Forums

Help › Forums

Putter precision tests - Now with irons!

Mon, Feb 13 2023 12:09 AM (211 replies)
  • Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 5:33 AM

Wonderful work sir, I salute you.

I would be very interested in a test on the Max Master putter (as that is my putter of choice).

• Fraenkel
    2,252 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 7:47 AM

+1

Great work gentleman.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 8:59 AM

Following your protocol to a T bhoese, here's the Max Control L80+ results. All putts dinged, all aimed at the grid line right of the flag, all hit with 15ft power (Max has a 15ft scale so full 100% power on all, no potential variance)

Similar wind as your Nike test.  The Max has a wider dispersion pattern than the Nike!  Which doesn't make sense given it's a higher level putter with same Pro Shop spec on Precision and 1/2 dot more balance. AND it cost 750cr more than the Nike!

I bought the Max primarily because I like the many putter scales.  I'm a maximum power scale, hit it 10% to get the really slow meter. (for a putt I need to hit with 12ft of power, I'll use the 120 scale and hit 10% to ding it.)  But with the wider dispersion and advertised same precision I feel ripped off by WGT charging me 750cr more!

BTW hboese, I'm also using an old version (V 8.10) of Paint Shop Pro and get the occasional crash on Win7.  Gotta be diligent saving work.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:26 AM

andyson:
    here's the Max Control L80+ results

Good of you to do it also.  Interesting indeed.

Cheers

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:43 AM

Thanks for the help Andyson!  I wonder if using full power might result in a wider dispersion?

My PSP is version 5, circa 1998!

• bhoese
    679 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 10:59 AM

Here are the new results for the L55 Daytona.  

L55 Daytona

I used 50% of the 30 scale.  This is an excellent showing by the Daytona, a significant improvement over the BPB #10 results.  It will be interesting to see if its wider dispersion on BPB is related to its lower balance rating when I test breaking putts.  

Also,  I can't say enough:  20 putt samples aren't conclusive.  

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 11:43 AM

You guys are doing GREAT work. If I learn nothing else but that the wind does effect putts then all your work has been most  helpful  to me and others that follow this thread.

I'm guessing we are not going to see a hell of a lot of difference in the many putters offered by WGT>

• gdubbombsit4bird
    73 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 2:29 PM

yes MM..Im with ya on the 3D world & the left..right. part...like I was saying..only 2 things to factor in when putting...1. reading greens..meaning is the putt gonna go left?..right?..is it uphill?..downhill?...2. distance control & that's it...get those 2 aspects in pretty good order it'll be a ok....all that 2 degree margin of error.( purely guessing) and 10 ft putt could travel 0.35 ft off line and assuming top putters w/ 4 dots of precision....too much analysis makes paralysis...just 2 things...reading greens...distance control...and that's all I got to say about that....have good 1....

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sun, Sep 15 2013 4:30 PM

very nice thread , interesting to see putts go off by inches on those heavy side winds

will come in handy on St.Andrews 

thanks for the tip

• Rooster2821
    107 Posts
    Mon, Sep 16 2013 2:50 AM

Good work with the putter's testing them. I would like to add that the Rossa that i now own, sinks more putts than the level 33 Versa. The Rossa seem's more accurate on dinged and non dinged shots than the Versa.  Strange that other than a half dot of precision the Versa should be better on paper but the Rossa seems better.

RSS