Forums

Help › Forums

left handed

Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:36 PM (25 replies)
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 1:57 PM

I am in agreement with Andyson on this one. The entire program would have to be reprogrammed IMO to "mirror" the existing code. A ding left or right for example would have to be recoded to accomodate the leftie, all taking time, in particular when every aspect of the game needs to be done.  Is it possible, yes but at a a significant cost of the programmers time with no return for WGT on this investment. And any significant change usually means a lot of new problems as a result would surface.

After all, by putting a jets engine in reverse thrust, will this make the jet fly backwards?

• bubbadork
    984 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 2:27 PM

I don't see why the ding would need to reverse effect. A righty's hook is a lefty's slice. However, it's merely a matter of sign.

Regardless, I have only attempted to make a number of rational statements regarding the implementation of the game. Certainly, anyone would introduce bugs, WGT maybe more than most.

If I had been responsible for the game, the meter would work and there would be left-handed players and shot-shaping. It's entirely possible that, at this point, such things would not be fiscally sound. 

There are no personalities involved, for me, because I hold each of the people making counter-arguments in the highest regard. Andyson, for instance, could do the graphics before breakfast with his eyes closed.

• TurkishTerror
    2,177 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 2:48 PM

WGTicon:

hi

I don't have any news to share, so can't really expand my answer than what I stated.

sorry:(

-wgticon

what icon is trying to say is

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 6:15 PM

bubbadork:
    No, mirror images won't work. That's why my lefty isn't a mirror image. I actually turned him around by aiming backward, then replacing the club with a left handed club because the face, rather than the back, was showing.

Your lefty is hitting cross handed! LMAO!  Compare your lefty's hands and location of the glove to a real Lefty, Phil Mickelson.

Your method won't work without a ton of work.  WGT has no left handed swing animation from that single setup position.You're method requires regenerating/recreating the swing animations for all 150+ avatars.  Mirroring will work with additional artist work on logo avatars and possibly some country avatars.  

BTW, there are a significant number of swing animations. It appears each avatar has 36 separate swing animations.  Each of the 6 shot types has a different swing and there are 5 forward angles* and one reverse view of the 6 shot types.  36 swing animations X 150 different avatars = 5400 swing animations to be mirrored or recreated.

I know, i know, simple.  Write some kind of script to access each animation, pass it to the the existing tool, tell the tool to mirror the animation, rename it and save it in a different directory.  That's assuming their development environment supports that.  IDK

*turn on the avatar angle option to see the different angles.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 6:55 PM

I recorded an avatar swing then mirrored the recording to show a lefty avatar.  Something for the left handed players to drool over.....

Naturally the whole screen is mirrored, not merely the avatar.  One think I noted is the avatar shadow in the normal scene falls to the right.  With a left avatar the shadow would need to also fall to the right (behind the lefty avatar).  Just another complication for the WGT programmers to deal with.  If it is a lefty playing, a different shadow needs to be used and it needs to be placed correctly.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Mar 11 2013 7:36 PM

Reckon Icon's a lefty irl...if I remember right he seemed to endorse a lefty avatar a few months back. Never happen though.

RSS