Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Credit Card Security

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:48 AM (6 replies)
  • FalconAF
    1 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 1:26 PM

Hi.  I'm new to WGT.  After playing a couple "practice" rounds (unrated) I decided to purchase a couple new items from the Pro Shop.  But....

When I select an item to purchase, then click "Buy Now", it brings up a white "overlay" screen to enter my credit card info, etc.  However, there is no indication anywhere in my browser (Internet Explorer) that this is a "secure" connection.  The "padlock" icon is nowhere to be seen in the URL address line, etc.

How can I be sure that the information I enter (credit card number, etc) is actually being transimitted over a secure connection?

Thanks for any info.  I won't make any purchases until I am POSITIVE that my transaction information is secure.

FalconAF 

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 1:28 PM

Sign up for a 'PAYPAL' account. It is unaffiliated and the #1 used payment method on EBAY.

It is free and acts as an intermediary between you and who ever you are paying. I am not including a link because that would not be secure.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 1:37 PM

I have had no qualms about sending my information to WGT.. but that's me.  You are right to be wary in today's society and should be commended for making sure that your information is safe and secure.

I am here to echo SoulCatcher's advice.  Sign up for and utilize the PayPal system.  There is a very good reason Ebay paid $1.5 billion for it, it is safe and secure.

Good luck with the new gear! 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 2:12 PM

FalconAF, WGT confirmed some time ago that this is another bug on this site, namely that some elements on the payment page (to be precise, the ads) are not delivered in a secure way, which is what prevents the whole page from being validated as secure. However, the portions of the webpage where you enter your credit card info, are secure. You can verify this by visiting the payment page in, for example, Internet Explorer 8. When opening the payment page, IE should ask you: "Do you want to open only the secure elements of this webpage?" If you reply, "Yes", the payment page will load, without the ads.

But, a much easier option is using PayPal, and you can forget about the security bugs on this site.

• Fuzzygazz
    1,469 Posts
    Sun, Oct 4 2009 3:33 PM

Go with pay pal

• cdp8x
    1 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:21 AM

How do you use PayPal to buy credits?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 8:48 AM

When buying credits on this site, you can select PayPal as payment method. WGT's Buy Credits page will then redirect you to PayPal.com, where you need to log on and confirm the payment.

If anything is still unclear, please ask a more specific question.

RSS