Re: Golf Balls by the Dozen ???

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 8 2009 9:01 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 2:39 AM

Crusty56:
    A ball seems to last about two rounds, give or take.

To clarify, you probably meant 18-hole rounds, right? Because if you, for example, only play multi-player (these are only 9-hole rounds currently), a GI-D ball definitely lasts longer than 2 rounds. Perhaps 4 rounds (give or take) if we multiply your estimate for 18-hole rounds.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 8:20 AM

Nine holes is a half round of golf, 18 holes, out and back, is a round. Even WGT's programing recognizes this, and doubles the 9 hole scores to arrive at a players "average".

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 8 2009 9:01 AM

Nope, Crusty56. Techincally you are correct, of course, but not in the context of this game. When you visit any player's profile page, the item in the stats called Total Ranked Rounds Played includes both 18-hole rounds and 9-hole half-rounds, and treats all of them equally, 1 to 1, as if all of them were full rounds. If someone plays 24 half-rounds and not a single full round here on WGT.com, the number given in that line is still 24, not 12. The same terminology mismatch can be observed in many places elsewhere throughout the game interface. I guess the word half-round is too ugly for someone to use it on a consistent basis, and I agree. Remember there's nothing but "half-rounds" in multiplayer and it would seem pretty silly to say, "Hey, let's play a half-round of golf tonight!"  

Sometimes, however, the same mismatch leads to some rather serious statistical bugs. A fellow forum poster pointed this out a few days ago. When you look at someone's Putting Avg. Per Round item in their Stats, the number given is meaningless precisely because WGT forgets to double the putting scores achieved in half-rounds. So, for example, my own Putting Avg. Per Round right now is 17.84, which is nonsense. It's a figure that is relevant neither for my half-rounds nor, obviously, for my full rounds, my Putting Avg. Per Hole being 1.76.

• PAGES
RSS