Help › Forums

Re: Master 64 degree wedge?

Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:39 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Mar 21 2010 12:37 PM

BolloxInBruges:
    If the 105 wedge performed a little better I'd probably take that over a 3w on moderate,  but that thing hits the ball so damn high in the air that the wind blows it all over the place.

Are you talking about the 52 degree TM wedge? 

• ShooterMcFatboy
    2 Posts
    Thu, Apr 1 2010 7:17 PM
    I use a master 64 it takes a while to get used to cause any shots less than 100% the distance falls off but its great
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Apr 2 2010 9:26 AM

There is no Master-tier 64-degree wedge in this game as of right now. The Master wedges in this game have the same parameters as Pro wedges, with the exception of the average hitting distance, which is higher for Master wedges.

• VanHalenLover
    1,422 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 11:39 AM

OaktheToke:
    Even if I had made the green on the fly and ran the full distance it would have funneled to the right.

I was just cruising this thread looking for info on a wedge upgrade, and appreciate the info. I was caught off guard too by the exact same characteristics between the pro and master satin 'z''s. Glad I caught it b4 purchasing, and good info to have shared here.

One thing that struck me was your comment above. I know I'm not at the level of you guys, but for the standard pin placement here, if you approach just inside the left edge of the green and left of the flag, the grassy knoll just before the pin helps to funnel it right down towards the pin. If you have the right wind, if you hit the right line, and if you have the right speed, you can actually leave yourself within a few feet for an eagle.

I'm sure you've all seen it, just surprised that it wasn't brought up in this conversation. And I know, that's a lot of IF's, but that approach for me is well worth the risk when a potential eagle is so realistic.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Sun, Apr 11 2010 9:39 PM

VHL, The shown approach shot is in reference to the conversation, but I agree with you that the shot is makeable in general.  My comments were from the viewpoint that if you decided to bag 4 wedges and no fairway wood, could you always make it over that ridge you mentioned, with a 3 iron as your longest club selection, under any windset of the moderate conditions?  I agree that I would never pass up a potential look at eagle and better looks at birdie, so I would have to be able to make the illustrated shot with my 3 iron in order to consider the strategy of not bagging fairway wood.

The shot that I played was a couple yards right and short of where I would have liked to have landed it.  Even with a touch more topspin, I'm not sure I could have got there with enough momentum to go over that ridge and get close to the hole.  At least not consistently.  Unfortunately I actually erased it yesterday because I had a 131 holed approach that I wanted to save instead and didn't think anybody else would want to see the shot.  At least the screenshots provide some detail of how it looked.

As far as my shot preference, I like to use max backspin.  I don't play as much shot variety as someone like Bollox.  Ideally I like to land it on the upslope of the ridge preferably as close to the rough as possible if not in it.  My best approach there actually landed in the first cut before tricking down and to the right a few inches from the cup.  Its a tough shot to execute regardless and most times I 'm happy with it going mostly online and running a touch long, leaving a 8-15 yard come-back eagle putt.

I hope this further explains what I was thinking.  Sometimes I'm not the sharpest pencil in the pack and may not communicate my thoughts with great accuracy.   So to your point, yes I would play the shot left edge either landing on the upslope of the ridge or short and running it over.

• PAGES
RSS