Re: Pro Shop/Drivers

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 23 2024 3:52 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BlackBogey
    284 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2024 9:36 AM

alosso:

L59 (88.500 XPs) was(!) a milestone for irons (first "high trajectory" irons, PING (no longer, see L45 MAX @40.215 XPs)), but there are sensible MAX options on the way which may carry you to L85 (255.000 XPs) where the better PINGs wait for you.

That Steam putter is a massive bargain (dunno which one it is), but, otherwise, wait until YOU are better than the STARTER putter - it may take a while. My putter is L55 - quite fitting to my development.

Most of all: Have fun!

You don't like the L59 Pings anymore @alosso?  I always thought I'd seen you recommend those as the best option for near that level, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else, or maybe they've downgraded the specs.

The Steam putter is the L0+ Titleist, and like @Samspayed mentioned just the credits you get in the bundle more than pay for it.

And yes @BobBarker1, as @alosso points out, just have fun and don't sweat the levels or tiers.  As long as you play a couple of rounds a day (and most of all keep your CDP Streak going) the levels will fly by until you reach the mid to upper 80s where they become more of a grind.  That's where proper planning of equipment purchases really comes in handy.

• GreenLaser
    178 Posts
    Fri, Apr 19 2024 3:12 PM

I think the L59 Ping irons are still a good choice. The L45 MAX Precision irons are high trajectory, but that 1.5 Meter would have given me fits.  If I were starting over knowing what I know now, I might opt for the L15 Ben Hogans and play those to L85. It doesn't take long to get to L59 though.

• alosso
    21,040 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2024 10:40 AM

BlackBogey:
    You don't like the L59 Pings anymore @alosso? 
    I never owned them, skipping right to the L83s. I meant to honour the new (to me) MAX with the precious high trajectory, no downgrade of any form.  There certainly are better clubs than both of them, but L59 still is a benchmark, given the weakness of the MAX.

• SamSpayed
    4,907 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2024 10:44 AM

GreenLaser:
    If I were starting over knowing what I know now, I might opt for the L15 Ben Hogans and play those to L85. It doesn't take long to get to L59 though.

Agreed.  IMHO, this would be a good progression.  

• BlackBogey
    284 Posts
    Tue, Apr 23 2024 3:52 PM

We've been having this discussion a little lately in our CC with a few members ready to reach Legend and about that level.  L85 irons seem like a no brainer at that stage.  Logical place-holder until the L97, and plenty of time going from L85 to L97 to save up credits.

I still would recommend the Steam bundle irons to anyone who hasn't already bought something, as they could easily last until L85.  $20 spent in return for 2k credits and all the other goodies, plus irons that can easily last until you reach the really good stuff.

• PAGES
RSS