Forums

Help › Forums

Masters event

rated by 0 users
Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:24 PM (8 replies)
  • longball2006
    60 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 7:03 PM
    Where beginner clubs and balls are required. This would separate the real players from the ones who "buy" their game.
  • longball2006
    60 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 7:22 PM
    Because as I think about it, the best players have obviously spent the most. True, that is the object and hope of the developers, but is the only thing holding back the authenticity of the sim, and makes it almost like all the other golf games on the market.
  • Griz0613
    80 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 8:09 PM

Trust me... thats not the reason they are the best. Last year's Virtual US Open for instance...

Max driving distance was 235 yards, Only upgradable irons were the tour starters, and we played from tournament tees which are further back than the masters tees. I believe the low score in qualifying was 60, maybe 61. They are the best for a reason, not because of the equipment.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 8:26 PM

longball2006:
    Where beginner clubs and balls are required. This would separate the real players from the ones who "buy" their game.

Great idea!

I think we should also ask Tiger Woods and Phil Mickleson to use Walmart drivers, clubs and putters to see if they are really good or if they just seem really good because they have the most expensive equipment.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 8:45 PM

Doesn't make any difference, the top players would still be top players. If we all used the same clubs, you really don't think that would improve your standing do you? LOL

Also, seems you are not using the starter irons, whats up with the TM's you have?

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 9:10 PM

Agreed Blue...

longball... You're assuming players are this or that, but you honestly haven't been here that long. Once you have a handle on exactly what factors into a good shot, think you understand it has very little to do with the clubs. Sure, the starter clubs would yield highers scores, but not much, might surprise you.

Need to remember also a lot of the good players were here almost from the beginning, and had to play with clubs that very closely resemble that current starter set.

Bottom line, clubs are as good as who is hitting them, not the other way around.

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Sun, Apr 18 2010 10:00 PM

longball2006:
    This would separate the real players from the ones who "buy" their game.

Masters would still rule I think. But I agree that the clubs can lower the score on special circumstances. One good example is Bethpage. I play this course as best as I can and can hardly break the par with the Starters. I wrote on another thread that the Starters have almost no backspin and you need this like the air on that course.

Also, you'll find in a lot of posts here where people say that a certain club/set just changed their lives.

Rob

• krokk
    34 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 4:24 AM

Just last night, a friend and I decided to have a MP using only starter equipment.

It was a lot of fun I'll tell ya.

One thing that stuck out for me was just how well we actually did with the starter set. It's amazing how well you can do, even with the starter set, if you know what to do.

My original thought was that everything would spray all over the place, we would miss a ton of greens/puts. I was shocked to see we were nailing things down. It made me feel good to see how much better I am now than I was when I used to have to use the starter equipment.

It sure blew my theory of a person only being as good as their clubs would allow.

• longball2006
    60 Posts
    Mon, Apr 19 2010 12:24 PM
    IMO, the upgraded balls probably help as much if not more...The main reason I upgraded was that if I had any chance at being competitive, I needed more distance. Right now, buying better golf balls would be a waste. I have used golf balls over a year old and had no depreciable performance. I will just learn how to use the free ones.
RSS