Help › Forums

putting grid shown in play

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 24 2009 10:15 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jcksnghst
    71 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 12:58 PM

I believe, I know, that the putting grids should be displayed as another player is putting in multi.  In real world golf one who is aware of the need for the art of putting is fine tuning his reading of the shot while others are playing. It is imperative that the grid be visible, at least an option, when players ball is on green. It;s only fair play.   thnx   Great  game!

• jcksnghst
    71 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 5:48 PM

Everyone I talk to liked it.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 5:59 PM

LOL Except me :)

In my opinion, you shouldn't see anything else your opponent is doing during a multiplayer session, including seeing his/her grid while they putt.  All things being equal, it keeps things as fair as they can be the less you can glean from your opponents shot.  You play your ball, I play mine, no one has any advantage...other than the relative skill of the players.  That, to me, is what makes for a fair match.  Adding grids and aiming arcs etc. for the player watching definitely gives them an advantage, so I say nay.

• jcksnghst
    71 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 6:11 PM

Oh my word. My dear friend, you know as well as I that the best in the world not only are reading their putts while waiting for others to putt. AND they take full advantge  of any and all info gleaned from their opponents line. They are not blind folded and turn away from the putting surface. I personally see NO measure of it being considered a cheat to have the grid on. On the Aiming Arc I agree totally tht should be left off.   With all due respect. Yr. Obdnt. Srvnt.

• dacsyr1
    26 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 6:36 PM

I agree, when ever I play real golf I watch the others putt and look at the surface of the green for grade and breaks while my opponents are putting. Since these greens are only two dimentional the grid should be on all the time or at least as an option.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Apr 20 2009 7:16 PM

Come on guys, you can still watch your opponent putt, in both front and reverse views.  The only difference is you don't get exact grid marks to take note of while watching the putt.  If we're talking realism, there aren't any grid marks on a real putting green, but we seem to be able to read what an opponents putt does nevertheless. 

So, what's the difference without the grid marks in the game?  Leave the training wheels behind boys.  You don't need them.

• Weirsy
    84 Posts
    Tue, Apr 21 2009 2:50 PM

Actually, the game is set up to cheat right now. In "real" golf, you are not allowed to stand directly infront or behind the player putting. So I'd say, fine.... put the grids in because you can see the break and slope in "real" golf, but only allow a side view.

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 3:55 PM

I would compare the grids to a caddy or what you would think it should break in real golf. So no you shouldn't be able to see that. Noone is stopping you from watching the putt from front or back, that is more than enough in my mind. I have "read" my partner's putts on more than one occasion doing just that.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 5:28 PM

I have to agree with liking the new no grid.

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Wed, Apr 22 2009 7:33 PM

Watching the Masters on tv and live feed the other week allowed me to see some inside info.

Never knew how much info was being passed on during play.

Listening to the caddy telling how the green played for the past hour ?

I haven't played many multiplayer games, But the pro's seem to benefit from putting second after watching

the other players shot.

Though I don't see a putting grid for Tiger or Phil, The way this game is set up I don't see anything unfair

about seeing the other players grid.

The pro's have thousands of hours playing and can see the actual green slope and break.

Still they have inside info relayed to them

We are stuck in a flat world with only the grid to help.

Keeping it as real as possible.

Mike

• PAGES
RSS