Forums

Help › Forums

2 Great Courses..

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:37 AM (6 replies)
  • lostendorsements
    2 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:00 PM

I'd like to see here; The Four Seasons(Resort) in Nevis and the one in Banff, Alberta. More beautiful settings do not exist anywhere in the world. There are plenty of pics on the 'net, and you can go to the Four Seasons website. I downloaded their course as wallpaper.

• sftc11
    5 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 12:58 AM

Well then, if there are pictures on the 'net and you can download the course as wallpaper I don't know why they can't whip them up and post them for play in a day or two.  It's gotta be just that easy....  

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:13 AM

IT'S NOT.

Pictures cannot tell a 1000 words when it comes to elevations, lies in the rough, putting breaks etc...

imo, it would take at least a month to map anything remotely good, 2 if you want the details of the course in the correct place, 3 if you want it to play relatively like real life, and even longer if you want the course to be truly realistic.

WGT only has 4 courses but it's not for the lack of trying to add more in the game, it just takes plenty of mapping and other shizam to make the courses play like they do in real life.  I'm sure if WGT's staff didn't value quality over quantity we could have 10 courses by now but they'd all look like they came straight off google earth with no attention paid to the little dips and twists on the fairway and somewhat inaccurate greens.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 4:10 PM

The first thing WGT does is hire a heli with a belly cam. They fly all over the course taking hundreds if not thousands of pictures. Then the go out at night and place little gps devices all over the course and get sattilite info of the terrain.. this data then goes into a terrain editor.They are within 2' Of accuracy on the course elevations, then they use even more on the greens. They are within 2 inches of accuracy there...then they have to match the pictyures to the terrain editor..it takes 4 programers 6 month to pull this off.

They give us quality, not quanity.

I vote for quality.

• UniBooboo
    42 Posts
    Sun, Aug 1 2010 1:36 AM

I figure a lot of people think this so her is a video of one of the Co-Founders, Chad Nelson, giving a rundown of what goes into the making of a course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JmwxDFZknw&feature=channel

Don't get me wrong I am always hoping for new courses but what they have done to date is still pretty impressive.

• sftc11
    5 Posts
    Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:10 PM

overthetop2:

IT'S NOT.

Pictures cannot tell a 1000 words when it comes to elevations, lies in the rough, putting breaks etc...

Obviously you sarcasm meter is broken....

• overthetop2
    192 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 1:37 AM

You had less than 5 posts. Henceforth i have to assume that you don't visit the forums often and hence may not have caught the post where WGTNiv says pretty much what i said.  What if it was the other way around: someone saying what you said seriously and me calling it out for sarcasm?

RSS