Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New Player Questions

Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:06 PM (9 replies)
  • CerebralAssassin
    1 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 7:32 PM
    hi, i just started this game.. if we are unwilling to spend money, are we stuck with the beginner clubs forever? are the beginner clubs good enough for the game?
  • AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:14 PM

CerebralAssassin:
    hi, i just started this game.. if we are unwilling to spend money, are we stuck with the beginner clubs forever? are the beginner clubs good enough for the game?

The starter clubs are ok on Kiawah or for the CTTH competetions. But to play Bethpage Black reasonably well you need to purchase at least a good driver.

• 2Stupid2Live
    31 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:41 PM

Hi,

I just started myself and your answer seems to be yes. I haven't been able to find anywhere where you can earn 2,000 credits to upgrade your clubs without paying cash.

I've played the whole 2 courses they have and am close to Pro. I've got a feeling my GIR is gonna take a huge nose dive on the Pro tees since I can't purchase a driver that goes over 220 yards.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case there's something I missed.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:12 AM

CerebralAssassin:
    are the beginner clubs good enough for the game?

Yes.

(Besides, you get free credits for advancing to a higher tier, which allows you to upgrade your driver.)

• 2Stupid2Live
    31 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:14 AM

Faterson:

(Besides, you get free credits for advancing to a higher tier, which allows you to upgrade your driver.)

Which driver can I get for 50 credits?

-Chris

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:15 AM

2Stupid2Live:

Faterson:

Which driver can I get for 50 credits?

-Chris

The Ready Go tournaments have a nice payout. It is certainly possible with good skills to profit well enough, relatively quickly, to obtain upgrades. Your 100 cr reward for advancing to the PRO tier will pay your first entry 2Stupid2Live. I see that you shot an amazing Even Par 35 your first time out on the Back 9 at Beth Page! Well done! I am sure, with your natural skill, that you will be placing in the money, and will be able to 'win' all your upgrades. Sounds fun!

I would love to try, starting over, to start with nothing and try to advance and obtain equipment only through tourney winnings, but alas, this would be against the rules of the site, and not very sportsman-like either!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:03 AM

birdwell:
    Your 100 cr reward for advancing to the PRO tier will pay your first entry 2Stupid2Live. I see that you shot an amazing Even Par 35 your first time out on the Back 9 at Beth Page! Well done!

Erm... You can't be serious, birdwell. Please remember: The very least that legitimate WGT.com site users should do is not to encourage abusers to continue their abuse, by engaging in any conversations with them. Please send a complaint to WGT instead, demanding the blocking of all abusers' user accounts. This should, actually, be everyone's duty, inasmuch as we're Beta testers and we should help WGT protect this site so that it is not vulnerable to the sort of abuse typical of these forums. The abuse won't go away until forum moderators, clearly designated as such, are installed here.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:15 AM

2Stupid2Live:

Hi,

I just started myself and your answer seems to be yes. I haven't been able to find anywhere where you can earn 2,000 credits to upgrade your clubs without paying cash.

I've played the whole 2 courses they have and am close to Pro. I've got a feeling my GIR is gonna take a huge nose dive on the Pro tees since I can't purchase a driver that goes over 220 yards.

I'll keep an eye on this thread in case there's something I missed.

I played the starter clubs and made pro. I continued using them for a while and my game reached a plateau at about a 76 score.

I upgraded to a better driver and putter and purchase the cheapest balls that give me a little backspin. I now average 71-73 on Kiawah and about 76-78 on BPB.

Should I ever decide to become Master, I will add better irons and wedges. But I enjoy the competition at this current level so have no plans to bust my budget.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:32 AM

Welcome to WGT Cerebral Assassin.... (2Stupid2Live also - might find some value in this)

Enjoy yourself here.  TO answer your questions and to offer some of my own experience....

I joined in February and I did just fine with the Starter Clubs and Starter Ball - I was able to advance first to Amateur and then to Pro without ever purchasing upgraded clubs.

I was able to ENJOY MYSELF and work at improving my game JUST FINE (for MONTHS!) with the Starter set.

I think sometimes for newer players it feels a bit overwhelming with all of the choices - don't overwhelm yourself - just work on your game, getting your shots placed well and certainly your putting.  You will be able to do this with the Starters.  Sometimes newer players feel like they have to advance through the levels all at once - but at the end of the day whether with upgraded gear or not, you STILL have to be able to hit the shots!  So practice well with your starters...and enjoy yourself (even though some frustration comes with that it is all a part of it).

When I reached Pro Level, there came a point where I felt I had improved my game as far as I could and at that point I upgraded DRIVER ONLY - after some time in the Pro Tier and when trying to attain Master, for reasons of DISTANCE (because each higher tier pushes your tees BACK further)  you will want to upgrade your Driver - but that is probably some weeks or months away depending on how much you play.

THE BOTTOM LINE ON CLUB UPGRADES:  (My Philosophy - others may differ)  Take your game as far as you can take it with the Starters AND THEN consider club upgrades.  At the end of the day, if you buy upgraded clubs and still can't hit the shots, the clubs won't correct that for you - and might even lead to frustration because you "just spent a bunch of money" and still can't get the approaches near the hole or your putts IN the hole - there are instances of this abound on WGT.  LOL

Some interesting History:  WGT was a far different place back in February 2009 when I joined - and I daresay far less "overwhelming" when I was a new player compared with now.  The only Stroke Play Course was Kiawah - and it was the FRONT 9 ONLY.  There was also a CTTH on Kiawah and also a CTTH on Bali Hai BUT THAT WAS IT.  There was no Master Tier at all - Pro was the Top - Master Tier appeared in late May.  In fact - if Memory Serves me, I don't think there was even ANYTHING yet stocked in the Pro Shop!  I feel like it had some static message that said "Coming Soon to WGT" or something like that.  Times have changed.

Final note:  IF considering upgrading ANYTHING - consider a ball upgrade - it is a "cheap" thing you can do without a major investment and it allows you to add a minor bit of enhancement to how your game is working without a major investment.

Enjoy Yourself Here!  AtlantaCoaster

• birdwell
    561 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:06 PM

Faterson:
    Erm... You can't be serious, birdwell

I am very serious. And I want my pony!

All seriousness aside... my point is that it is definitely possible to win enough credits to obtain upgrades. It might take a long long time, but it's possible.

Tour Starter irons and wedges are a great value for the money. The WGT Tour Pro driver and fairwaywood are about as good as the Raptures for less than half the price. 

My best 18 hole round of 61 came at Kiawah island with all WGT Tour starter clubs, from the pro tees. (i have matched that from the gold tees but haven't beaten it)

RSS