Help › Forums

Driver off the deck?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 19 2009 3:05 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RReddrop
    10 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2009 1:27 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the option to hit driver off the fairway.  I've tried it a couple times, didn't work out so well...

• vanguard56
    40 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2009 7:43 PM

Agree I just paid 6 bucks for a club that I should be able to use. I agree conditions need to right.

• TrickMilton
    27 Posts
    Wed, Mar 18 2009 8:15 PM

Have you ever gone to the golf course and hit driver off the deck? I have and not only is it not a good idea, as it can damage the most expensive club you own, but it takes an extreme amount of accuracy to get a decent shot out of it. Not even the pro's do it and they get free clubs. Ok I have seen it done by the pros maybe 5 times ever and most of those were bad results. It's just not realistic IMO.
    But if you REALLY want to use this. You'll get a shot that's pretty realistic by hitting a punch driver off the deck. Count on about 80 yards carry and another 100 yards roll. You might as well hit 3 wood.
    WGT, if you change the results of a driver off the deck to reflect less than realistic results, then please give me the ability to hit putter off of the tee full swing as well. I just want to see how it would turn out cause I'm not crazy enough to do this in real life.

• vanguard56
    40 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 9:55 AM

I use a 9 degree driver,hit a high golf ball and have no problem hitting,I'll admit a lower trajectory shot with the driver. Hit my 3 wood off the deck 210-20. The driver carries farther. I'm no pro shoot in the low 80's and use this shot on very long par 5's. Also how is the driver getting damaged? All drivers have similar protection on the bottom  of the club to 3 woods. I have Taylors,Callaway and Titleist and have not hurt either when used. Agree this is a special shot but not one only a trick shot artist hits.

• Thetruth67
    158 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 1:22 PM

I'm sorry Vanguard but I'd have to see it to believe it.  I have never seen anyone hit a consistently good shot with a driver off the fairway.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Mar 19 2009 2:02 PM

It's hard to do because it's not something you practice on a regular basis.  Still, even with practice it's a terribly difficult shot to master.

Implement it, but eliminate the forgiveness zone.  Hit it perfect, then you get a decent result.  Mishit by even the slightest margin and it's sayonara sucker.  That should be enough risk-reward to simulate real life.

• vanguard56
    40 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 9:28 AM

Again I don't know your talent level but I don't profess to be a pro golfer and I do hit the driver off the fairway and actually the first cut with a great fluffy lie. Do I do it every round, NO ,every 4 or 5, Yes if situation is right. Do you hit a flop shot every round? No, can every one do it, no, is it available in the game YES.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 11:43 AM

That probably puts you in the minority then.  I'm an 8 or so handicap (not terribly great, but not bad) and I've never been able to hit a driver even out of fluffy rough consistently.  It's not something I practice either, because it's usually impractical  It's just not something I need to know nor is the risk worth the reward for me.

No one is saying that you or a handful of people can't do it and even do it well.  What I'm saying is that the larger majority of people do not.  Playing for 19 years, I can't even recall someone even seriously attempting it. It's rare at best on tour.

It's just not something I see very often.  Even in Tiger Woods games (I could be wrong, it's a been a while) I don't recall being able to hit driver off the deck very well either.  You know they had to have at least one PGA consultant on the advisory board.  That game stretches realism pretty soundly but still won't let you do that.

I appreciate the want for personal realism, but if I can hit driver off the fairway then I should also be able to turn my 3I around and hit left handed when I'm up against the tree (when that point comes).  Where do you draw the line?  What's next, ball retrievers & texas wedges?  I just think there's a limit to what essentially belongs in the game versus what would just take up extra space that may or may not slow down code execution.

• TaterNater
    545 Posts
    Fri, Mar 20 2009 12:16 PM

one of my friends roostercd, he can hit driver off the deck with no prob at all. seen him do it many times. i couldn't believe it the first time i saw it. now it is his norm on a par 5. so itis possible but not for everyone. i can't do it.

• RReddrop
    10 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2009 9:06 AM

my dad is 60 and does it all the time because he can't hit the ball as far anymore.  doesn't mean i can do it, but he practices it because even on some par 4's he can't reach in two.  its not impossible, it just takes hard work and dedication to do it.

now as for the game, i agree with the "hit it perfect or nothing at all" concept.  great risk/reward for those par 5's.

• PAGES
RSS