Forums

Help › Forums

Oakmont thoughts

Mon, May 17 2010 4:09 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • raidermatt1
    96 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 5:14 PM

With Oakmont soon to arrive, I wanted to know what many people are looking forward to this tough course. I know there has been speculation about how short St. Andrews is and I believe Oakmont is even shorter unless played from the back tees. I for one hope the masters get a look at a 7,000 yard plus course.

• Griz0613
    80 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 5:24 PM

Last year's Virtual US Open was played from the championship tees and I'd expect this year's to be as well. Ofcourse we had a 235 driver and tour starters back then, so this should be interesting to see the scores on this course this time around

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 5:37 PM

Enjoy St Andrews while you can from the white tees.   They move back on June 1. :)

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 5:42 PM

Griz0613:

Last year's Virtual US Open was played from the championship tees and I'd expect this year's to be as well. Ofcourse we had a 235 driver and tour starters back then, so this should be interesting to see the scores on this course this time around

Oakmont actually plays 24 yards shorter than St. Andrews back tees, pretty unreal if you ask me. 

As for me, I'll agree with Mike Davis in saying, "There's a reason the U.S. Open is coming back to Oakmont. This really is the gold standard for championship golf. It doesn't get any better than Oakmont."

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 6:18 PM

Oakmont.

This is a pure shot makers course. There is some demand for distance, but that criteria is limited to just a few holes. In other words, it's going to allow more of the field to compete.

They might not move the tees back to the championship tee's as this open is for the ladies.

What ever happens, IM trying real hard to be patient for its release. Its going to play completely different than the courses we have now. Were getting a real nice mix of different playing styles.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 7:16 PM

danohi50:
    They might not move the tees back to the championship tee's as this open is for the ladies.

Brittany Lincicome    273.5

Michelle Wie   270.8

Suzann  Pettersen   267.2           

These ladies are certainly not worried about it.     LPGA     "These girls ROCK"

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 7:27 PM

lvietri:

Enjoy St Andrews while you can from the white tees.   They move back on June 1. :)

Really?   First I heard, where did you see this?

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 7:31 PM

YankeeJim provided a link that had all 18 holes at Oakmont displayed with the yardage break down and everything. He gave a link for St. Andrews too. The name of the thread slips my mind off-hand. I think it was an Oakmont titled thread. It's pretty informative. For those interested, try searching the thread.

Cheers!

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 8:08 PM

TheAceFactor:

danohi50:

Brittany Lincicome    273.5

Michelle Wie   270.8

Suzann  Pettersen   267.2           

These ladies are certainly not worried about it.     LPGA     "These girls ROCK"

Oh yeah,  remember the avg distance from the mens championship tees and the women  is usually  only 20 yards..i wont quote the top 3 pga stars distances but there probably close to 300

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, May 16 2010 8:43 PM

It would be interesting to read the thoughts of the great Johnny Miller regarding this. He has the course record of 63 which is 37 years in standing.

• PAGES
RSS