Help › Forums

"Toughest test of golf"

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 29 2009 6:58 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 2:41 PM

"We want this to be the toughest test of golf the players face all year," he said to the assembled members of the media. "If you execute the proper shot, you should get the proper result. If you execute a mediocre shot, you should get a mediocre result. And if you execute a poor shot, well..."

"The USGA may be trying to create a more exciting U.S. Open, but this is still Bethpage Black. Gentlemen, you've been warned."

Full article

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 3:20 PM

Wow.... I read the article.  This line says it all:

"Set up for the championship, the USGA rated the Black Course 78.2 with a Slope Rating of 152."

Holy-freaking-cow.

• beamer750
    38 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 3:55 PM

That is true but the fact remains...when a PGA Pro stands on the tee box, he will avg somwhere around 270-275 and dont get me wrong im not whining..but the r9 driver at best on most of these holes will give you 240 -250 and thats with a 12 mph wind at your back..you gave us the toughest test but did not furnish us with the proper tools...Tibbets i lova ya man but pls dont comment about how you do it with regular clubs, we all know your skill level and thats great that you can do it brother..Im saying for the average master if your gonna put us on the black tees give us something more to hit that a 240yd driver..And for the social golfers on here that dont want to be frustraed in multiplay ..let them have a choice of what course they want to play....LOVE THE GAME..Beamer750

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 4:00 PM

and when a pga pro stand there, he also has a solid chance of mis hitting and putting it into the woods. This game gives us virtually zero chance to hit balls out of play. The ease of controll offsets the lack of yardage, and thats why the scores are still coming out to what pros shoot, some of them are even better scores

• beamer750
    38 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 4:02 PM

As well as you could with a 270 club Shaun..I didnt say anything about shot making brother

• ShaunMcClarty
    270 Posts
    Tue, May 26 2009 4:57 PM

but with how accurate you can be, if you gave people 275 yards off the tee, people would be shooting 59's here. Thats not very realistic either. And no one wants the game to just arbitrarily start causing mishits just cause thats how it really happens. So you have to give up something somewhere

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 9:11 AM

I posted this a couple of weeks back but the facts still remain the same.  As for Bethpage Black, it is every bit as tough as it is playing on the game, manage the course and hit your marks  and you will shoot a halway decent score.

keep seeing posts regarding driving distance so I thought I would throw in my $.02.

Let's look at this logically, currently most people on WGT are averaging between 225 and 235 off the tee, the PGA tour average is 280.  Although this may seem unrealistic, take a look at what you are averaging for driving accuracy.  Currently I am at about 94% as are many others, the PGA  average driving accuracy is 60% and I think David Toms has the highest driving accuracy so far at 74%. 

So currently we are sacrificing distance for accuracy.  As new drivers (with the abitlity to hit greater distances) are released, I think WGT will need to insure that accuracy does not remain at 90+%.  Can you imagine hitting 300 yards drives and being in the center of the fairway 95% of the time? I can, and it is called Tiger Woods.

I know this is a game and that WGT can't expect to have the exact same stats as real life, but I think being in the fairway eveytime is unrealistsic.  As the Driver distances increase into the realm of what is hit on the tour, they also need to insure the accuracy numbers decrease.  Let's say WGT releases a driver that can hit in the 275 - 295 range, with that kind of distance I don't think anyone should average better than 80% off the tee.  As I said, just my $.02

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 10:51 AM

great points, thanks for keeping this thread constructive.

• birdie123
    16 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 11:15 AM

i love the golf course, but as a real life hacker it seems unreal to me that i would go to bethpage and only hit my three wood off every tee, the distance i get with the starter set avg's out to that distance.  I play this for fun so i guess that i would have to spend money to upgrade my clubs.  i used to play on a different web site that people played for money, and i put some in there was so times when the site kept your money, and then u couldn't contact them that's why no money from me so i guess i get what i get

• RSoldin
    13 Posts
    Wed, May 27 2009 1:53 PM

Let's see if I understand this. Those of you that are here for fun have a problem with the tee box you are on. Those of you that are out for the competition are not having much of a problem because you understand the give and take of the simulation compared to the real thing.

I'm thinking that if WGT can satisfy both we would all be happy campers. In the future I see this site having many courses to play and many ways to play them. For example, those that want to play for fun can choose to do so by playing a rounds at any tee they feel like. Such as you do in real golf. If its a windy day on the course you choose a closer tee, if your feeling great you choose a longer tee. But your score will not effect the competitive playing field. If you want to play at WGT competitively then you should play qualification rounds to enter tournaments. If you are a competitive player you can set your prefs so that all your rounds go against your competitive average and you don't have to qualify.

As WGT progresses I can see it setup for the Sunday golfer and the tour golfer. For now, I will echo, we are all on the same field having the same advantages and disadvantages. So, lets just play, give our suggestions and enjoy it.

I really like this site and don't see any problem with it. I picked up the R9 driver after Black was opened up for play (i was put in the masters) and I don't have any problem hitting any of the fairways. Sure the up hill shots make your ball roll a lot more then the real game and you can't get on all par 4 greens in 2, but Black is not a course to shoot low 60s or lower, on. If you shoot in the 60s your doing better than the majority of us. I started playing Black at 64 and now progreesivly going up, at 69 now.Sure I would like to see long drives with my R9 but I don't want to be in the thick stuff either.

My 2 cents worth.

• PAGES
RSS