Forums

Help › Forums

RL Golf balls

Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:57 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 7:25 AM

I would like to solicit some advice from real golfers good enough to appreciate the differences in the golf balls produced today. Speifically, what makes the Titleist PRO V1 different from a Callaway Warbird? I can read the box but would like to know firsthand what works for a particular golfer and why.

My personal goal this summer is to be good enough with my Big Berthas  and the right ball to improve the GIR and birdie putts, which is where my game stands to improve the most. At $45/dozen the PRO V1 has to mean something vs. the 2 for $20 Warbirds.

What should I be paying attention to?

TY

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 8:08 AM

Really has alot to do with how much you can compress the ball. More compression = higher swing speed.

So for example that Pro V1 is only good if you can get it compressed, otherwise it will feel like a rock, which btw it does to me. I have no where near the swing speed needed for it. A Warbird ball for instance is softer and able to compress down better with a lower swing speed. There's spin too, but that's a little different that someone else could explain better.

I'm sure some of the pros here can explain it deeper. But that's my simple understanding. All those years working in the golf shop paid off with an explanation... haha

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 8:16 AM

Hi Jim,

I was always under the impression a golfer should use a ball that plays to ones strength. I always liked Top-Flite golf balls. I know there a lower end ball, but that was always a ball I performed well with. I've tried most brand name golf balls, and paid through the wazoo for them, but I found myself always going back to the Top-Flite spin ball. For me they had good feel too. I'm using some custom clubs I had made from an outfit out of Arizona. They have mid-size Golfpride grips, and RF Rifle shafts (steel).

The balls they make today are outstanding for improving all areas of ones game. Those Big Bertha clubs you got should rip any ball from the tee-box, or stick a ball close to the pin, any way you look at it.

Go with a good spin ball Jim, you'll be long enough with your BB driver. I'm positive other members will be able to help more with the scientific aspect of the golf ball.

Good luck this spring with your golf game.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 10:43 AM

ncviz:
    All those years working in the golf shop paid off with an explanation... haha

And it was a good one too! It explains what I saw on the course yesterday because I was alternating the Warbird with the V1 (didn't hit the V1 if I thought I was going to lose it.) Basically the Warbird off the tee and the V1 for the approach, alternating or taking 2 hits to see the difference. You're right about the rock feeling-mishits exaggerate it. I have a strong enough swing to take advantage of the ball but I'm not hitting 300 yard bombs anymore and am gravitating to a smarter, more controlled game. It's easier on the back!

Interestingly enough, off the tee the difference was definitely noticeable. The Warbird was straighter but I have a natural fade and I think the spin of the V1 probably was the reason it didn't fly as straight. The last 1/3 of the flight really faded.

@rich-I used to not care what I used but these friggin Big Berthas are insane with the accuracy and forgiveness. At least for me, anyway. Now, in typical amateur golfer fashion, I'm thinking I'm onto something that used to be a dream. LOL-stick around-we'll see.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Apr 23 2010 3:39 PM

I know where I live, a lot of the stores carry reload balls, 2nds and you can narrow idown to Pro V's1 for around $17.99.  

Basically a ball is all about feel and for me how it performs around the green.  

Cheers

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Fri, Jun 18 2010 10:55 PM

I always had a preference for Titlest balls, they seemes to come of the face of the club smother, tho its been a few years.

My dad bought a Big Bertha when they first came out, at the tune of 500 bucks. We went to the range to check it out, the old man was trying so hard. taking huge swings thinking thats what he had to do. I was standing next to him hitting 5 irons as far as he was. he finally put the thing down and I confiscated it. It had a real sloppy shaft and that head seemed like you were swinging a VW. Now I could hit a 9.5 wood driver 230-250 consistently, after about 6 or 7 balls (slices from hell) i adjusted my stance and by the 10th ball the ball was FLYING 260 or so. First time I have seen my dad cry, needless to say I never got to use that club again. I have also launched the head of a driver farther that the ball, that was experience, taking a swing and ending up with just a stick. Yes, the thread unraveled to where the head was.

Playing with my Dad and his cronies was a hoot, I always left with Dads friends money, they never thought or where aware I carried a 12 handicap, and that a kid that played barefoot would have that score. Wish I could meet my dad at the course, play some golf, drink some beer and tell lies. Sometimes he took the golf adage: golf is a white mans excuse to dress like a pimp very seriously, sometimes Id lock my car door and make him go change. Miss the old fart.

sorry about the book

hit en straight and keep em on the short stuff

G

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Jun 19 2010 5:27 AM

Nice piece, gsoup. You see, I am that Dad and golf is the link to the quality time with my son. He's a bomber just learning the game but you now how kids are with the smack talk. LOL-I can't keep up with him off the tee but I can sure get in his head and take him out of his game. It's all good fun and I know after I'm gone he will remember the good times we had, just like you do.

p.s., I just moved to a Callaway Fusion 9.0 driver and the gap closed off the tee!    :-)

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 5:16 PM

Sriox BABY!!!

That ball is gone!!!

I got great results with the Srixon from all the clubs in the bag.

It works great on all of 'em...From the driver to the putter.

Good feel and if really smack one of 'em a time or two, look out confidence level and Heelllooo Birdie...I love 'em...

To each his own

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jun 20 2010 6:06 PM

it's all about how much you can compress the ball at impact. fast swing speeds can compress a ball like the pro v1 and get very good results. Like ncviz said if I try to hiy a pro v1 with my slow swing speed it's like hitting a rock a person with a very fast swing speed trying to hit the softer balls I normally play it would feel like they were hitting a marshmallow. basically you want to play the ball you can compress and still have it react well off the clubhead.

I play a lot of different balls but  I really like the Bridgestone e+5 e+6 and Treosoft. 

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Mon, Jun 21 2010 10:44 AM

Compression and feel.  Whats your swing speed?  Is it enough to compress the ball.  That should narrow down some options right off the bat.  Then go by feel.  what feels better from your short irons in to the green, and even off the putter.  What type of courses and greens do you play?  is more spin going to help you or hurt you.

Personally, I love the distance of the Pro V1, the feel of the ball of the club and the spin.  But I can swing 120 +mph with my driver, and I can check a 4 iron after two hops.  But golf is a mental game as well, I believe the Pro V1 is the best ball, I am more confident with it.

• PAGES
RSS