Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Balls, We lack critical discussion..

Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:02 PM (1 replies)
  • robz0r
    6 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:44 AM

So, more recently I upgraded my clubs and much to my demise on a few holes from the pro tee, I am still about 10~20 yards out from being on the green, or on a few holes I am having problems getting the ball to sit even though I am hitting full spin with the best clubs.

So i have a few Ball questions as I am still uber skeptical on using balls yet(I am still pretty hit or miss on the bar some times) and I am a math nerd.

Ball Durability

I played a game today with a chap who had a B-XD (10cred per 3, 1xDistance, 2.5xDurability). He was an amateur so he was shooting +5 strokes over the 9 i played with him. He said he played 3x 18's and 1x9 + to the 7th on the one i was playing with b4 he broke it.

So by that math. 82+82+82+41+35 = 322 strokes - 80 definite putts - 80 more putts for amateur status + 20 chips? so 142 strokes where moderate contact is made with the ball, that would be considerate to the wear and tear of the ball.

142 Contacts / 2.5x rating = ~56 moderate contacts ~ per durability point.

In practical terms:

About 2 Full Rounds on either course for someone who is of "even par or better" for any 1 durability ball?

Ball Distance

This gentlemen also gave me a rough number that he had gained ~ 10 yards on his drive by using the XD ball. Again this is a 1xDistance ball. He was using the Starter Driver (220~).

We can then assume if he is correct that the XD ball gives 5% distance modifier.

Or 5% per 1x Distance mod.

Someone who uses the WGT Tour-SD or GI-SD that is rated @ 2x Distance care to confirm that it adds roughly 10% to your shot?

Or roughly 28 yards with a Master Driver // 25 with a Pro Driver.

Ball Spin

Here is a tricky one. I personally with with wedges Taylor Z Satin 56/60/64, Taylor Burner Irons. Have not been able to land a ball and cause it to spin backwards in any form.

Is this possible?

If possible. Are you using a B-ES, GI-S, both being 1x Spin balls.

Or are you using any of the next tier of Spin balls all rated @ 2x Spin as per the Pro Shop V2 chart.

• duffer66
    700 Posts
    Mon, Jan 4 2010 8:02 PM

Here is some ball info I can attest to after playing with my brother last nite. We were both using the same drivers, he had WGT balls and I was using the Tour SD balls. My drives averaged 5 to 10 yds longer than his using standard balls. Now for spin, I replayed a shot that was close to the hole and my ball was about 2 ft past the pin and spun back about 6" after the second bounce. That is the only back spin I have seen, applying back spin on the longer irons does not affect the roll of the ball at all. Hope this helps.

RSS