Forums

Help › Forums

Re: TM & Ping wedge meter speeds not =, which to buy?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:27 AM (5 replies)
  • jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:08 AM

I am about to buy a wedge, only one for now (yes cheap bast#rd).

I have seen many discussions and am looking at the great spread sheet also. It seems many people have referred to the Ping and Taylor as having different meter speeds (Ping being slower), is this even though they are both rated 5?

For example both Master tier clubs are rated 5, is the Ping meter actually a little slower? This is the impression I got after poking around here on the forums.

One other question, if you were to buy only ONE wedge Pro tier, which would you buy?

I am thinking of TaylorMade Z-Satin TP Pro 52°, you sacrifice "nothing" in stats compared to the Master (no need to upgrade later) and you get 105 yards out of it, the same as the Master Ping wedge and only 5 yards short on the 54 degree Taylor Master club.

I am pretty convinced this is what I will buy, I am thinking of buying this first over the 64 degree Satin which I see people love, only because with only one wedge I will use this more often due to the extra distance. I'll bet people will recommend the 64 first but when I'm over 50 yards I wont be able to use it, with the 52 I can still use it at 50 yards.

One other thing I noticed is some have said that the Pings have a little more loft and make landing a Flop or Punch a little easier, if you were going to put only one PING wegde in your bag (for this purpose) and the other 2 TM's, which would you put, 54, 60 or 64 and why?  (which you you use most for punch and Flop...)

In general it seems a hard choice between Ping and TM wedges on the whole so any help is appreciated.  Ping more precision, TM more forgiveness and spin, a personal choice it would seem to come down to in the end. 

TIA

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 8:37 PM

The Ping MASTER wedges have more loft than, well anything. Being able to stop a punch shot with these on a dime is effectively giving you 4 different, full power, full shot lengths, which is very useful. The TM MASTER wedges actually have more of a medium loft, I have not managed to get much use out of them what-so-ever - they are so drastically different from anything else that I just didnt give them much of a chance, ymmv.

However, The trajectory of the PING and TM PRO wedges are pretty much the same relative to one another. Meaning, the 2 brands more or less play the same. 

I would go for something inbetween the 64 TM and the 52 PING actually if I was going to go with a single "Pro" wedge. This wedge will need to be quite a workhorse, so I would rather have pitch, chip, and flop yardages that are in a more useful range.

For me personally, this means a chip range between 10-13 yards, a pitch range between 22-25 yards, and a flop somewhere around 24-28 yards - This will get you up and down around the greens 90% of the time. I use my Master 60* Ping more than anything else to get out of trouble. The 105 yard 54* is amazing on maybe 3 out of 18 approach shots  - but I'm hardly ever using it around the green. 

I recommend the Ping Pro 58*. The punch, flop, pitch, and chip yardages are exactly the same as the Master 60*. (i think the punch might be a yard different, but I don't have the Pro anymore to verify) Just use the starter LW with it for now. 

I am carrying the Ping Masters on both stoke play courses, but my 3rd wedge I change.I like the 64* TM at BPB, and I use the snake eyes 60* on the island. (Don't discount the snake eyes! they can be excellent!)  ~ This is likely to change.... seems to every week for me. You never know I might go with 1 wedge and 2 hybrids next week.. LMAO. 

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Tue, Jan 5 2010 9:23 PM

Thanks Birdwell. I realized after that even though I am a cheap bugger, I might as well buy two wedges since they are so cheap! 2 bucks each isnt so bad.

Good advice on the Ping, this has me thinking for sure. The charts say the Master wedges have the SAME loft (med-high) but i think I have seen other people say the same thing as you have. It seems both names have some good selling points, I think for now I might go TM then once I hit Master I'll grab the Ping as I do like the accurate distance effect.

I'm actually not going to buy a driver until I hit Master either, or irons (as much as I really want and need both). Here is my plan for being cheap and effective:

TM Master driver kicks butt, not going to waste money now on anything else (drivers are costly and once you get the 275 yarder its doubtful you'll use old ones)

Ping Master Irons same deal (most loft of all irons), combined this is 20 bucks, I only want to spend this once and I'll wait and get the best stuff once I can.

For now I am going to buy:

Redwood putter

TM 64 wedge

Ping or TM 52/54 wedge

Ping or TM 3 wood (extra 20 yards on starter and only 240 credits, stats same as Master but 10 yards shorter)

This should get my score way down, with the new 3 wood I'll still make it in 2 on many par 5's and this will cost 12 bucks. My final purchase once Master will be the Master Ping 60 wedge for 250 credits, TM Master 8.5 driver for 800 and Ping Master irons for 1200 for a total of 22.50, then I'll be good to go.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 7:40 AM
    The best laid plans of mice and men (and golfers). Jayjon, you know you'll never get away with your plan! You're dealing with capitalism here, young grasshopper. You're assuming a static situation. Once you purchase your clubs there will be more, bigger, better clubs in the pro shop that will entice you to part with some more money. Like that Nike driver that'll never leave the fairway or that Cleveland wedge that lands on the green like a dropped cat. Enough discussion, I need to go out and buy a new car.
  • Spacklero
    386 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:03 AM

Sounds like a plan jayjon but be prepared to not make as many of those par 5's in two as you would like - getting the sticks is only half of the game if that!

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:27 AM

Doublemochaman:
    The best laid plans of mice and men (and golfers). Jayjon, you know you'll never get away with your plan! You're dealing with capitalism here, young grasshopper. You're assuming a static situation. Once you purchase your clubs there will be more, bigger, better clubs in the pro shop that will entice you to part with some more money. Like that Nike driver that'll never leave the fairway or that Cleveland wedge that lands on the green like a dropped cat. Enough discussion, I need to go out and buy a new car.

LMAO!!!  Yes your most probably right, nice one.   :) 

RSS