Help › Forums

Re: New guy and I am addicted

rated by 0 users
Sun, Dec 20 2009 1:05 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • niterydr
    4 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 12:26 PM

I've started using this method when putting and have noticed it helps.  Thanks for the advise.

• NDogger
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 1:42 PM

I am definitely addicted. This is better than any video golf game I've played and it has to be one of the most realistic games. I wonder how this site is serviving financially w. ads and players buying credits that can't possibly keep this site afloat. Anyhow, when I am having down time it gets filled up pretty quickly with this game.

Also, the rough is very tricky to hit out of especially the 15th hole at Bethpage Black..that is one of the hardest holes on this site.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 3:20 PM

Yeah, gotta pitch from that rough at hole 15, and upgrade the club by 2 or 3 from what the auto-caddy selects for you.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Wed, Sep 16 2009 4:15 PM

Correction to something I posted earlier:  Oh, another thing, for you newbies, that you might try when putting is to adjust the power so the ball goes passes the hole.  I usually aim about 2 feet past.  That technique will also takes some to of the break out on those short side hillers.  You'll need to practice this to get any good at it.

Joey

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Thu, Sep 17 2009 6:27 PM

Hello all. I've been reading & 'hacking' around here since Apr. Didn’t really know all the nuances of the game, but I'm catching on. Old computer, slow internet, starter clubs. No wonder why I can't seem to get much better. This reminds me of real golf, fun & frustrating. Bethpage rips me apart so I stick primarily with Kiawah. BTW my putting is 'fair' at best, but my trick is to use a metric ruler to gauge power.  For the 30' scale 1cm = about 2.5'. For the 60' scale it = about 5'. If I could get consistent swing meter speeds I might get a little better. You all are correct on practice strokes. I discovered them by accident due to my inconsistent meter & found that after 2 practice strokes my shots are 'usually' better.

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 2:35 AM

Hey resozv, is that Steve Strikers picture?  If its you, you could past for a twin brother.

OK, back to golf...Since we started this forum talking about putting, I have had some success with using the *60ft scale for all putts, yes, even those 30 feet and under.  This technique seems to be more forgiving and my power meter is less erratic.  Unfortunately it won't help figure out the breaks and distance.  If nothing else, its like having a more forgiving putter and I didn't have to pay for an upgrade.  I'm not saying this is the best way to putt, but the "Big Guns" have figured out something that most of us haven't...so we all need to think outside the box or we'll never be able to compete with them.

Joey

*Of course you will need to use the 150 ft scale for longer putts.   

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 4:59 AM

Yeah that's Steve. I do look like him a bit, but can't pass for his twin.

I'll give the 60' scale some trials. Like you I don't care to buy equipment & guess I should be happy shooting around +7.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2009 5:33 AM

Try using the 150 ft scale for shorter putts. If you look up Nivlacs excellent putting primer by searching the forum you'll discover that all the scales on your putter become usable.

I have the Redwood putter and Faterson is so right about it. It has 5 scales and is very accurate. You have built-in putts of 6 6 9 12 15 just using the first movement of the avatar. The Anser putter got me to master and I went for the upgrade to Redwood when it came out, wondering how much better they could make the Anser. WOW. You'll just have to see for yourself.

Before springing for the new putter take your stock putter out, find a flat green and putt back and forth using the different scales. Just because it says 150 ft doesn't mean you have to be a mile away to use it. I use my 150 ft scale for 15-17 ft putts with excellent results. The shorter backswing makes it easier to nail the stroke and the ball seems to roll truer.

As I remember, the scales on the stock putter are 6, 8.5 and 17. It's been a while since I had that so I might be off but you can figure out for yourself what it is.

In the end, when you think you're doing ok with the stock putter, go get the Redwood and see for yourself. "WOW-this is way easier." comes to mind..............gl

• ThisTime4Sure
    6 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 12:56 PM

I'm still baffled at the focus on putting when the approach should land you within close range of the flag where putting skills are irrelevant. The focus should be on consistently landing is the same spot on the fairway every time instead relying on putting as a last ditch option for par.

Also, you do not want to increase the scale for any shot. That's absurd. You want the smallest scale possible at all times. It ensures the most precision.

In addition, the Redwood is no better than the Anser. They both have a 15 ft scale. If you're landing further away from the flag than that...I wouldn't be concerned with putters if I were you.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2009 1:05 PM

Joey-Go collect cans and bottles, sell newspapers on the corner, search the couch and car for loose change and get the Redwood. Faterson is right on-the putter kills with 5 scales and a big ol sweet spot.

YJ

• PAGES
RSS