Forums

Help › Forums

Re: rapture pro set

Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:24 AM (6 replies)
  • molideha
    213 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2009 6:41 AM

my thoughts before i play them;

3wd: sure, an extra 10 yards will probably prove to be a wonderful improvement....many par 5's and even the dreaded 10mph headwind on BPB15 will now be reachable.

2h: not so sure about this one...rapture players often agree the 3hybrid is perhaps the most valuable of all the raptures, especially when playing from the master tees....2h at 17º is clearly a different club and i'm not convinced 215 yards is a useful distance.

irons: so we are getting 1 extra dot of precision and 10 extra yards...i've not played them yet, but the old rapture 3i was pretty much useless given its lack of spin and trajectory...a useless club that goes 10 more yards is more useless, not less.

so i'm going to give them all a go for a few days...but my 1st impression/guess is that i'll end up going with the Pro 3wd with the old 3h and irons.

gl

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2009 9:17 AM

my thoughts after playing the new rapture pro set (minus the driver of course);

generally speaking, all of the clubs performed to their rated distances...including the 7i, chips and pitches.

i played 18 ranked holes at BPB (master tees of course) and as expected,  never once used the new 2 hybrid....of course, had i encountered a head wind on #3 this would have been a handy club.

to much surprise, even though the rapture pro set indicates the same trajectory as the old raptures (med/high), i saw vastly improved trajectories on the 3i and 4i...meaning the pro 3i at 200 yards filled in nicely for the now absent 3 hybrid....including using the 3i on #15 from 182, wind 7mph to 12 oclock, the 3i hit to 2.3' and birdy...old rapture 3i simply does not have the required trajectory to be useful on #15 from any distance.

where as in the past, i played 85 and 50 yard wedges to fill the gap under the PW, there is now a wider gap...given the lack of usage for the 215yd 2h, i might expect to go to a 3 wedge bag playing the rapture pro irons (110-200).

complaints: none...i shot 60 at BPB sight unseen with this club set....my comments on the 2 hybrid are not a complaint, just an observation that there are rare uses for a 215yd club from the master tees, on either course.

gl

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Nov 20 2009 10:17 AM

Thanks, Molideha, very useful feedback. I'll be testing the new Rapture set in a minute in a 3-hole ladder match.

As to filling the gap that got wider after today, I'll try it with 2 wedges to start with: the 77-yard 60-degree TaylorMade wedge, and the new 50-yard 64-degree TaylorMade wedge.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 1:17 PM

The Pro+ Rapture clubs perform very well indeed. I agree with you Molideha, the 3 iron has more trajectory, and with the right WGT ball, they land a lot softer along with the 4 iron.

I used to play with WGT starter irons. Rapture Pro+ irons has transformed my game.

If you want to be a master golfer at WGT, these irons will make it possible.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 7:55 PM

Faterson:
    I'll try it with 2 wedges to start with: the 77-yard 60-degree TaylorMade wedge, and the new 50-yard 64-degree TaylorMade wedge.

Good move. The 77w punches 63 and mapping it will get you easily to the 64w which will go up to 55 w/topspin. Both stick like glue and back up on demand so be careful with the backspin.

YJ

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Tue, Dec 1 2009 9:52 PM
    The new 3 and 4I cannot be compared to the old. With new and right balls I have hit so far the kind of shots that one can only dream of includint: inside 2ft on kiw #4,5 inside 2ft on bp 17th 7I still has issues, and sometimes 8I does when you hit bs, it is really shown on kiw #6 when you are into wind from about 130 into 8mph wind, hitting full bs 140, only goes 128
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 3 2009 7:24 AM

Is it me, or has anyone noticed a increased deviation on the Rapture pros? They seem to have lost a bit of their forgiveness. Before, I could miss center by 1 or 2 millimeters and the ball stayed true in flight, now they have a distinct movement left or right on an off center hit.

The clubs still play great with good spin, and trajectory, I was just wondering if anyone else was experiencing this anomaly.

Play well.

RSS