Help › Forums

Re: Balls for master clubs

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:52 AM (7 replies)
  • neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 10:03 AM

Any insight is appreciated.

Just bought the G-10's, and I currently play with the GI2-D, but just wondering what the rest of you play using master irons and why.  I need the slower meter for now until I get used to them.  Obviously some have more spin the others or more distance, but do you see an advantage of say a GI2-S on the courses available vs the other balls?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:22 AM

I play with GI-SD.  Several important factors for using this ball:

• Improved trajectory
    • Longer carry
    • Changes the dynamics of your shorter irons and wedges significantly

CTTH challenges in my opinion a must when you change your clubs, and or ball to get a handle on how the ball and club interact with each other.  Each challenge has unique holes, find them and develop shots on getting close.  It will prove to be an invaluable aid on the course..

One of the most important aspects in this game is how much spin to apply to your shot.  Don't forget, it is the club that generates the spin and the ball dynamics interacting with the club is the result.  I notice the type of clubs you have, you may want to consider the GI2-D ball.  Try it for a while, get a feel for what this ball does.  It is, in my opinion, a good starting point.

Don't rush, and develop a game plan that will improve your game ultimately.  Don't change everything a once.  For me I change my clubs and kept the ball type constant till such time I was ready to experiment with new balls.  Changing everything at once may create unneeded frustration.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 11:49 AM

thanks for the input, I actually rarely do a closest to the hole challenge.  I play the gi2-d ball, just hate the spin on it.  GI2-sd I am all over if it comes out.

• cyl6
    347 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 2:44 PM

I play the Tour GI-S Ball. I'm a bit cheap, so I like that these cost less than the Tour-SD (which I admit is a superior ball). But I'm used to the distance and spin that this ball produces. It's an overall solid choice.

If you don't want to pay for those, I would recommend the GI2-S for BPB and GI2-D for Kia, if you are able to get used to the distances. You need the extra spin on BPB, and with the G-10's and either a hybrid or high-launch 3WD, you should be able to reach everything. It makes clearing the fairway bunkers a bit of an obstacle in high-headwinds, but you should be able to do it.

• fluffton
    87 Posts
    Wed, Feb 17 2010 3:01 PM
    Your cheap? i use the tour s balls 2 spots for spin not much else but white ones 43 credits i use purple 52 credits,i used to use the gi`ds but no spin but slower meter which i don`t need raptures slow meter anyway,so i reccommend tour s balls for cheap scates but took me about 2 weeks to get used to them everything finishing short cause spin.
  • pillsy
    489 Posts
    Thu, Feb 18 2010 8:04 AM

neildiamond11790:

Any insight is appreciated.

Just bought the G-10's, and I currently play with the GI2-D, but just wondering what the rest of you play using master irons and why.  I need the slower meter for now until I get used to them.  Obviously some have more spin the others or more distance, but do you see an advantage of say a GI2-S on the courses available vs the other balls?

i just started playing the GI2-S and really really (really) like them.  i got free GI-D balls from WGT because i had a bunch of friend-invites that joined (that was one promotion, invite a friend and get free balls).  they slowed down the meter a little and provided a little extra distance.  certainly an upgrade over the freebies.

however, what i like about the GI2-S is that it slows down the meter even more and with backspin, you can control the ball landing on the green better.  almost as important for me though is that the distance that the club indicates is the distance it goes with these balls, whereas the GI-D you have to factor in the extra distance with each club.  i'd rather be a little short off the tee and be more sure about the distance of my approach shot than be closer on my approach but not sure how hard to hit my 2nd shot.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Thu, Feb 18 2010 1:48 PM

thanks for the insight all, palying the gi2-d and just tried a gi2-s and I have to say I hate difference in yardages from shot to shot.  gonna stick with the gi2-d until the gi2-sd comes out.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 11:52 AM

Tour GI SD balls are superior for me. They smooth the meter slightly and are a great match for the master tier.

RSS