Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Tour SD, Tour S ball performance bug

Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:14 AM (3 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Oct 22 2009 9:46 PM

Both of these ball types are rated with extra distance and also with extra spin.  It is true, you get more distance and you get more spin.  However, you do not get both in conjunction with each other.  The bug is in how the ball distance modifier is being treated when backspin is applied.  The variance between using backspin on a shot with these balls as compared to not using backspin is extreme.

For instance, using my Ping G10 Master 5 iron, rated 175 yds, and using an SD ball, I can get a result of about 178-180 yds on level ground using neutral spin.  However, if I apply full backspin to the shot, my ball will not only carry less distance in the air (a clear anomaly considering every other ball has its carry distance increased with backspin), but it will only fly average between 170-172 yds.  If I was getting the benefit of both the extra distance modifier and the extra spin modifier, my ball would carry in the air further and stop faster, not carry less distance,  In no way should a ball with 2 dots of extra distance end up with less distance than the club rating when backspin is applied, yet this is the case time and time again.

If I had to venture a guess, the distance modifier is being negated when the backspin on these balls is being applied.  We are ending up with clubs that can have up to 10 yards worth of distance variance, and this is not factoring in any of the normal deviation or "beast".  This is not how the balls should affect a shot.

If I use that same 5 iron and hit it full power with an SD ball, it should go 178-180 yds.  If I use full backspin I would expect a result of 175-178 yds. As I said above, in no way should the shot ever go less than the rated distance with a ball that has an extra distance modifier.  Please adjust the calculation for how the backspin modifier affects the distance.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Thu, Oct 22 2009 9:55 PM

Thats why I went back to the GI-D ball. Never knew how far it was going to go with the SD. Thanks for posting on this Ed!! :)

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 3:52 AM

My observations with the Tour-S indicate varying inconsistency.  I will make a note in regards to applying spin on the Tour-S.  If you apply spin {dot just below the horizontal} you get far more consistency than applying full back spin.  Utilizing that amount {dot just below the horizontal} of spin you get the performance of the XD balls with a less roll and more carry.  At times using full back spin you may or may not achieve the desired end result. 

Although this thread is not the proper area to mention this aspect.  The ball cost to club ratio is high.  I would think if they reduce the cost by half WGT would sell alot more of  these balls in the long term.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:14 AM

Unanswered thread.

RSS