Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Abusive posters, spammers and off topic posts

Mon, Dec 28 2009 5:19 PM (9 replies)
  • dumbsarah
    35 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 1:01 PM

I have been a member for only a week, and I have read many posts.

I moderated a political forum, not an easy job, for over 2 years

If someone posted 3 times a day, we thought that was in the bounds

If someone posted 5 times a day, we sent an e mail notifying that 5 posts per day is tolerable, but would like the poster to ease up

If someone posted over 7 times a day, we sent an e mail notifying them that they were suspended for one week

If someone posted over 10 times a day, they were removed.

When posters flood a forum, you can be assured that they are violating the spamming and off topic rules.

I believe it is time for WGT to set the standard, moderate this forum, and if they cannot moderate this forum, set up a computer program that does the job.

It is time for WGT to act

• jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 1:32 PM

dumbsarah:
    I have been a member for only a week, and I have read many posts

MY first thought was ... only a week  .. this time? ( I really don't care either way, I'm mainly here to play the game)

That said, though .... I could definitely get behind the rest of your post, Sarah. A daily limit to the number of posts? ... What a FANTASTIC idea! .

Post your idea/opinion/ rant  whatever... and let it be.

Sounds so much better than stating the exact same crap 50 times and picking apart every differing opinion one quote at a time ( especially since the quotes are very often out of context).

Jeff

• dumbsarah
    35 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 1:38 PM

jeffdos924:
     That said, though .... I could definitely get behind the rest of your post, Sarah. A daily limit to the number of posts? ... What a FANTASTIC idea!

thank you jeff, tell wgt your thoughts

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 1:57 PM

I've never been part of a message board/forum/BBS that limited a member to a certain amount of posts per day.

And I've been involved in some sort of message board/forum/BBS for a very long time.

• dumbsarah
    35 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:03 PM

marioh:
    I've never been part of a message board/forum/BBS that limited a member to a certain amount of posts per day.

Yes, and this thread was not aimed at you. Your posts per days as a member is less than 1 a day. You are the solution, not the problem

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:10 PM

I can appreciate the general guideline, but I don't know if you can limit it to a specific number.  There have been days I've posted 17-20 times, perhaps even more, but 95% of those posts were to answer questions from other users.  I doubt you'll find anyone here who would say that I'm part of the problem.

Common sense will show most people who posts to be helpful and who posts with "other" motivations.  A good forum user knows when his opinion has been heard and when it's time to lay off.

The best advice I have ever received regarding posting on any forum is this:

Post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something.

• dumbsarah
    35 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:30 PM

nivlac:
    Post because you have something to say, not because you have to say something.

Again, you are not the problem, you are the solution. You have posted on average 5 times a day since entering this forum. If you go back to my original post, 5 times a day is a tolerable situation. You do stay on topic, and you do not spam. I can understand you posting 20 times in one day replying to many posts that asked for your input, but you do not spend your day in front of your computer answering every post that is posted, and repeating over and over the same post.  I believe if someone said that 6 times a day is maximum, you would have no problem living with that, knowing that you could post on someones wall an answer that you thought was a necessity, or waiting for 24 hours to post again.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 2:35 PM

Ah, I missed the average part the first time through.  Thanks for clarifying.   That makes a lot more sense. =)

• dumbsarah
    35 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 3:31 PM

nivlac:
    Ah, I missed the average part the first time through.  Thanks for clarifying.   That makes a lot more sense. =)

Have you noticed the spammers, heavy posters and off topic posters have stayed away from this thread. LOL

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Dec 28 2009 5:19 PM

Richard4168:
    You should apply for a moderator position at WGT.

Giving the moderator's job to duplicate/triplicate/quadruple-account holders would really be a scream. These forums do need standard moderators, but of course WGT (if they ever do) are not going to recruit those from the ranks of serial forum offenders who've been banned from these forums several times before under their various aliases.

RSS