Forums

Help › Forums

Playing in the WInd

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 15 2014 9:13 PM (35 replies)
  • FuzzzyNutzz
    131 Posts
    Mon, Apr 16 2012 11:44 PM

why so compicated, if the wind is in  a straight line in front of behind i half it. if it is on an angle i divide it further. I'm no pro but that all seems so complicated

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 1:02 AM

It's complicated by whether the ball stops or not. You can almost stop it dead with a headwind but it bounces on with a tailwind meaning you need to land it before the hole and hope for some luck with the bounce.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 8:52 AM

The forumla I use is as follows:

Distance +/- Elevation [that was pretty obvious really, but now it gets interesting]

add (Wind Speed (regardless of direction) divided by Pi to 6 decimal places)

subtract the width of your screen

multiply by (the speed of the processor in your computer / 2) this takes care of the likely meter stutter)

add 5 yards if using a female avatar

multiply by (the angle of wind / 360)  with 0 degrees being at 12 o'clock going in a clockwise direction

subtract (the distance of the person nearest you, in feet, to the nearest toe divided by the age of said person)

subtract 12 yards if tailwind

or

add 12 yards if headwind.

And voila!  It's quite simple really when you think about it.

Or you can do as Lizzie does when she's in cba mode - no calc, no ruler, just hit the f****** thing; she usually gets it somewhere near the green (75.672% of the time) and very occasionally might even hit the green (2.697%), which is about the same as me using my formula.  The other 20 odd percent usually ends up with a lost ball (Lizzie had 2 this morning in one game, but we won't mention that), but hey, that's golf.

Hope this helps.

• saltiresfan
    2,266 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 9:43 AM

But what if my computer has a dual core? Will that throw the calculation off hugely in step 4? Also asking people for their ages can be awkward.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:06 AM

saltiresfan:

But what if my computer has a dual core? Will that throw the calculation off hugely in step 4? Also asking people for their ages can be awkward.

Then...

the answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind

the answer is blowing in the wind.

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:09 AM

Oh, and by the way, the f****** was meant to be FLAMING, not what you were all thinking!  Don't know why WGT asterisked it out!

• Richard1201
    822 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:31 AM

Thanks for the help with the wind. I was using 15mph headwind, add extra club. Still using starters.

Any tips for sand?

• pillsy
    489 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:36 AM

FuzzzyNutzz:

why so compicated, if the wind is in  a straight line in front of behind i half it. if it is on an angle i divide it further. I'm no pro but that all seems so complicated

this is pretty much what i do.  i make slight adjustments depending on if it's a long vs. short iron.  longer irons being impacted by wind more (at least distance wise, not directional) than short irons, and vice-versa.

think of the wind gauge like a clock.  if you have a 20 mph headwind, you have 20 mph to deal with.  if it's a 20 mph wind in your face from left to right (wind gauge pointing to 4:30 on a clock), you've got 10mph of wind in your face and 10mph of wind pushing your ball to the right

• mara43
    1,674 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:39 AM

MioKontic:

Thanks Mio,

Works wonders.....changed my whole way of thinking on WGT can't believe I did see it earlier....but one thing not sure of...

Strawberry or Apple Pi....? or does it make any difference?

• MioKontic
    4,601 Posts
    Tue, Apr 17 2012 10:47 AM

mara43:

MioKontic:

Thanks Mio,

Works wonders.....changed my whole way of thinking on WGT can't believe I did see it earlier....but one thing not sure of...

Strawberry or Apple Pi....? or does it make any difference?

Well of course it makes a difference, and I'm glad you spotted that.  I left it open on purpose to see if anyone was actually awake.  You win the prize.  If only I knew where I left it.

So, now, to the Pi.  Oh darn, I just ate the last piece.  Ah yes, I just remembered, that was the prize.  Oh well, can't win 'em all.  Cherry it was too.  I think there is less wind with Cherry.  But stay away from rhubarb... that's like super-high winds!

RSS