People quitting on Matchplay Challenges

rated by 0 users
Fri, May 21 2010 11:06 PM (11 replies)
  • PAGES
  • loadwire
    4 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 6:42 AM

Hi all

I haven't posted on the forum before so first I'd just like to say I'm really enjoying the game and find the gameplay incredibly realistic.  Sorry to make my first post a negative one but here goes...

I've just been a matchplay challenge against someone called *** - sorry if it's not the done thing to name and shame but I'm pretty peed off.  We had played 2 holes - I was 1 up and then he/she drove in the rough on the 3rd.  Next thing *** logs off - so I wait in the 'lobby' and he reconnects, says sorry but he has to go and asks to 'drop' the game.  Maybe I'm naive having only played the game a couple of months but I agreed  to leave the credits and just said to him that maybe don't start a game you can't finish next time. 

Feel stupid for doing that now because I logged back in to look for a matchplay challenge and who do I get but *** again!  Obviously I got booted out by the cheeky get and this happened two or three times.  What an *rsehole. Not bothered about the credits, it wasn't too many, but it just means if someone asks me the next time to drop a game I won't be doing it, no matter what reason they give. 

Again, sorry to make my first post a rant and the majority of people I've played with have been really sound.  I just thought I should warn others if they are playing *** and he/she tries the same trick.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 11:21 AM

Hi load,

No issue with the rant, you're free to do that, however we ask that you do not call players out on the forums by name.  Thanks for understanding. =)

• lilrob88
    870 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 11:48 AM

Need people to quit a few match play challenges with me. I dont complain about easy credits :)

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 12:03 PM

All kinds of tactics out there LOL. Sometimes it is amusing to see the stuff that goes on. Lets just say you learned from that and next time you know. Last week I had one that left on his last putt and made me wait on his credits LOL. Then I had another player time out 4 times on the timer until the game forfieted LOL. So I had to wait 4 x 90 to get his credits :) I can't wait to see whats next, but I'm sure it will be nice to scan the forums while we wait. Good luck in the future! :)

• loadwire
    4 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 2:01 PM

thanks guys...yeah i've had people quit on me near the end and make me wait...i just gave this person the benefit of the doubt cos it was so early in the round...anyway, you live you learn as alanis says...onwards and upwards...

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 2:12 PM

Just a question to you nivlac why should nt these culprits be named and shamed?they are going to do it to someone else,seems to be the way of the world today,dont name the culprits let the innocent fall foul to them.Seems back to front to me.

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 2:22 PM

Name & shame is not the policy we want on the forum as it's likely to cause inflammatory reactions and behavior.  No one can actually prove whether or not a disconnection was intentional or not (as likely as it may seem at times) and without actual proof you are basically defaming another player which is against the rules.  It either must be all or nothing and for the reasons I explained above ALL is not a viable option.  The point will be moot once reputation tracking is available because you'll already know ahead of time whether someone is likely to finish out or not.  Once players can make informed decisions about who they play with you'll see much less of this.

• geordieles
    516 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 2:40 PM

thanks nivlac i see your point thanks for prompt reply.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Apr 25 2010 6:45 PM

WGTniv:
    No one can actually prove whether or not a disconnection was intentional or not

This is exactly the reason for my unwavering defiance against a reputation tracking feature. You will be punishing many who disconnect for valid reasons, and there is no way to fairly police who should and should not be 'deducted'

What about the guy who joins and has a configuration issue, and attempts 10 rounds before finding the forums and getting help? He then fixes is issue, and has to go 30 rounds with no issues, just to get back to 75%. 

Too many variables, and I fear it is gonna cause WGT a lot of extra un-needed work. Time spent answering posts and E-mails about unwanted reputation drops are gonna detract from improving this great game.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Apr 26 2010 7:05 AM

VanHalenLover:
    What about the guy who joins and has a configuration issue, and attempts 10 rounds before finding the forums and getting help? He then fixes is issue, and has to go 30 rounds with no issues, just to get back to 75%

Not a scenario to lose sleep over VHL.  You assume someone who joins....

1st-has a config issue that causes the game to lock up or have severe meter or loading issues. OK, granted that unfortunately happens.

2nd-jumps right into multi-player games.  Not likely.  He's more likely to try CTTH or single stroke play.  Condition #1 will very likely happen in single play first.  Remember being a newbie?  It was weeks before I felt confident enough to try multi-player.  But for the sake of discussion lets say there is a brave and uneducated new player who joins a multi-player group before trying CTTH, before trying single play, before finding the forums, and before reading the FAQs.

3rd-Assuming his config allows it, Newbie Hack finds himself in the game lobby with at least one Master, Pro, or Am who has at least a few games under their belt.  Newbie introduces himself as just joining 10 minutes ago.  What would you do, as a Master, in this situation?  Yeah, probably what I'd do, try and talk him out of playing multi player or cancel the group.  But, say Newbie Hack bluffs his way thru the intros and they tee off.

4th-On the 1st tee, Newbie Hack's game locks up, he clicks on the "X" to close the window.

5th-Being a persistent sort, Newbie Hack clicks "Play Now" again and tries to join another group.

6th-But now, if properly implemented, Reputation Tracking will stop him from beginning any new game until he completes his previous game, which by definition will be impossible.  Rep Tracking will also offer him the choice of suffering the consequence of a lowered reputation by forfeiting the opportunity to complete the round.

Under your scenario, Newbie Hack will need to complete steps 2 thru 6 ten times!  And by his uneducated choice will have dropped his reputation 10 notches.  That's a definition of insanity right there.

VanHalenLover:
    You will be punishing many who disconnect for valid reasons

As you can see from the above dissertation, those who disconnect for valid reasons will have the opportunity to complete that round and not have their reputation marred.  If they so choose not to complete the round, their rep will take a hit.  But it will have been by their own accord.

• PAGES
RSS