Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Observe Function: Why not?

Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:29 PM (7 replies)
  • sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:23 AM

Many online games have an observe function that allows anyone on site to watch other players play the game. Poker, Scrabble, and others come to mind. From personal experience within m.i.r.c. and my country club, I KNOW this would be an extremely popular option for WGT. We have had as many as 50 people watching matches on Procaster, ie., Ryder Cup, WMP, and just some high profile grudge matches. The problem with Procaster, and Livestream, is high resource requirements and video quality. Sometimes requiring a third party in the game to do the streaming, while the opponents concentrate on the match. I know this would require some increased resources from WGT. But hell, it is something I personally would be willing to pay for. For example, 100 credits to watch a match between Avatar Lee and BolloxenBrudges, or a Ryder Cup finals match. There are a multitude of possible scenarios of games people would be willing to shell out a few credits for the opportunity of watching persons of interest go at it.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:39 AM

It's been done on here before sir.

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:53 AM

whats been done?  The idea or the implementation?

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 8:17 AM

sixkiller:
    We have had as many as 50 people watching matches on Procaster, ie., Ryder Cup, WMP, and just some high profile grudge matches. The problem with Procaster, and Livestream, is high resource requirements and video quality.

And that 50 was capped, there were more waiting in the wings for a seat so to speak.   

neildiamond11790:

whats been done?  The idea or the implementation?

The idea was implemented during the Ryder Cup and the World Match Play.   Not WGT endorsed though.   Seveking opened our eyes to this one.

Cheers,

b0gey

• neildiamond11790
    1,115 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 11:41 AM

BB, I know about livestream, I was one of the 50 many times watching.  Not sure what piztaker was referring to, the idea to have this option on wgt, or that we had the capability on wgt.

I would also pay 100 credits per match for this function.

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:24 PM

neildiamond11790:

BB, I know about livestream, I was one of the 50 many times watching.  Not sure what piztaker was referring to, the idea to have this option on wgt, or that we had the capability on wgt.

I would also pay 100 credits per match for this function.

Sorry about the confusion Neil.   I think OP would like to see this as an option from WGT, players could jump into matches and watch live.    Not sure what piz is talking about either.

Cheers,

b0gey

• StoneColdKiller
    76 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 1:53 PM

I would also love to be able to watch games for credits.

Also, while setting up the game, creator of game could set an option 'public' or 'private' to respect the players' right to privacy.

As I understand it, server capacity would be the main concern of WGT. The question whether or not 100 credits/ 1 dollar per person watching 'x' number of matches will be profitable or not is what will and should be asked; is it worth renting/buying more servers?

It is not my job nor am I qualified enough to answer this question, therefore I suggest that we come up with methods of implementation as I'm sure a lot of you have good ideas to share.

I, for one, do not believe that our ideas here fall on deaf ears, only our underestimation of how much hassle it takes implementing seemingly easy ideas.

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Wed, Dec 29 2010 7:29 PM

piztaker:

It's been done on here before sir.

Piz, i referred to that its been done, but the outside options, ie. procaster and livestream, and possibly others leave something to be desired. WGT could do it better if they so desired. (HINT)

RSS