Help › Forums

Re: club L+ number

rated by 0 users
Tue, Feb 13 2024 10:55 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BTuck2112
    11 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2024 6:22 AM

Thank you all for the great advice! I picked up the long drive bundle and it had a great driver so I will use that one until L59

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Thu, Feb 8 2024 9:49 PM

BTuck2112:

Thank you all for the great advice! I picked up the long drive bundle and it had a great driver so I will use that one until L59

There is no L59 driver, and that L0 Titleist you just got is going to be just as good if not better than anything else in the L50s or even L60s (except the L55 TM which has 8 more yds and a slower meter, or possibly the L60 Callaway).  

Just offering my own opinion, but if I were you I'd stick with that driver until L74 TM, and then that one could last you until you get to the "end game" drivers in the mid-upper L90s.  As long as you keep your consecutive day streak going and play a few games per day the Levels will fly by until you hit the upper 80s, so it won't be that long.

Also, just a side note that @SamSpayaed and I both forgot to mention, you can't sell those Steam bundle clubs back for 25% of the purchase price like you can clubs bought directly through WGT, so you're kind of stuck with that Titleist in your inventory for life.  So because of this, if you do consider buying another driver before L74, I would definitely rent it first to make sure you're going to see real benefits over the Titleist L0.

As far as L59, a lot of folks recommend to upgrade to the Ping irons at that level.  As @Alosso said, they are the first decent irons available with High trajectory (good for stopping the ball quicker on faster greens) and they have respectable spin and good meter speed.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Sat, Feb 10 2024 12:16 AM

True, the benefits concern the PING irons and not the driver (@L58). Comparing the two drivers reveals

* + 1 yds for the PING

* +2 in forgiveness for the Titleist

* price * 2.06 for the Titleist which is moot once you've bought it and must be put in relation to up to 57 levels of earlier use. (it says L0, but players start at L1 ;) )

When I wrote "wait till L59", I didn't look at BTuck's L51 which is really close. There are some reasonable "new" PING clubs around L69 which may be worth a look, or wait till L81 for the driver(?)

Also, a closer look to the possible benefits of the other clubs is mandated:

3Wood:

The L58 Ping wins 15 yds to the L22 Max and trades other characteristics, at 2.5* the costs. IMHO, Max wins.
    The L81 Ping, which is the "gold" alternative to L59, wins another 5 yds but not much more, at 3.5* costs. Still expensive for a small gain.

Irons:

The L59 PING set wins 20 yds to the L23 Max, plus the High trajectory (and spin). The L81 is just a tad better. Prices are 1600, 2525 and 3125 crs, The L59 irons probably are worth it.

Overall, the L22/L23 Max look like great buys at reasonable costs.

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Sat, Feb 10 2024 9:32 AM

One other wrinkle to throw in these upgrade paths that hasn't been mentioned, and this again only applies if you don't mind spending real money as opposed to credits (just like BTuck already did with the Steam Driver bundle) - From time to time WGT will offer you a bundle (similar to the Steam ones) several levels below when you would be eligible from a level standpoint. 

In other words, you'll likely be offered a Ping bundle that will include L81 Driver/3WD, L83 Irons (and possibly some Wedges, I didn't do this offer so can't remember) somewhere in mid to upper 70s level.  

There was also another one offered to me (which I did take advantage of) around the mid 80s level that included the L90 TM Stealth Driver, L90 TM P790 Irons, and L86/87 TM Milled Grind Wedges.  I was very happy with these clubs until I reached the levels where the "best" clubs available come unlocked.  In fact if the meter speed was better I would've probably considered sticking with the L90 irons and never upgraded to the L97/100s.

The bad news with these WGT bundles is: 1) you can't purchase with credits you've already earned, you have to get into the pocketbook and spend real dollars  2) you'll get some folks calling you a "cheater" because you will be playing clubs that are above the level they would normally become available (i.e. a L86 player using L90 driver/irons) - just ignore them.  3) these WGT bundle offers only last a limited time, something like 24 hours, so you have to make up your mind quickly and don't really get any time to rent them and "kick the tires" before you buy.

The good news is: 1) you get a great value for what is offered (something like 60-70% off normal price, and they throw in some other things depending on the bundle - coins, credits, balls, etc...)  2) you get earlier access so don't have to grind through the last extra few levels until you can become level-eligible to upgrade  3) unlike the Steam bundles, you CAN sell MOST* of these clubs back when you "outgrow" them to help fund other purchases. 

* MOST highlighted because I also did one of these bundles for all 4 of the upper level Titleist wedges, and the only one they won't let me sell back is the 115yd 52* one, which of course is the only one I don't want since it's so close to the set PW.

• alosso
    21,038 Posts
    Tue, Feb 13 2024 10:55 AM

These are great opportunities

1) for the price reduction,

2) for the earlier access!

Especially from L90, there's a serious grind to arrive at a higher level; thus, the expenses on balls are severe!

• PAGES
RSS