Help › Forums

The Future of Ready-Go's

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 10 2010 7:34 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • cyl6
    347 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 7:50 AM

Apologies if this was already discussed (can someone link the thread if so), but I'm curious what WGT and the players feel will be the future of the Ready-Go tournaments.

When first introduced 8-9 months ago, they were a huge hit and filled up rapidly, with a 24-hour time limit.

Then the time limit was reduced to 12 hours, and we got new RG's at St. Andrews, which were very popular.

Now, I am assuming we will get Oakmont RG's in the next 30 days.

But as each month has passed, clearly enthusiasm for the RG's has waned, while at the same time competition has increased. In a way, this was inevitable - basically the same 30-40 players (of which I am one) continually trade off winning the RG's/finishing in the top-5 or so.  Under this system, I simply couldn't imagine how pros or even new masters could compete - to win a 9-hole RG you better be -7 at least, unless you are lucky, and the 18-hole RG's are won with scores in the high 50's. I've seen a 18-hole RG with a 54, 56, 58 and 59.

In other words, the fact that the same master-level players kept winning the RG's has discouraged other competitors to the point where basically all the competitors are these same Master players. Sadly, I play the RG's enough that I generally recognize everyone in the top-10 of each tournament. Other players, who (rightly) say they have no chance to win, have logically concluded that they won't participate in the RG's.

I saw an earlier post essentially saying that RG's are tiered because the pros play off an easier tee - but in reality, we all know it makes very little difference. Masters are hitting wedges into the majority of greens, so the difference between 60 and 100 yds is negligible. In most cases, I think most masters that play these RG's would consider it "getting up and down" from 130 yds and in on any of the courses (even Oakmont when it comes out from the master tees).

From WGT's standpoint, I would be curious to see how this helps them. Yes, they get a cut off of every RG, but now there are considerably less RG's each day. Second, my guess is that getting in "new money" as opposed to credits is preferable - I haven't purchased new credits in well over a year - but I'm guessing that almost all the people playing the RG's already have a significant credit bankroll, and essentially what we are all doing is swapping credits on a daily basis.

Given all that, if RG's continue on the current track, they are becoming a) less interesting for the majority of WGT players; and b) less of a successful source of revenue for WGT (again, I'm guessing).  In only 8 months, it went from super-exciting to basically a small group of people playing.

So what should the future of the Ready-Go's be? I personally enjoy playing a multitude of single-play tournaments during the day, if I have the time. At the same time, if I'm trying to see it from the perspective of a newer player, I would never enter because even if I shot -3, -4, or -5, I might not even get my 100 credits back.

Honestly, I don't have any great solutions. One idea might be to change the conditions per tier - i.e. the Master tier players get heavy winds and tournament speed greens, pros get medium winds and very fast greens, etc.

Another might be the oft-discussed creation of another tier to distinguish "better" masters from others. If we had this tier (let's call it "Tournament" in my hypothetical), then Tournament players could play from the Tournament tees and have tournament green speeds. I understand the idea of tiered RG's has already been put forth, and there are pros and cons (like sandbagging) for having that.

Sorry for the long-winded discussion, but I very much enjoy the game, like the RG's, and want WGT to be successful long-term so those of us with golfing jones can play. However, I don't want to be so bored that I stop playing or get to a point where newer players are discouraged from partaking in fun tournaments.

Okay, love to hear thoughts/suggestions.

• TarheelsRule
    5,492 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:00 AM

I can't play ready go's but I do have opinions on them.  First I don't see how WGT skirts around the gambling angle here because a ready go and match play for credits is gambling pure and simple.  Secondly I would probably play them if I could but the rake by WGT is too much, even Vegas only takes 10% on the loser's bet, not 10% on both sides.

The sandbagging probably doesn't make much difference in you are a master, I don't pay much attention to the scoring average since I play out 95% of my games, I figure that I am as good as much at my level.  If you shoot 62 every time you play but throw in some 77 to keep your status as a pro then we all know what you are.

Just my opinions.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:08 AM

TarheelsRule:

I can't play ready go's but I do have opinions on them.  First I don't see how WGT skirts around the gambling angle here because a ready go and match play for credits is gambling pure and simple.  Secondly I would probably play them if I could but the rake by WGT is too much, even Vegas only takes 10% on the loser's bet, not 10% on both sides.

The sandbagging probably doesn't make much difference in you are a master, I don't pay much attention to the scoring average since I play out 95% of my games, I figure that I am as good as much at my level.  If you shoot 62 every time you play but throw in some 77 to keep your status as a pro then we all know what you are.

Just my opinions.

I don't know Tarheels.... You were only like 6 under through 8 at Kiawah. What kind of master are you? lol (kidding)

• TarheelsRule
    5,492 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:32 AM

Well I tend to post all my scores, I had a 37 at Oakmont yesterday, I could have quit on the last hole to protect my score but that is the point.  Yeah that round at Kiawah was pretty good, I think I missed a 5 footer on 10 too.  I don't try to protect my average, as a master I don't see what difference it makes if you are 59 or 65.  I got down to under 60 playing Kiawah and St Andrews but I enjoy all the courses so I can't stay there and don't care if I do or not.

• KingOfTheCourse
    419 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 9:51 AM

TarheelsRule:

Well I tend to post all my scores, I had a 37 at Oakmont yesterday, I could have quit on the last hole to protect my score but that is the point.  Yeah that round at Kiawah was pretty good, I think I missed a 5 footer on 10 too.  I don't try to protect my average, as a master I don't see what difference it makes if you are 59 or 65.  I got down to under 60 playing Kiawah and St Andrews but I enjoy all the courses so I can't stay there and don't care if I do or not.

What point is the to your average once your master? So from my point of view there's no reason to protect it.  I didn't as a pro so why should I know? It just makes no sense.

• blackbeard
    288 Posts
    Thu, Jul 22 2010 3:32 PM

Excellent post cy16.

I have only ever entered a handfull of RG's and stopped for the exact reasons you highlighted. Seriously, SA 18 holes at -6 makes me breakeven ? Don't think so.

And yes, I am one of the hundreds of Masters who are just that...a Master, not an upper echelon player, so for me it's a lose-lose situation.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:19 PM

Very interesting post cyl6 and you make many valid points with which I agree. I too play the Ready Gos every day, as many as I can chasing the dollars to climb the earnings list. It's not about the credits now for me but that was not the case when I first started playing them in February. I wanted to play in them to win in order that I am not paying for my balls and clubs. Of course back then I was not good enough to regularly win enough to break even, never mind make a profit.

The biggest bonus for me in regularly playing in these competitions was not the odd top ten and 200 credits, it was that playing continually under a bit of pressure, needing to score well, dramatically improved my game over time. It took me 150 tournaments to win my first Ready Go, now I have won nearly 50 in total. I am not typing this to boast, I am merely offering out some hope to those that feel it is beyond their capabilities to do well in them.

I truly believe that if you want to improve as a player these tournaments can be a big help towards that goal. Don't start off expecting to win them or as you have said, you will get disappointed very quickly. View them as a means to improve and gain confidence, there is definitely a steep learning curve to go through before you are challenging the very best players regularly. Don't just play the easy ones either, tackle Bethpage and St Andrews in 30+mph winds. By doing this you will learn all the aspects of the game required to become as good a player as possible. You'll learn all the shots and get to know the greens on all the courses like the back of your hand.

Although I have won a fair amount of money I do not consider myself in the top tier of players. However if the opportunity to play purely against the very best players in this format came along I'd jump at it. I wouldn't expect to win but it sure as hell would push me to improve from where I am just now.

In February my average floated from 65-67, now it is stable around 61/62, so I can honestly say that the Ready Gos have contributed hugely to my game improving and I would encourage anyone who is thinking about having a go, to do just that. Be prepared to lose money initially and see where you are after 3 months of playing them. If your results haven't improved, then you are just throwing away good money after bad. If however they do improve, I will guarantee you will be on your way to significantly improving as a player in time..........

• BirdieButton
    164 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 10:52 PM

good OP.   RG's need restructuring obviously.

and to tiffer,

that would be all well and good and possibly worth the time/effort/money  if we could take money OUT. 

imho

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:17 AM

I agree 100% with you on that BirdieButton, I would be delighted were that to become reality.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Jul 31 2010 2:33 AM

Ready go's could be more interesting in this way. Set them up in different credit implements.

100 credits

250 credits

500 credits

1000 credits.

You cant play in a 250 credit match unless you make a top 5 in 100 credit matches.

To play in a 500 credit match you must make top 5 in a 250 credit match. once you make it into the 500 credit bracket you may no longer compete in 100 credit matches.

and on and on..

by not participating in 500 credit matches you in theory could play in 100 and 250 credit matches indefinitely. But the cream rises to the top and with the competitive juices start to flow, the best players will be in the higher credit brackets. This in theory should make each bracket much more competitive.  any thoughts?

• PAGES
RSS