Forums

Help › Forums

Swing meter

Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:09 AM (8 replies)
  • pastlife63
    55 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 4:53 PM

Hiya, slightly long post coming up so get coffee and or a snack.

I have been a member on WGT for 1 year, i am not a real life golfer nor am I a game player at all, not pc or consol, I enjoy playing golf games as I find them relaxing, WGT is the best most realistic I've come across.  I played every day  for hours for about 3 months, with so much practice I got better quite quickly but my  downfall was inconsistency due to the fact I could hardly ever time the swing meter to be bang centre.  When the meter was moving it always juddered along so was really hard to tell when to click and there was a really bad delay between clicking and reaction. I Used Firefox as my browser, I tried changing to a laser mouse I knew my pc was very basic with a rubbish  graphics card so i persevered and tried to learn to gauge the meter better but the juddering was so hit and miss so i stopped playing. 
    I tried again after 3 months and it was even worse, by this time I had changed to using Google Chrome. I gave up playing again for another 6 months. Two days ago I came back to try again, still as bad, i couldn't enjoy the game because it was so frustrating to constantly miss with the swing meter, I tried changing my resolution changed my  pc settings from quality to performance, nothing worked. 
    I was about to see if i could find a pc forum when I thought I'd check WGT forums to see how many others had this same frustrating problem, while looking at the various areas i spied the 'Minimum requirements' post. So I took a peek at that and was curious to see a few different suggestions for each browser to try to make sure the game was playing at it's best.... I saw this bit about  checking the plug in's for Google Chrome to see if there was one with the name pepper in it, so i thought,  well, can't do any harm, I looked in my settings, there was a 'pepper' plug in,  so as per the instructions on WGT I disabled it,  IT'S A GOD DAMN BONA FIDE MIRACLE!!!  my  swing meter now runs ultra smoothly, I would urge anyone else with swing meter problems to check out the suggestions under the Minimum Requirements on the right hand side of the page, with one click I was instantly playing at the level i had been before despite having had a 6 month break,  sorry for length of post, feel frree to edit it Admins.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:07 PM

How refreshing to see a post where someone followed the recommendations and the outcome was good. Hopefully lessons learnt for when people are having meter issues.

• lee22sharon
    1,419 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 11:26 PM

So many casual players who like me are computer stupid, will fail to try something.  After my first 6 months of frustrating play ( Wonky Meter) I tried several sugesstions and low and behold my wonky meter disappeared.  It has remained so through my play to include today.  My message is to all who suffer with meter issues your solution may already be available.  Do some research, instatute the changes and relly enjoy what WGT can offer.  my nickel, with help.

• Brimstone100
    188 Posts
    Thu, Nov 15 2012 7:35 PM

Can someone tell me why when you purchase a club with a slower swing meter, the meter moves faster.  It did that with several clubs I have purchased and especially with my putter.

• Bunnyslope
    28 Posts
    Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:35 PM

It's a combination of all factors. For example, you had the starter putter at one point which has a dead slow meter. Even though you have the Spyder, which has a slow meter, it is still "faster" than the starter. Additionally you have moved up in tier and using better equipment. It is a combination of all of the factors which will influence meter speed. And don't be fooled by balls that have more "feel"/a slower meter. It is all relative...Just as in real golf, muscle memory plays a huge part (e.g. play every day for a month a watch what happens to your score) in the game. If you play with a "Max" ball and then go to anything else, you will think that the meter is insanely fast, and you are playing catch up with the meter. This is why a number of players will play a few rounds with "fast" meter equipment before playing a tournament.

• Bunnyslope
    28 Posts
    Thu, Dec 27 2012 12:43 PM

For anyone playing this game, I would recommend installing the Maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com/) browser.

It is advice that I received in these forums a long time ago and have never regretted it for an instant.

After installing it, don't use it for anything except WGT. This will keep your cache (memory) usage to a minimum, and only WGT files. If you only have one large disk drive, defragment it once-per-week to once-per-month depending on your computer usage. If you tend to leave your computer on, re-start it once per week in order to completely clear the RAM memory.

If you follow these simple tips, you will probably see a marked improvement in the games performance.

Of course, your mileage may vary, depending on your computing power...

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Thu, Dec 27 2012 2:39 PM

Bunnyslope:
    For anyone playing this game, I would recommend installing the Maxthon (http://www.maxthon.com/) browser.

That is one of the if not the best browsers for the game. But Comodo Dragon (Chrome based), Comodo Ice Dragon(fire fox based),SRWare Iron  and Rock Melt (both Chrome based as well) are very good also. But you hit the nail on the head when you stated use the browser you play WGT for nothing except WGT. Doing that helps keep it cleaner than if you use it for all your browsing.

Bunnyslope:
    If you only have one large disk drive, defragment it once-per-week to once-per-month depending on your computer usage.

I have several externals on my system and I usually try to have the browsers that I play with on one of those with little or nothing else on that drive. You would be surprised what kind of difference that makes.

Bunnyslope:
    If you tend to leave your computer on, re-start it once per week in order to completely clear the RAM memory

We restart ours at least once a day. It helps with everything not just clearing Ram memory. 

And running a program like either game booster or my personal favorite GBoost can help with both the meter and load times.

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Thu, Dec 27 2012 3:34 PM
    This post has been deleted.
  • aheredes
    3 Posts
    Thu, Feb 7 2013 7:09 AM

thanks bunnyslope, I've installed maxthon and works fine.

RSS