Forums

Help › Forums

How come the US Virtual Open 2010 is in Oakmont instead of Pebble Beach?

rated by 0 users
Sun, May 23 2010 2:59 PM (25 replies)
  • nuzawoods
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:47 PM
    does this mean that we r eventually gonna be able to play the back (better) 9 at st andrews and oakmont then hope so thumbs up to that
  • nuzawoods
    3 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:53 PM

i agree with u andy being a brit me myself am now an 11 handycapper playing probably 10 times a year if i,m lucky but again i see pebble on every game i play 1 more wont hurt get as many on here as poss its nice to be able to play golf with ur m8,s till the small hours even if it is only virtual

• pinkgirl34
    59 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 2:59 PM
    I agree with borntobesting that I'd rather play Oakmont than Pebble, with the reason that Pebble seems to be a course available to every single Tiger Woods PGA Tour game series, while Oakmont is restrictively only available for PS3 and Xbox versions of TWPT 2010 edition.
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:09 PM

But Pink, please don't overlook the fact that if WGT did Pebble Beach it would be totally unlike any other Pebble Beach on any other game.  It would be in beautifully-rendered HD photography... almost like actually being there.  As opposed to playing on a make-believe graphics-drawn course.  You'd almost be able to smell the salt mist off the ocean!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:10 PM

Oakmont is now also available at TWO, and they rotate courses which are free every day. St. Andrews was free on the previous days, and Harbor Town is free starting from today, for a 4-day multi-round tournament.

PS: Mochaman, I found TWO's recreation of Pebble Beach superb. Noisy, moving ocean waves... screeching birds flying over your head as you tee off... none of this would be available here, with the lifeless still photographs. (And if they're blurry like those at St. Andrews, the HD advantage gets lost as well.)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 3:52 PM

Faterson:
    PS: Mochaman, I found TWO's recreation of Pebble Beach superb. Noisy, moving ocean waves... screeching birds flying over you head as you tee off... none of this would be available here, with the lifeless still photographs

I am sorry, but I am going to have to disagree.  I found Pebble on TWO flat and lifeless throughout... The EA rendition did nothing to present this course in it's full glory.  Yea, they added a soundtrack, but hell, if that's why you play Pebble, or SpyGlass, or any of the Monterey/Carmel courses, you can buy an oceanscape CD and play that in the background.

I recommend the "Sounds of the Earth" series from Amazon.com.

Having said that, if I had my choice, I would choose Oakmont over Pebble.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 6:29 PM

Snaike:
    I found Pebble on TWO flat and lifeless throughout...

If you found moving, noisy, breaking ocean waves and loudly screeching seagulls flying over the players' heads "lifeless", I wonder how you could find still photographs of those same surroundings "life-full". I just wonder.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 6:41 PM

One could imagine the marshalls holding up their "Quiet" signs, thereby silencing the seagulls and the ocean waves.

• tcmae
    32 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 9:42 PM
    Nice picture you created there of Pebble Beach here at WGT, well done. Well you can kind of tell that it is made by someone since the 106, and the 7 is a diffrent font, and size from what the game uses, and I guess that you just pasted the Pebble Beach logo there also. Also where did you get the hole map from the side? Well I guess you got it from the Pebble Beach website. Also if WGT releases this course on here, how, and can they make the water move, in other words, can you see the waves splashing while your playing the game? Did you use photoshop to make this? Check this out: http://wgt.com/forums/t/7946.aspx Someone also made a picture of how Royal Lytham & St Annes would look like if it were in this game.
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Apr 15 2010 10:36 PM

tcmae:
    can they make the water move, in other words, can you see the waves splashing while your playing the game?

Not unless they modify/expand the present technology that they use to create courses. The water at Bethpage, Kiawah, etc., is perfectly lifeless. While that's pretty strange, you can kind of get used to it, because those are primarily still water surfaces by nature anyway.

But a hole like hole 7 at Pebble Beach, without the splashing waves and breaking surf... it probably wouldn't seem right to see a photograph of "frozen" waves instead. I've noticed that in the Wolf Creek CTTH on this site, the graphic artists have at least incorporated some kind of movement in the photographed water surfaces in order to create a "shimmering" effect, but that's still a long way from resembling realistic flow of water. The lack of sound effects, too, would be highly noticeable at a course like Pebble Beach.

RSS