Forums

Help › Forums

Re: iron comparison

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 12 2010 1:46 PM (2 replies)
  • jcs89
    172 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:12 PM

I am currently using the TaylorMade Tour Burner Pro irons which provide a 3.5 spin rating.  I am considering purchasing the PING Rapture V2 Pro irons(because of meter speed) which provide a 2 spin rating. My question is, will the difference in spin rating make a significant difference on the course.  I will also be using a ball that provides spin.

• OaktheToke
    409 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 12:23 PM

No, not significant, but a little more roll out, mostly after longer irons.  

And you already know the difference in meter speed because you have the Rapture driver.  If you like the meter speed of the driver that much more than your current irons, then go for it.  You still will be hitting faster wedges though.

There's also supposed to be a "rental club" option coming in the next month or 2.  I don't know if this would allow you to try out the Rapture Pro irons or if you would even want to wait, but it might allow you to try them out before a purchase.

You can also slow down the meter speed of everything your hitting with the GI2-S ball.  This will give you the same spin as the Tour-S ball your currently using but a significantly slower meter.  The GI-S will slow it down a little.  You may even find your Rapture driver too slow with these balls.

Maybe you want to try out the different balls before spending the ducketts on the clubs.

Good luck.

• uoducks63
    53 Posts
    Fri, Feb 12 2010 1:46 PM

The other thing you might want to  factor in is since you are very close to becoming a master,  You might want to stick to the irons you already have, they will better prepare yourself for the meter speed of the master irons.  I played the raptures and went to the G10's when i made master, for me the difference in meter speed took alot of getting used to......

RSS