Forums

Help › Forums

Is Andrews too easy?

Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:02 AM (30 replies)
  • SWoods
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:33 PM

Is it only me or does every Master find St Andrews too easy? 

My best scores are always on this course. I also think this course favors masters with the extended length we get on our drives and metals. 

Thoughts?

• WGTniv
    1,788 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 4:36 PM

Here's a discussion and response from MisterWGT himself on that very topic:

http://wgt.com/forums/p/9354/59879.aspx#59879

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:10 PM

Thanks WGTniv.

I guess people are mixed on this. I for sure find the course the easiest of them all. I ding the meter about 10-15 % of the time and do have considerable misses in almost every round. Notwithstanding I have broken 30 on Andrews twice and have been -6 through 5 holes on couple of occassions. 

Not sure what the community here would like but I for sure would like to see the wind setting default to be heavy.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:29 PM

SWoods:

It's you and the other Masters who tend to play mostly regular ranked rounds instead of the more difficult typical conditions of tournament play.

The SA RG and weekly unlimited are heavy winds which complicated things a touch more.  You haven't done quite as well under these conditions from what I see.  

You say you want the wind more difficult, yet specifically choose not to play in the heavier wind formats for the most part.  Perhaps you might try turning on the windmill before saying you find the miniature golf course so simple to score. ;)  

• ghettocop1
    259 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:42 PM

I'm one of those "regular ranked rounds" guys, and I have a different take on St. Andrews.  If not played regularly, I do not find it too easy at all.  It's more challenging than KI IMO if you stay away from it for a while.  If you play it constantly then I think yes, it becomes easier than if you were playing KI constantly.  I think you have to have a pretty solid "plan" to play St.Andrews well.  Whereas KI can be scored well on just playing fast and loose.  Only my opinion of course.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 5:45 PM

OaktheToke:

SWoods:

It's you and the other Masters who tend to play mostly regular ranked rounds instead of the more difficult typical conditions of tournament play.

The SA RG and weekly unlimited are heavy winds which complicated things a touch more.  You haven't done quite as well under these conditions from what I see.  

You say you want the wind more difficult, yet specifically choose not to play in the heavier wind formats for the most part.  Perhaps you might try turning on the windmill before saying you find the miniature golf course so simple to score. ;)  

The tournaments cost money to play in and there is added pressure of the tournament. 

If you care to dig further, I still have done better at St. Andrews tournaments than at tournaments in other courses.

Here is my modified request so you do not interpret this any other way -- more challenging wind conditions but not at a $1 a round cost and in a format where I can play with my friends. 

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:00 PM

SWoods:
    Here is my modified request so you do not interpret this any other way -- more challenging wind conditions but not at a $1 a round cost and in a format where I can play with my friends. 
    Well, the unlimited is free so not sure what the problem is there.  And if you want a harsh wind setting option for multiplayer than I surely understand, but to post a thread saying that the course is just too easy when you obvious choose to play under the easier windset, is just a little much is all.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:17 PM

OaktheToke:

Well, the unlimited is free so not sure what the problem is there.   And if you want a harsh wind setting option for multiplayer than I surely understand, but to post a thread saying that the course is just too easy when you obvious choose to play under the easier windset, is just a little much is all.

Hey Oak

The problem with written communication is that it can be interpreted in many ways since you do not see the other expressions and non verbal communications. 

My first post was a sincere question --- Is it just me or is it all masters? I think I got a sincere answer from Ghettocop1 for that question. 

Your reply and re-reply assumes some things about me and the way I play that are not true. I do not choose to play simpler conditions. I have been playing default conditions and I find them simple in comparison to the default for the other courses. 

About tournaments free or not free - I tried a few ready gos and free tourns, did not think I was ready for them yet so have not played any for a while. I did not stop playing them because the conditions there were tougher. 

It is def not my personality to play easy conditions, shoot low and then start a thread about it. 

I request you to try to understand that the other person may be coming from a different perspective.

I hope I have not offended you.

SW

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:44 PM

The misunderstanding simply comes from the title you chose for the thread. 

I believe in a practice round you can also choose your pain or pleasure with Wind as well and like Oak says, right now the unlimited 9 weekly is high wind so have at er.

I have the opposite opinion of gettocop, I do think Andy's is the easiest, and by a long shot.

I have played about equal amounts of both and I can not putt worth a sh*t at Kiawah no matter how often I play it, where as Andy's putting is much easier, especially from longer distances.

• SWoods
    62 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 6:54 PM

Thanks Jayjon. I do see how my title could have caused the confusion. And for those of you who may read this post hereinafter the original title was "Andrews too easy". 

Yeah. I find it easy because more often than not, I am playing my approach shots with wedges which have a higher likelyhood of getting the ball closer. 

RSS