Help › Forums

Re: Realistic Scores with Starter Clubs

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 2 2009 10:36 PM (4 replies)
  • AidanNicolson
    2 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2009 3:42 PM

Hi all,

I had a quick search for this already, but couldn't find anything that was a specific answer. 

I'm still using the Starter Clubs given to you when you first sign up.  I'm contemplating upgrading, but that's a different story. 

I'm now consistenty shooting around the 78-80 mark with these clubs and was wondering how low people have gone, consistently, with the Starters.  Can I expect to practice a little more a shoot Even or Sub-Par rounds?  I'm in the Pro tier (something which baffles me, but I can see that it baffles everyone else too), which makes some holes quite long and un-birdieable.

I've birdied most of the holes at different times at Kiawah, but I'll never be able to do that in a single round because of wind direction.  Or can I?

Done.

• speedyschic
    948 Posts
    Sat, Aug 1 2009 7:24 PM

I still use mostly starter clubs and I am very competitive in the closest to the hole competitions. You may want to purchase just a driver at first to gain distance off the tee. The precision is low on the starter clubs. I hit the perfect mark most of the time and occasionally I will end up 20 feet left or right of where I aimed. Clubs with better precision will improve this. I have tried lots of different clubs. I just do not like the fast swing meter. But.... If you want to eventually compete with the masters in stroke play, it will not be done with starter clubs. If you don't mind the recurring charge of buying balls, you can buy balls with high "feel" to counteract the fast swing meter of the "better" clubs.

Hope this helps..

Good Luck

• HAWK64
    14 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 8:58 AM

You can surely shoot really low with the starters.   I have seen people shoot 29 for nine with the Starters, includiing the putter.  I know people who made like 7 birdies in a row with the basic set.

The problem is, if you really want to compete at the Master level, you will need the newer clubs for DISTANCE as well as for accuracy.  You need to be able to putt for birdies, so you need to reach the greens, you need distance from those back tees

Anyway, if you want to be great at this game, you need to be able to land your approach shots at least within 15 feet or less to the hole consistently.  But, above all, you need to putt.....putting is the name of this game.,,,just like in real golf. 

Shooot....Tiger is great because he is the best putter of all time, in my opinion.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 9:13 AM
    Silver Birdie Streak

Silver Birdie Streak

8           This was with all the original clubs in the bag, a long time ago I might add. Several have  birdied all nine. This being the front nine on Kiawah, as that was all that was available! 
  • AidanNicolson
    2 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 10:36 PM

Thanks guys.

I'm not really sure that I am looking to buying into this game yet - financially, that is (I've certainly wasted enough time on it to have 'bought into it'!.  I might wait until it is no longer BETA testing.  A timeline of when new courses, etc will become available might help with that decision.

Anyway.....so it looks like that by just using the starter clubs, sub-par rounds can be scored.  I scored a 74 or 75 this morning, so I am getting closer.  I'm not really looking to compete in and win tournaments. I haven't really even had a look at how and why to enter.  I have no real desire to move up to Master.

Sounds like I can still improve with the starter clubs and be happy.

RSS