Help › Forums

Re: Third wedge

Wed, Jun 12 2024 2:02 PM (22 replies)
  • AlaskanDame
    19,274 Posts
    Thu, May 11 2023 11:46 AM

CSM111:

Never did a punch with wedges may try it 

In addition to the distance coverage, punching a wedge is especially useful for greens tilting uphill from you.  Ya don’t want to rollback and a punch shot usually won’t.

Also, punching from rough is useful,  From 30/40, a punch cancels the rough effect.  From 40/50, a punch cancels about. half the effect.

• Dneirf
    435 Posts
    Fri, Jun 9 2023 4:43 PM

• Squatch031
    189 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2023 9:00 AM

Biggest mistake I see is players using a hybrid wood as opposed to a third wedge.  I usually check distance of hybrid against their three wood and irons of those I play against.  Distance of an average hybrid is around 225 yards where the distance of a three iron, depending on clubs/level, is 215-225 yards. Anything above three iron can easily be covered by a three wood.  Basically, the hybrid is a waste as opposed to the benefit of a third wedge.

• ct690911
    7,205 Posts
    Mon, Jun 12 2023 10:08 AM

Squatch031:

Biggest mistake I see is players using a hybrid wood as opposed to a third wedge.  I usually check distance of hybrid against their three wood and irons of those I play against.  Distance of an average hybrid is around 225 yards where the distance of a three iron, depending on clubs/level, is 215-225 yards. Anything above three iron can easily be covered by a three wood.  Basically, the hybrid is a waste as opposed to the benefit of a third wedge.

Many experienced players fully agree with your advice to use a 3rd wedge vice a hybrid. I've read several posts suggesting the same and believe it to be fairly common place guidance in the forum. 

• CSM111
    122 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 4:30 AM

Good info . Has anybody see any stats in percentages or yards to add when punching with wedges out of different rough. I have notes on hitting full shots out of rough like. 20/30 % add10 yards, 30/40 % add 20 yards and 40 /50% add 30 yards Just wondering if there is anything like this for punches. 

• HamdenPro
    2,442 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 8:36 AM

CSM111:
    20/30 % add10 yards, 30/40 % add 20 yards and 40 /50% add 30 yards

I will be the first to say that I am not one of the better players on WGT or in the forums for that matter. Having said that, I never heard of simply adding a set amount of yards for all shots from rough.

I have been using a multiplier to obtain distance and then use the appropriate shot (sometimes) and club.

If I am faced with 30/40 rough, after adjusting for wind, I multiply the adjusted distance by 1.15 (or a 15% increase); 40-50 rough, I use 1.20 and increase by 5% for each jump in rough depth, so, 50/60 would be 1.25.

In deep rough, I tend to use a punch (unless within flopping range) and use the multiplier as stated above.

I never asked anyone if that was correct, just the way I have always done it and, usually, it works out well for me.

I am curious what other (better) players do.

• MioKontic
    4,631 Posts
    Sun, Jul 9 2023 9:41 AM

HamdenPro:
    I will be the first to say that I am not one of the better players on WGT or in the forums for that matter. Having said that, I never heard of simply adding a set amount of yards for all shots from rough.

Back when I started, and indeed CSM111 as he started a few months before me, we did indeed add around 10yds for 25-30 rough. 15-20yds for 30-40 rough, and I can't remember the rest.  We also used to just take off 6yds for full backspin.  But that was all with lesser clubs and balls; with the clubs and balls we have now that has all changed.  What the figures are now I can't say, and I can't say because I don't know, I just play what feels right, sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm not... just like real golf  :)

• Maccam24
    8 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2024 1:22 PM

My wedge question is where is a distance gap in your clubs the most problematic….

My Ping L59 irons go down to 115 yards.   My max spin wedges are at 90, 75 and 60.

Seems like the gap between 115 and 90 is wayyyy too big and is at a popular distance.  But is adding a wedge for around 100 yards and losing the 60 yard wedge better?   Or is losing the middle wedge and having a gap between 90 and 60 better?  Or a gap between 75 and 100?

Seems like you need the 60 yard wedge for sand traps etc.    But none of the other options sound too good either.

I have got reasonably good at hitting less than 115 with that club.   So leave it alone and quit complaining?

Obviously I did not plan this very well…..

• CSM111
    122 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2024 4:13 AM

Agree with percentages. Which I do use now 

• SamSpayed
    4,953 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2024 3:40 PM

Maccam24:

My wedge question is where is a distance gap in your clubs the most problematic….

My Ping L59 irons go down to 115 yards.   My max spin wedges are at 90, 75 and 60.

Seems like the gap between 115 and 90 is wayyyy too big and is at a popular distance.  But is adding a wedge for around 100 yards and losing the 60 yard wedge better?   Or is losing the middle wedge and having a gap between 90 and 60 better?  Or a gap between 75 and 100?

Seems like you need the 60 yard wedge for sand traps etc.    But none of the other options sound too good either.

I have got reasonably good at hitting less than 115 with that club.   So leave it alone and quit complaining?

Obviously I did not plan this very well…..

You did nothing wrong.  The MAX Spin wedges are very good wedges, especially for the price.  

Just stick with those 3 wedges until you get to Level 67 and 68.  Then look at the Callaway Jaws Full Toe wedges at those levels.  WGT may even offer you free rentals for them.  If you decide you like them and buy them, you'll end up with 100-80-60 yd spacing if you replace your 90 and 75 yd MAX Spins with those, which would match up very nicely with your 115 yd PW.

RSS