Forums

Help › Forums

Master Tier = £30 on new clubs a must

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 22 2010 3:31 AM (28 replies)
  • Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 2:07 AM

love this game but as i wont buy clubs and the clubs that come free aren't good enough to be competitive on this game when you reach master tier it is time to stop playing this game shame really as is a great game, just poor gameplay when on master unless you spend £30 on clubs

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 10:46 AM

No, as I have written elsewhere, it is a shame that you raced to the Master level before you were ready.

There are plenty of people who have made it to the Master tier in due time.  Then, as they know how to play the game and the courses, could compete with only a Driver and/or Putter upgrade.  The costs of which could be earned from free surveys and other offers, thereby costing you nothing but time.

The choice was yours, sir...

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:14 PM

Deccy, I understand your situation, and would just say that, if you do stick it out, get a new driver and putter, and carry on playing, the fun will return to the game as you learn it better. It has a lot of depth and subtly, and can be a lot of fun. Snaike is right, you can easily get the creds to buy those from completing offers on the 'get credits' tab at the top of the page.

Snaike: The point is a lot of newcomers don't know that. They don't know how easy it is to progress to master by playing easier courses. There is no indication of how quickly it can happen when you join the game. Oak and Bethpage are really discouraging courses for beginners, so they mostly play St Andrews and Kiawah because they can play them. A lot, myself included, when they start playing, look at Oak and Beth and think, yeah, when I've got the hang of the game on St Andrews and Kiawah, I'll go on to try to learn those courses. I graduated to Master myself too early really, without trying to, I was just playing a lot of St Andrews, because I liked the course, and suddenly I was master. I adapted to this because I love the game, but many don't, they just leave.

I am not berating the game itself at all, I think it is great, but, there is no indication when you start playing the game, of how easy it is to become Master when not ready just by playing a lot of St Andrews 9-holes, unless the player spends hours searching through the forum for hints about it, and why should they do that? WGT doesn't advise players to do this when they join...

So the choice is not, as you say, Snaike, that of the player, the player is often just trying to improve their game, and the promotion happens without design or intention, when a player is skilled enough to get a good score at St Andrews, but not capable of good scores at Oak or Beth (of course as you know those courses are good preparation for promotion to the master tier). 

Personally, I think it would be good if there was some indication when someone joins, of how the game difficulty progresses as you go up the tiers, and of the fact that really a player ought to play all courses in order to learn the game and prepare for the promotion.

Maybe it would be an idea to somehow link the promotion to playing all courses, perhaps limiting the number of times you could play St Andrews or Kiawah as an amateur or professional without playing Oak or Beth e.g. 5 rounds at St Andrews or Kiawah one would have to play 3 rounds at Oak and 3 at Beth (all ranked) before being allowed on StAndrews again.

Not sure of the solution, but I know a lot of players just quit the game because they hit master too early, which is a real shame, because they miss out on the pleasure of playing the game in real depth, and WGT misses out on the potential revenue they would have got from those players if they grew to love the game and invest some cash, and then the community suffers as it takes longer for the programme to evolve because revenue is not coming at the rate it could.

Of course, £30 isn't a lot to pay for a game these days, if one already knows they want the game. But the rapid and drastic change in difficulty in situations such as Deccy has experianced can really put people off the game.

Valrec

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:26 PM

Excellent well thought out reply  Valrec.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 16 2010 5:40 PM

Valrec, I can't argue with anything you've written. Pretty damned spot-on.

The only reason I chose the words "..your choice.." is that it is human nature to take the easiest path to any goal. Our new friend above has taken that well-worn fast track to Master and now he hates it.

Personally, and I really can only speak for myself, I was here for better than a year before I made Master. But, as a caveat, when I arrived there was no Master Tier and the only course we could play was the front of Kiawah. When Bethpage opened up it was so brutal (Tourney Tees!) that scores just skyrocketed. Therefore we played all the courses (2) and we played to keep all our scores. It was in my nature to CHOOSE to know all courses before I was promoted to Master. Hence "..your choice..".

Today someone comes in and there's StAndys willing to give them a free ride all the way to the Master-land only to crush them when it does.

I particularly like your idea of requiring all courses played to get a promotion. Perhaps you could send this to the suggestion box.

Peace

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 3:51 AM

the problem is wgt want people to spend money so quick advancement helps as new clubs and balls need to be bought to do well or compete at master level. i think it would be useful when moving tiers that players get a chance to try better clubs without having to buy them. a 48 hour free trial in practise mode might convince some players that spending some money will enhance their playing experience.

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 4:09 AM

Do the free surveys.  They take a while, and you'll only get one maybe once a week, but it'll get you a driver in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:08 AM

Snaike:

Valrec, I can't argue with anything you've written. Pretty damned spot-on.

The only reason I chose the words "..your choice.." is that it is human nature to take the easiest path to any goal. Our new friend above has taken that well-worn fast track to Master and now he hates it.

Personally, and I really can only speak for myself, I was here for better than a year before I made Master. But, as a caveat, when I arrived there was no Master Tier and the only course we could play was the front of Kiawah. When Bethpage opened up it was so brutal (Tourney Tees!) that scores just skyrocketed. Therefore we played all the courses (2) and we played to keep all our scores. It was in my nature to CHOOSE to know all courses before I was promoted to Master. Hence "..your choice..".

Today someone comes in and there's StAndys willing to give them a free ride all the way to the Master-land only to crush them when it does.

Hi Snaike, thanks for your reply, understood : )

Snaike:

I particularly like your idea of requiring all courses played to get a promotion. Perhaps you could send this to the suggestion box.

Peace

Done : )

wizbang360:

Excellent well thought out reply  Valrec.

Thanks Wiz

plim:

the problem is wgt want people to spend money so quick advancement helps as new clubs and balls need to be bought to do well or compete at master level. i think it would be useful when moving tiers that players get a chance to try better clubs without having to buy them. a 48 hour free trial in practice mode might convince some players that spending some money will enhance their playing experience.

Plim, interesting idea, maybe add that to my post in suggestions on the matter, or maybe make a new thread in suggestions : )

Valrec

• Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:15 AM

just would like to make a point here, i did play alot of St Andrews last week but that was becuase it was the unlimited 9 hole tourament course last week and i was just trying to win the tourament is that such a crime??

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Tue, Aug 17 2010 6:22 PM

Exactly, deccy, you just played the game, and got to the master tier too quickly, really, albeit accidentally on your part : ) That's why I've made a suggestion in the forum about changing the way people are promoted to include playing all courses, so players are ready for the next level of difficulty. What happened to you happens to a lot of new players.

RSS