Forums

Help › Forums

Wind/Spin Distance Control

rated by 0 users
Sun, Apr 11 2010 8:19 AM (3 replies)
  • TextMyPC
    232 Posts
    Mon, Mar 29 2010 10:44 PM
    Hiya Masters, I was just wondering if any Masters had a formula they'd like to offer to determine distance on Wind/Spin. Currently I'm using a 2 spin ball and if I use full back spin I figure 2 yards short and top spin is 5 yards long. This sort of works without factoring the wind. Right now I translate yards from wind speed by 1/4. So if it's a 20 mph straight tailwind, I guess it carries 4 yards. This seemed like a good formula at first, but it's proving to be very inaccurate at the prensent. How do others do this?
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:01 AM
    For wedges and lesser distance irons (9I through 6I) I factor the effective wind at 30% to 36% (lesser for the more lofted clubs), for the longer distance irons (5I-3I) I factor the effective wind at 38% to 42%%. Please note that these wind factors are for the G-10 Master level clubs using G12-S balls; and are only accurate in winds less than or equal to 20mph. By "effective wind" I mean, for example, that I would treat a a 10 mph wind at 10:30 o'clock as an "effective" 5 MPH wind, while at 11:30 o'clock the same wind as an "effective" 9 mph wind. If I were you I would head out to a relatively flat fairway, in practice mode and hit your irons, with calm winds, back and forth , up and down the fairway and record your relults....then I woould return with the wind turned on and repeat the process to determine what is correct for your particular clubs and balls. HB3
    1,644 Posts
    Tue, Mar 30 2010 11:37 AM

I have a magical black box that sits in between my shoulders and calculates all of that crap for me....  

No really, try not to 'over calculate' some things, golf is as much about feel as it is the physics.  The only way to really know how wind and spin are going to affect your shot is to try it.... if it doesn't work, try it again, if it does work, remember what worked, but don't get all bogged down with notes and numbers you'll just end up confusing yourself.

That's what works for me anyways...

And as always.... Just Have Fun!

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 8:19 AM

hbthree:
    (lesser for the more lofted clubs)

I have noticed that my wedges particularly get virtually no addition from a strong tail wind yet will lose distance with a head wind.  I would have thought to get true dynamics a strong wind would help a wedge a bit.  My 64 with a 20 wind dead at my back may gain a yard or two if it's lucky.  Is this about normal in the game do you think ???  I would like to know as I am fairly new to this club and am now playing in windy conditions more

Mick

RSS