Forums

Help › Forums

New Tiers, Levels and Equipment

Fri, Aug 13 2010 4:13 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 1:59 PM

I wonder about the possibility of opening up all the equipment to all players, regardless of rank, level or avg score.  Much like sporting goods stores and golf pro shops, anyone can walk in and buy any club their pocket book can afford.  I can go to my local golf pro shop and buy the same top of the line driver the pros use, but am I going to hit 300+ drives with it, not in my wildest dreams.  I could buy a set of those top of the line Ping irons, but am I going to shoot par with them, hell no (but I would sure look good trying…lol).

Now, here comes the caveat:  adjust the player’s “ability level” to match his tier ranking.  Let’s say Avatar Lee and all the “elite” players of his caliber have an ability level of 100.  Hacks would probably be at a 87 level (for the sake of this example), Amateurs at 91, Pros at 94 and Masters at 97.  Lee would get 100% of the rating of his equipment.  I am a Master, so I would get 97% of my clubs’ yardage ratings.  Lee uses the TM Super Tri Master rated at 278yds, so, he can get every bit of that yardage because his rating is Elite.  I use the Ping G10 Master driver rated at 270yds.  Since am a Master, I would get 97% of that yardage, or 262yds.  A Pro using the same driver as Lee would expect to get 94%, or 261yds.

Just a thought . . .

• DanManCan
    270 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 2:23 PM

More than just a thought. The best suggestion I've heard yet on equipment!

• ironking34
    749 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 2:32 PM

I second that, best suggestion I've heard.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 2:57 PM

In a word:  Brilliant.

• GStapleton
    3 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:00 PM

I would then assume that a Pro using Pro tier clubs would then get 100% of the rating for those.  Likewise a Amateur using amateur clubs would get 100% of those, but only say 96% out of Pro clubs?  Would an elite get 105% when using Pro clubs?  I can see a lot of potential in this "ability level" I am just curious how this would relate to higher tiers using a lower tiers equipment.  Just wondering since I have seen several Masters using Pro or even Starter clubs.

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:14 PM

Whoa hold on there with this one, this will encourage way more quitting on rounds to get the max out of the equipment rating imo. Might be on right track with the premise. WGT has already pretty much done what their going to do with over 3 mos. of research and development. (a little bird told me) Ok, by that premise, a rated master with a 97% plays against Avlee and the greats with LESS clubs? No thanks, just kickin' thoughts around here. JB

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:16 PM

It would work only if you are talking about reducing only the driver distance per tier.  It would take care of distance differences between tees while allowing all to use any driver.  Don't think it's a good idea if applying to all the clubs in the bag. 

If using either my G10 or TM irons I want them to work at the rated distance intended, plus what we are all used to.   After all, didn't we have to learn how to use them when we got them.

To lose 3% off of the driver wouldn't be that big of a deal.  Over time you would learn to use it to hit different areas of the fairway to still get the distance out of it. 

As a PRO, I had the 255 yard R9, yes with that I could keep up with the 275 yard Master R9.  But to give the 275 to someone from the shorter tees, with its rated distance, NO WAY

• Chazzz7
    53 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:39 PM

A master and a pro should play from the same tees with the use of any equiptment and amateurs and hacks play shorter tees with lesser equipment.

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:44 PM

Warren that in principle is a good suggestion 2 queries though

1 would the elite be playing off championship tees and say a pro from pro tees?

2 wgt may not implement something like this for revenue reasons,once you have the equiptment there is no need to buy it again,unless of course wgt charge for upgrade once you reach the next skill level.

• WoodFairy
    33 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:53 PM

I suggested something similar in the other  thread, though I suggested it  affects both power and accuracy as these develop in the real game. Glad you gave this kind of idea its own thread away from the other mass of comments as I feel it would be a positive step forward

I have re-quoted my  explination here as I  feel that  it  also answers the 2nd point  by geordieles 

WoodFairy:
    If the new levels are linked to the power and accuracy of shots then surely this would be a good thing too. Then even if a hack had the master gear then they could not  make it  work like the top master players do as they  would not  have the range or the accuracy  to  achieve this, and all likely they would play  worse than having  clubs designed for their specific tier/level.

As they say great minds think a like : )

• PAGES
RSS