Help › Forums

Re: Meter worse after last update?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:27 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 5:39 PM

Does anyone think it plays smoother with the Callaway ball?.  I haven't had any meter problems since I switched.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 6:00 PM

Boomerboy44:

Does anyone think it plays smoother with the Callaway ball?.  I haven't had any meter problems since I switched.

I have used them since they came out, have not noticed any meter difference. 

At the moment I am playing at Kiawah though and meter is smooth for the first time since days.

I have really tried everything. All browsers (except IE coz I am on Mac), updated the Flash to latest release and also the 64 bit beta (which I currently run), checked that nothing is running that steals CPU and memory, clean boots. Everything. Now it is smooth, but not because of any of the deliberate actions I have done. It is a mystery and  very annoying.

While writing, I got disconnected. At the moment of disconnection the fan on my computer turned off. Now I reconnected and immediately the fan is on. CPU in rest, for Flash only, is 23%. That is a lot. Checking the network traffic, I see that the game is very busy pinging friends lists, tourny updates and a whole lot of completely uninteresting stuff. There is room for improvements. Flash is Flash, it has it's limitations. Therefore it is not a good idea to push it to the limit. What is important when you are in a game is the game itself, the players in the game. WGT, stop forcing it to compute garbage!

• borntobesting
    9,629 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 6:32 PM

Boomerboy44:

I have noticed no difference since I switched. Then again,with only a few exceptions I always have had a smooth meter.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Fri, Feb 11 2011 8:27 PM

I have played some more now and the stroboscopic meter is no more (although I'm sure it will come back), but the occasional regular hickups is there still. Actually, what I consoder a "smooth" meter is not smooth at all, there will be at least one small twitch at each shot. I am wondering how many that has gotten so used to them that they consider anything less than a centimeter jump "smooth"?

I realize why this game is still in beta phase, because if it was not, WGT could not say we play it on our own risk in the same way as they do now. They would have to ensure the game is stable and that we do not lose money due to it's instability. Because we do. This bug (yes, it is a bug and a huge one as well) is costing us money. I played a RG just now, since the payout system has changed, and missed birdies on the first two holes due to meter jumping when I putt (ok, I am not 100% sure they would have gone in anyway, but I am 100% sure they did NOT go in). Winning credits is not money, but if you win credits you do not have to buy them. The balls is another thing. They sometimes go lost when meters %&%€& up and you never get them back. I understand that you do not get them back from water but I am sure you would never lose 100% of your balls that goes out of bounds or into the shrubberies in real life.

Seriously WGT, why do we need to complain about this meter all the time? It is no fun, we, I, do not do it to torture you, I do it because the useless meter is taking away a lot of the joy that this game would otherwise offer. I complain because you will eventually have to fix it anyway and you should do it sooner rather than later.

If it is so that you have tried everything there is to try, then you simply need to take another route. Maybe a simple animation rather than a computed meter? It is all about time anyway but we need something reliable to find our rythm. Now, I have noticed, a lot of my concentration is actually dedicated to "spot the jumps" and abort the shots rather than to just wait for the right moment to click.

It is like dancing to construction work.

• PAGES
RSS