Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Matchplay Leagues - Call for Entries and Committee

Wed, Mar 17 2010 1:08 AM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 2:12 PM

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have, so I'll make it brief with my responses.

Plim:  It is novelty golf because on a professional level it is rarely played.  I believe that out of all the worldwide events at the top level, there are only 6 that utilize the Match Play format.  6 tournaments out of at least a 100 implies novelty to me.

YankeeJim:  I respect your point of view, but let me ask you this:  Why else turn an otherwise Stroke Play based game into a direct hole-by-hole competition between 2 people if it were not for some form of ego-seeking? 

In stroke play, you win because you recorded the best score versus all your competitors.  In match play, you win because you beat the other guy you were playing against.  Do you see the difference in psychology between these 2 types of play?  In one form you play with people, in the other you play against them.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2009 4:48 PM

T-got your point of view and see that we are in different places on that. I'm just a head-to-head type.

In a nutshell, slor-I'd like to participate but know I don't stand a chance at stroke play. I'm all over it if we get match play implemented-maybe next week as WGTAlex has indicated next week is the next update.

YJ

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Oct 15 2009 11:16 AM

hi Slor hope the interest is growing now the the matchplay option in multiplay is here. keep posting updates and keep this forum at the top of the community comps. all the best.

Tibbets

i said i respect your opinion so respect mine. i'm aware that most golf comps are strokeplay i'm not stupid.  this is the only form of golf that can cater for large numbers of players, everyone against the course. Matchplay is the form of golf i like playing the most so for me like i stated is the best form of golf. it certainly isn't novelty golf just because its played in a smaller number of comps. i think your getting matchplay golf and trying to hit a ball between the blades of a windmill confused. oh and by the way thats called crazy golf. i respect your views and your opinions and what you have acheived here on WGT.

keep up the good golf and maybe we'll pass on the course one day, the only difference will be that you will be 8 under and i'll be 3 up. respect. 

• lvietri
    3,326 Posts
    Sat, Oct 17 2009 5:53 PM

Slor . what happens next ? When do we start ???

• slor
    902 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 5:18 AM

Hi all! After gauging interest, I am not proceeding with the matchplay leagues - I refer you to the ladder and I think they are doing a fine job. Stay tuned - I'm not done organising tournaments yet! slor

• pantherguy2watch
    3 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 6:17 AM

Tibbets, I couldn't have said it better myself. I'm just around par avg. but some I've played with seem to be just like him. To me those are the ones who need to be in a group of their own for the sake of"W.G.T." golfers.

• DDHarmon
    10 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 3:46 PM
    I love the idea greatly I love playing with other people and I love competition.
  • DDHarmon
    10 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 4:00 PM
    Match Play rocks.. If you hit 3 balls in the water you dont lose the game, you just lose the hole.. Its a whole lot more competitive as in you can stay within 1 or 2 holes of someone better than you, instead of falling back 6 strokes... I played my Dad 20 holes on Match Play on an 18 hole game, and i hit 11 on one hole, hitting 3 balls in a lost ball zone, and almost came around to defeat him.
  • ZipZapGuy
    32 Posts
    Tue, Mar 16 2010 5:51 PM

I would play in this league.. Hope to play soon..

• slor
    902 Posts
    Wed, Mar 17 2010 1:08 AM

I'm still not organising this one, but look at the ladder site...

• PAGES
RSS