Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Think This Should Be Sticky Thread...Wind and Elevation.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Mar 13 2011 8:43 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JeffGooch
    263 Posts
    Fri, Mar 11 2011 7:43 PM

into the wind short iron approach

0-20 mph = same as distance to pin

strange how that works

I guess with the high trajectory, the ball flys over wind and has no effect

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2011 12:52 AM

I failed maths..It's just a head strain...lol... what I did when i started was to write the wind, what club, how far away from the pin and how far your shot went and how short or far it was away from the pin on a piece of paper. What I found you hardly come across the same conditions and yardage again...lol... but  you start to learn what clubs you basically need to use... the more games you have the better you will get.

Good Luck

Roger

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2011 7:20 AM

I  use the guidelines below except where previous experience on the hole dictates otherwise:

Headwind/tailwind: Add or subtract half the wind (10 mph wind = add/subtract 5 yards).  This includes 45 degree winds - they have the same effect on distance even though you instinctively want to take less wind into account.  This does not apply to chips and pitches, and wind also has much more limited effect on punch shots.

Crosswind: The longer the shot the greater you need to compensate ie: more time in the air allows the wind to effect flight more.  This all by feel for me.

Elevation: Generally, and again previous experience on the hole will dictate exactly how to approach this, I will add or subtract one yard for each 5 yards of elevation change.

All simple math that can be processed in your head in a couple of seconds.

Or follow Yappy's advice above and you'll probably be close too!

• Calafort
    50 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2011 8:25 AM

cjfelton:

Elevation: Generally, and again previous experience on the hole will dictate exactly how to approach this, I will add or subtract one yard for each 5 yards of elevation change.

Assume you mean "for each 5 feet of elevation change"?  In which case I agree!! :)

• cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2011 8:43 AM

Good catch Cal, yes that was feet and not yards.  Hopefully there are no relative newcomers who donated some balls based on that equation!

• PAGES
RSS