Re: Tiers, when did they each start.

Mon, Apr 24 2023 6:52 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • garyk49
    2,316 Posts
    Sun, Apr 23 2023 10:31 PM

DodgyPutter:

I think Icon was the only TC early on.

Plus if I remember correctly from what I read at the time.  Icon was the only put there for testing purposes only.  Remember it from a post somewhere within the time frame of it happening.  Icon might have even posted it.

• Yiannis1970
    3,271 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 3:51 AM

DodgyPutter:

The following is a history mainly of the tiers in wgt.  This may not be the very beginning but I'm using it as the start of this. 

Welcome to the Public Beta

05 Oct 2008

A little over two years ago, a small team of us embarked on a simple idea—allow people to play world-famous golf courses online and feel as though they are really there. It didn't matter that it hadn't been done before, or that most people thought it was impossible.

ABSOLUTELY monstrous LIES!!!(at least partly...as it concerns not the online thing)

1995 or 1996 can't remember exactly the year, i was playing Pebble Beach and The K Ireland Club + a dozen more courses (mostly European) on my brothers laptop via CD. The courses were real pics and not CGI. REAL pics of the courses!! Of course back then, there wasn't any option of changing resolution etc.

As for the avatars:

The most famous players had given their permission to the game to use their faces and body parameters. There were 2 categories. European and American players. Nick Faldo was there, Bernand Langer was there, Ballesteros was there, another famous Swedish guy which i don't remember his name right now was there and of course my beloved Colin Montgomery (which i was picking all the time) was there too.

Freddy Couples and a bunch of Americans were there too...

Of course, there were no magic balls or clubs and either you had to pay for balls all the time. Every player had certain caratteristics: Driving range (Colin was on top), approach and putting ability and accuracy. According to these abilities, you could choose to do your rounds with any player you picked.

The game play was exactly the same as WGT + the fact that the avatar movement was close to the real player's movement. You could notice the differences easily. Inside the greens there were grids (but to be honest, i don't remember dots, but something like arrows which were indicating the break).

I remember playing it on a laptop over a year using left and right buttons (instead of a mouse...what a moron!!)  till i broke them both!!!

PS

Thank you DP for the post!!

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,521 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 5:53 AM

Yiannis1970:
    another famous Swedish guy which i don't remember his name right now

I bet it was Jesper Parnevik.

Yiannis1970:
    I remember playing it on a laptop over a year using left and right buttons (instead of a mouse...what a moron!!)  till i broke them both!!!

You must have a very nice brother, Yiannis. LOL

• Yiannis1970
    3,271 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 6:31 AM

Bingo Simon!!!

As for the second comment...i let it be. Not everything actually is what it seems. Guess that's life...

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,521 Posts
    Mon, Apr 24 2023 6:52 AM

Yiannis1970:
    Bingo Simon!!!

Haha ;)

Yiannis1970:
    As for the second comment...i let it be. Not everything actually is what it seems. Guess that's life...

Yup, very much so with... practically everything in life.

• PAGES
RSS