of course not.  Is it close?  Not quite yet... but it's getting there.  Is this site the closest to the real thing? ABSOLUTELY!  

So lets be patient and not force the makers of this site to go the way of the console video game, where everyone can shoot the ridiculous scores. 

That's it,

Lee

• LtHolmes
    6 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 11:51 AM

Hi all this is my 1st post and although I have many thoughts these are a few that comes to mind. Maybe one way to make driving accuracy lower is to remove the wind indicator with exact wind speed and put in a manually controlled way to check wind speed ie: throwing grass in the air and watching which way it goes and how fast the grass goes away from your throw is a good "guess" at the wind speed. once you have hit the ball than you know how much it had moved your ball and subsequent shots would have the wind speed on the indicator untill the next hole when it would start again with you pre shot routine.

As far as the distance problem wow these do need to be corrected  even with upgraded clubs for this game the extra 10 yards I would get from the driver alone cant make up for the fact that on a par 4 on Bethpage Black you will still be very lucky to hit a fairway let alone try to get the green in 2  shots !! on a par 4 that is absurd. This is very poor thinking on WGT that you cannot even reach the fairway from a tee shot. and to think this is the only way to keep scores in perspective to real golf thats nuts i tell ya just nuts

You at WGT have gone the extra mile to make this game realistic and I applaud you for this I truly do feel like I am on a golf course. But true to standards on only some aspects of the game does not make a total real like appearance. In real golf I am a true hack I have come close to 90 but I don’t think I have ever broken it but I can pick up any driver and get that perfect shot and drive it at least 280 if not 300 yards, my longest drive was a par 4  351 yards and I was 3 feet from green.

Camera angles omg fix these!! call world of warcraft and ask them how you can right click and adjust camera angle to adjust view around your player. This is so annoying when u cant even see the putting grid or the alignment of a shot when you are looking at a perspective that just doesnt fit.

• jgriff00505
    1 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 12:58 PM

to all of you haters,

WGT is an awesome game for many reasons,  and its free, so if you're going to do nothing but complain about it dont play

that is all

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 1:16 PM

jgriff00505 ... my hero.

Says more in his one and only post than 80% of all the posters in the last 3 days.

Cheers to you, mate.... Cheers indeed.

• LtHolmes
    6 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 5:12 PM

cheers ?  my hero ? omg!!!

• backspin63
    67 Posts
    Thu, May 28 2009 8:22 PM

Lee: well said my friend! I love whats been done up to date and cant wait for new putters / Balls etc. The game play is fine .. yes there are some system bugs buts thats expected this game is still "BETA" I like the way my new clubs perform very cool! As you said everyone has the option to practice practice practice before they take it to a corse!

• PAGES
RSS